Harmonix starting a croudfund for Rock Band 4: PC Edition

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
cCZShfW.png

The company behind the popular game series Rock Band, Harmonix, has begun a croudfunding campaign of $1.5 million to bring Rock Band to PC players. There are several different perks, and promised features include full controller support (Although those are sold separately!) and Steam Workshop support.

Source: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/rock-band-4-pc
Place your pledge here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/rock-band-4-pc/pledge

Last edited by loco365,
Reactions: GamerzHell9137

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What caused the collapse of music games? Time was I could not go a day without having to post a release of it or some DLC for one, now it seems it is all but absent.

Anyway not that I have ever had a problem with companies trying this sort of funding/presale but I am especially OK with people trying to prefund less common/"viable" types of games that have a fair fanbase.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What caused the collapse of music games?

Both EA (Rockband) and Activision (GH) up and decided they'd milked both games enough and the profits were no longer where they wanted them to be.
At least that was Activision's stance, but I have to imagine a company like EA thought the same.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What caused the collapse of music games?
Oversaturation of the market, of course. The gameplay has barely changed since the first guitar hero, and for a good reason: the only reason people play these games is because of the songs. So as soon as there was DLC (since rock band 2, iirc), these games had barely anything to offer that the audience wanted.

Both companies obviously knew this, and sort of raced each other to bring out song packs (games, if you will) until things weren't profitable anymore.

Still...a crowdfunding is pretty pathetic. Despite the milking process, these games still made millions (ahem). So now they want 1,5 million dollars to allow people to buy something that is essentially a virtual music shop? Yeah...no. If I want to guitar hero/rock band on pc, I'll go with frets on fire. If I want to play music, I'll go with rocksmith.
(it's a guess, but I think those managers at harmonix know this as well...but are too incompetent to calculate whether their game will make a profit on PC regardless).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated