Have you ever lived in a vehicle?

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
One of my backup plans in life if things don't work out well is to buy a van and live in a caravan park near a tourist-centric city where work is available. My main hobbies are gaming, reading and learning languages so I don't need much space to enjoy myself. Depending on how climate change plays out, increased levels of natural disasters may make being mobile a big advantage. The main issues with such a lifestyle is it's hard to find a girlfriend and it will be hot in summer and cold in winter.

Have you tried this before? Did you do it out of choice or necessity? What unexpected challenges did you face? Would you recommend it? Is there anything else you'd like to say?

Reactions: impeeza

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried? I wouldn't call it so much trying as I would doing. But yeah. In my mid-twenties, I graduated college, in debt up to my ears, no job, and no family members willing to taking me in. All told, it was about a good solid year of living in a Sprint Geo. If you've never seen one, please, look it up. You should get a good belly laugh.

Of course, I did get a job quickly, but it just wasn't enough to support the deposit, first and last month's rent, plus utilities, so it took a while. Got a membership to the YMCA, showered there daily. Got through it. The hardest thing was finding places to park where the cops wouldn't hassle me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unless you live on a tropical island I would not put climate change up on the list much.

Done American travel trailers that were probably nicer than my first flat (which was in a rich old industrialist's mansion) but that probably does not count.

Back of the van for a few days during festivals. Prefer a tent actually there as they are not that well insulated and also if your windows fog up imagine what it is like breathing all night. Gets better if you do it up - some friends did nice carpet, insulation, log burner. Lesser amounts of time during distance movements or just crashed out for a few hours before getting back on the road.
Kitted out a few for people as well with dual batteries that tap the alternator, inverters (always spend up for the real sine wave rather than modified), had several more do the travelling mechanic/nurse/builder/... thing but that is more a means to an end and pointedly saving money vs hotels rather than indeterminate timelines. This is all in the UK and northern Europe though where police don't really care until you bother someone else. Compared to what I see online for the US and Canada where stealth camping is a thing then... different worlds. How tall are you as well? I can't stand up in a normal or mid size transit, high tops and luton body is a different matter but also a different matter for a lot of things.

Further to the mechanicals there will be more wear on the vehicle, especially batteries, tyres and such. If a part breaks you are either stationary or without a place to sleep so account for that -- camping spot, hotel for as long as parts take, if the engine blows badly then how do you transfer and modifications you make for the internals?

Reactions: felix.200

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by SylverReZ,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
No, never - only perhaps 1 hour relaxing on the almost fully unfolded seat :D

If we play with the definition of "lived" I certainly like long haul trips!
If we play with the definition of "vehicle", and it was sufficiently near free, sure, I'd like a VW Westfalia T2 :D
I wonder if a "mobile home" works here as tax elusion - buy land, make a very small and modest building so that it gets an address (which in Italy is assigned to entrances, not buildings), get utilities fitted and terminated to it, then do your actual living/hobbies/warehousing in an assortment of caravans and containers not attached to the ground...

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, never - only perhaps 1 hour relaxing on the almost fully unfolded seat :D

If we play with the definition of "lived" I certainly like long haul trips!
If we play with the definition of "vehicle", and it was sufficiently near free, sure, I'd like a VW Westfalia T2 :D
I wonder if a "mobile home" works here as tax elusion - buy land, make a very small and modest building so that it gets an address (which in Italy is assigned to entrances, not buildings), get utilities fitted and terminated to it, then do your actual living/hobbies/warehousing in an assortment of caravans and containers not attached to the ground...
A van or a soccer mom car is perfectly doable if need be to sleep in it. Just fold down all seats and then try to make it as cozy as possible.

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tried? I wouldn't call it so much trying as I would doing. But yeah. In my mid-twenties, I graduated college, in debt up to my ears, no job, and no family members willing to taking me in. All told, it was about a good solid year of living in a Sprint Geo. If you've never seen one, please, look it up. You should get a good belly laugh.

Of course, I did get a job quickly, but it just wasn't enough to support the deposit, first and last month's rent, plus utilities, so it took a while. Got a membership to the YMCA, showered there daily. Got through it. The hardest thing was finding places to park where the cops wouldn't hassle me.
Sounds like a very uncomfortable year. A Sprint Geo is just too small to sleep well. That your family weren't willing to take you in was harsh.

Reactions: GeekyGuy

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
One of my backup plans in life if things don't work out well is to buy a van and live in a caravan park near a tourist-centric city where work is available. My main hobbies are gaming, reading and learning languages so I don't need much space to enjoy myself. Depending on how climate change plays out, increased levels of natural disasters may make being mobile a big advantage. The main issues with such a lifestyle is it's hard to find a girlfriend and it will be hot in summer and cold in winter.

Have you tried this before? Did you do it out of choice or necessity? What unexpected challenges did you face? Would you recommend it? Is there anything else you'd like to say?
My suggestion, get a hammock. With the right underquilt + topquilt to suit the weather, you can sleep comfortably at any time of the year, as long as there are trees. Better than a bed :)
I've slept in a hammock in as cold as -17C, although I maybe wouldn't want to sleep in a hammock in weather that cold long term because breathing freezing cold air all the time isn't nice and it makes your throat extremely dry. You can pick a place that doesn't get that cold. In spring/summer/autumn and any temperature down to about freezing a hammock is just perfect. Colder than about -5C breathing the cold air gets annoying.

ragnarok_approaches123

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Gets better if you do it up - some friends did nice carpet, insulation, log burner. Lesser amounts of time during distance movements or just crashed out for a few hours before getting back on the road.
With some time and money to research, plan and renovate, it will become quite a comfortable van. Still not ideal but good enough.
Kitted out a few for people as well with dual batteries that tap the alternator
Not sure exactly how to deal with batteries. My idea was to buy three bulky powerbanks to keep a phone and iPad charged at all times and charge the powerbanks and a laptop at a caravan park or local library. This has the downside of needing to travel long distances when it's cooler or the food in the fridge will spoil.
How tall are you as well?
Tall enough to need a longer van to lay down in. I won't be able to stand up inside.
Further to the mechanicals there will be more wear on the vehicle, especially batteries, tyres and such. If a part breaks you are either stationary or without a place to sleep so account for that -- camping spot, hotel for as long as parts take, if the engine blows badly then how do you transfer and modifications you make for the internals?
This is a concern which I'll struggle to deal with. My only idea so far is to keep a tent in the van. My other main concern is how to safely store two gas bottles and three powerbanks. If someone hits me there could be an explosion.
My suggestion, get a hammock. With the right underquilt + topquilt to suit the weather, you can sleep comfortably at any time of the year, as long as there are trees. Better than a bed :)
I've slept in a hammock in as cold as -17C, although I maybe wouldn't want to sleep in a hammock in weather that cold long term because breathing freezing cold air all the time isn't nice and it makes your throat extremely dry. You can pick a place that doesn't get that cold. In spring/summer/autumn and any temperature down to about freezing a hammock is just perfect. Colder than about -5C breathing the cold air gets annoying.
Australia never gets as cold as Norway. Sleeping in a hammock is something I'll only do if my van is at the mechanic because I don't feel safe sleeping without four solid walls around me.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With some time and money to research, plan and renovate, it will become quite a comfortable van. Still not ideal but good enough.

Not sure exactly how to deal with batteries. My idea was to buy three bulky powerbanks to keep a phone and iPad charged at all times and charge the powerbanks and a laptop at a caravan park or local library. This has the downside of needing to travel long distances when it's cooler or the food in the fridge will spoil.

Tall enough to need a longer van to lay down in. I won't be able to stand up inside.

This is a concern which I'll struggle to deal with. My only idea so far is to keep a tent in the van. My other main concern is how to safely store two gas bottles and three powerbanks. If someone hits me there could be an explosion.

Australia never gets as cold as Norway. Sleeping in a hammock is something I'll only do if my van is at the mechanic because I don't feel safe sleeping without four solid walls around me.
"solid walls"
Show me a locked van and in a few minutes I will show you the inside of it, I am not that good at such things either -- show it to the people that taught me such things and 30 seconds on a bad day (one of the more amusing stories there was one guy's in laws locked the keys in the van, he went round there, his wife rang the bell, by the time they made it to the door to answer it, this being a small UK house and said in laws still spry, he was standing there with the keys).
If you are also concerned about creepy crawlies (you did say Australia after all) then... yeah.

Re gas bottles.
Modern ones are fairly well rated not to explode, as are consumer power banks.

Dual batteries is something any vaguely good mechanic will be able to handle (though it gets far cheaper to do it yourself -- isolation switch, tap from the alternator and run a fat old wire hopefully not through the fire wall*, possibly a charge management, few deep cycle batteries, said pure sine wave inverter, enough stuff to hold it all down and isolate electricals). Builders, miners, weekend campers, nature photographers... have such things installed all the time and if you only want it to charge a few things (by the way solar panels do well for this if you can coat a part of the roof).
It tends to only get fun if you want to run microwaves, kettles and tools themselves from it. If you wanted to get one of those big boy house grade power banks then some of that comes as one.
Get some kind of camping ground, farmer's field to stay in, friend's driveway or something you can have shore power from and you are laughing (though also likely need to spend a tiny sum to get the suitable power leads in the case of most camp grounds).

*quite a few van models have batteries under the seat in the cab or even in the back already these days.

Electrics might not be your thing which is fair enough, however you do want to be able to check oil, probably be able to change it in a pinch, check other fluids, check tyres for tread, wear, uneven wear and such. Might not also be the worst plan to have a cheap code reader either.

