Have you become a video game "cranky" salty codger yet?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mx8TEn3.png

Have you become like him yet? Telling all the new kids how gaming was back in the day, games were difficult, looked plain and not as amazaing as it does now? Have you become a retro junkie towards todays youth?

R4HgU8P.png

Trying to convince people that games aren't cheap, is just how is made, challenge is a good thing, you just lack skills? How about tired of hearing people like this complain about how people are being unfair, only to end it all by saying "GIT GUD"

tumblr_inline_nt1vwri3Bo1rj11ap_500.jpg

I bet some of you have, you think you may have become like this have you? A old man cranky kong salty codger of video games. Admit it. Have you? Come on and share. Don't be standing next to uncle scrooge disappointed in how bad the new players are today.

tumblr_najkbmYijB1t09dnqo1_1280.jpg

Or rather i compare you to Yoda from star wars? :creep:

yoda-sensei.jpg

(Okay i ran out of pictures) So down to business, basically if this wasn't clear, this topic of discussion is anytime you may have once talked about gaming to younger people who didn't know what it was like in the past. Anytime you may have felt like Cranky Kong or made any references to his personality at all. Weather it be as a joke, to upset someone, teach someone a lesson or just give helpful advise, just talk about it. :)

(If you didn't like the jokes or references, i am sorry i tried my best)

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Raylight and cearp

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yep... I'm one of those older gamers who feels that the current generation of gamers(aka: everyone younger than me*) are a bunch of spoiled brats who like complaining more than actual gaming. But I'm usually too busy gaming than proving that 'my' gaming generation complains as well. ;)
(Btw: i don't think that'git gut' remark is old. We still have the idea that some remarks can't be shrunk without losing context).

... And i have to say it: you miss the reference in the scrooge and cranky picture: both of them have a pogo stick to jump over pikes whereas shovel Knight doesn't. So it's not about old vs new school (duck takes and donkey Kong have relatively new entries in their series).

*I'm 35

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... And i have to say it: you miss the reference in the scrooge and cranky picture: both of them have a pogo stick to jump over pikes whereas shovel Knight doesn't. So it's not about old vs new school (duck takes and donkey Kong have relatively new entries in their series).

*I'm 35
I purposly left that reference out for youngsters to recognize. :P

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Kids these days don't understand. Games used to be gameplay first with replayability out the wazoo. I can't tell you how many times my brothers and I played through Super Mario Bros 3, World, DKC, Star Fox, etc.. Kids these days just want interactive movies. Hell, they don't even seem to want the interactive part as they're happy to just let Pewdiepie play their games for them.

Humbug. Get off my lawn.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. I still like games. They are not yet good, more would have to embrace the science and maths of games for that to happen, but they are better than what came before.

Fans of games on the other hand, actually most are OK by virtue of shear numbers.
Vocal fans of games on the other hand, I won't say I wish they would go away as I actually enjoy winding them up.

Reactions: Raylight

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hell naw. sure in some ways games were "better" in the past. I love the turn based battles RPGs used to have instead of all the new systems for one. but in a lot of other ways they're better now.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I mainly put the blame on the whole DLC craze.
Unfinished games getting finished through DLC.

I mainly love older games but I still enjoy the newer games.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
While I tend to agree on the fact that these days lot of games are less difficult than old games, I don't think they are "worse" or "better". There has always been bad games, even 30 years ago, we just don't remember them because of how bad they were :P
Although, I must say I hate one thing: mobile gaming in general, with all its shitty pay-to-win games, color swaps, clones, and of course the "community" that support those games. This market had a lot of potential imo, but since most people playing on mobile think that $5 is a expensive for a game, it doesn't really surprise me.

Reactions: 576VoltKawaii

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, I am a cranky kong salty codger of almost everything in life. I can get annoying sometimes just by being cranky. In part is because I believe in learning from mistakes and it angers me seeing "dumb" problems in games/music/movies. I can't concieve really well a world where games/music/movies just get worse and worse (imho).

Reactions: Raylight

576VoltKawaii

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Same here, I've been like it for about a year now.
I was talking to a guy called Luigi_Fan, he mentioned that the NES era had some brutally difficult games :)

While I appreciate the fact we have better technology and such, I feel it's not being optimised for or being used or pushed as much as it was back then, in my opinion. Back then, they had to actually push the system to its limit to get something good out of it, now they don't even need to try.

I feel just in general games don't make you feel like they have even got any effort put into them as much as they did back then, although of course there are exceptions.

@TheKawaiiDesu Nice post!

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess sometimes the reasons why some classic games were hard if you played alone, and not with a friend. But then again, if games limited your progress based on one players lack of skill, then every co-op game would be battle toads. So to break some walls here. If you were playing a difficult game and thought two players makes it easier? Think about who you choose as player two, cause they will either make it easier or harder on you.

(flash back to contra games when stealing lives was a thing.):creep:

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Definitely.
Not so much the games themselves, but more the communities and general crap around them.

I hate all the meme crap, the hive mind think around things, and people in games being as unpleasant as possible simply because that's the standard setting for many.
Or how you can actually see they think they're smart and/or witty while they're writing like a lobotomized monkey with half an arm at the same time.

Playing Dota 2 for years probably didn't help with my overall view, and may have put me off public matchmaking for life.

</rant>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night