Re keeping food fresh. Those peltier cool boxes do very well (though they are less good at getting temps down so might have to sacrifice some space and go buy a bag of ice every so often), and gas bottle fridges (as in powered by gas bottle, called absorption cool boxes if you want the more technical name) are a thing still as well.
I am usually more concerned with heating food -- gas, charcoal bbqs, gel fuels... whatever do get kind of expensive when you are out for more than a weekend or one off or making the odd cup of tea. Solar ovens https://www.treehugger.com/best-solar-ovens-5120148 being wonderful things in this and that is in the UK, somewhere that actually gets some sun and you are laughing.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube randomly recommended me this video and it's honestly really good and helpful. I for example wasn't aware of that film protection for windows, but it does make sense and adds another layer of protection.

We don't plan on our vehicles getting smashed/wrecked or someone attempting a home invasion, though if it happens, you're better off being prepared to defend yourself.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Carlitos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been living in my car for a few years now. It all started in 2015, when my landlord at the time didn't like that I couldn't pay rent in time (about seven days late from the start of the month). I was waiting for the VA to send me a check as part of me going to school for rent. My landlord gave me an ultimatum and said "what are you going to do?" I said, "well, I guess I'm going to move out." I sat for 15 minutes, thinking about what I'm going to do, and suddenly the idea of living in my car came to me (quite the lightbulb-over-your-head moment).
I've been living in my car since then, although I did rent from another landlord for about 2 1/2 years total. (2017-2018 and 2020-2021). What started as being in an "unwanted" situation turned into something I really enjoy and welcome.
I keep most of my belongings in a storage facility. The most I have in my car are my clothes, my laptop, a gym bag, a fan, a portable stove, two/three gallons of water, another battery to power some of my electronics, and my pillow and blanket (or a sleeping bag when it gets chilly).
I go to the gym for when I want to shower and go for a workout there to stay in shape.
I use my 5G Hotspot for internet and when I run out of data I use public WiFi from a nearby store.

For personal challenges, it took a bit of a while to know where it was safe and appropriate to sleep in my car.
I remember someone sneaking up behind my car late at night, but I was dumb enough to leave all my windows open and being the only car in the middle of the neighborhood (it was hot, didn't have a fan).
Dealing with the heat and cold was another challenge. For the summer, I needed a USB/battery-powered fan to make it through those hot nights. It was a life saver. Those hot nights make it unbearable to sleep without one. For the cold, I needed to buy a sleeping bag and sometimes cover my sleeping bag with a blanket when it got really chilly.
I have more things I can say, but I'll leave it as that if anyone has more questions.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've been living in my car for a few years now. It all started in 2015, when my landlord at the time didn't like that I couldn't pay rent in time (about seven days late from the start of the month). I was waiting for the VA to send me a check as part of me going to school for rent. My landlord gave me an ultimatum and said "what are you going to do?" I said, "well, I guess I'm going to move out." I sat for 15 minutes, thinking about what I'm going to do, and suddenly the idea of living in my car came to me (quite the lightbulb-over-your-head moment).
I've been living in my car since then, although I did rent from another landlord for about 2 1/2 years total. (2017-2018 and 2020-2021). What started as being in an "unwanted" situation turned into something I really enjoy and welcome.
I keep most of my belongings in a storage facility. The most I have in my car are my clothes, my laptop, a gym bag, a fan, a portable stove, two/three gallons of water, another battery to power some of my electronics, and my pillow and blanket (or a sleeping bag when it gets chilly).
I go to the gym for when I want to shower and go for a workout there to stay in shape.
I use my 5G Hotspot for internet and when I run out of data I use public WiFi from a nearby store.

For personal challenges, it took a bit of a while to know where it was safe and appropriate to sleep in my car.
I remember someone sneaking up behind my car late at night, but I was dumb enough to leave all my windows open and being the only car in the middle of the neighborhood (it was hot, didn't have a fan).
Dealing with the heat and cold was another challenge. For the summer, I needed a USB/battery-powered fan to make it through those hot nights. It was a life saver. Those hot nights make it unbearable to sleep without one. For the cold, I needed to buy a sleeping bag and sometimes cover my sleeping bag with a blanket when it got really chilly.
I have more things I can say, but I'll leave it as that if anyone has more questions.
What kind of vehicle is that you call home?

boot3

Internet trash
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's probably one of the scariest things about this to me, having to go to sleep hoping that nothing bad is gonna happen.

Carlitos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What kind of vehicle is that you call home?
A 4-cylinder 2016 Toyota Camry (regular, not hybrid).
That's probably one of the scariest things about this to me, having to go to sleep hoping that nothing bad is gonna happen.
Yeah, that's understandable. It can be scary at times. I always have my keys next to me, just in case.

Reactions: boot3

Smoker1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Waiting to go from Army Reserves to Active Army. Was told I had to wait 6 Months before going Active so I could be Proficient in my Job, but they had Civilians doing the Work. Was living out of a 1992 Geo Metro, doing Labor Pool Jobs, and Donating Blood Plasma.

Reactions: Carlitos

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto