Harmonix starting a croudfund for Rock Band 4: PC Edition

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by loco365, Mar 1, 2016.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited by loco365, Mar 1, 2016
    GamerzHell9137 likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    What caused the collapse of music games? Time was I could not go a day without having to post a release of it or some DLC for one, now it seems it is all but absent.

Anyway not that I have ever had a problem with companies trying this sort of funding/presale but I am especially OK with people trying to prefund less common/"viable" types of games that have a fair fanbase.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Both EA (Rockband) and Activision (GH) up and decided they'd milked both games enough and the profits were no longer where they wanted them to be.
    At least that was Activision's stance, but I have to imagine a company like EA thought the same.

4. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    these stop being good along time ago funding this is stupid games r crap

5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This is just sad.

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Oversaturation of the market, of course. The gameplay has barely changed since the first guitar hero, and for a good reason: the only reason people play these games is because of the songs. So as soon as there was DLC (since rock band 2, iirc), these games had barely anything to offer that the audience wanted.

Both companies obviously knew this, and sort of raced each other to bring out song packs (games, if you will) until things weren't profitable anymore.

Still...a crowdfunding is pretty pathetic. Despite the milking process, these games still made millions (ahem). So now they want 1,5 million dollars to allow people to buy something that is essentially a virtual music shop? Yeah...no. If I want to guitar hero/rock band on pc, I'll go with frets on fire. If I want to play music, I'll go with rocksmith.
    (it's a guess, but I think those managers at harmonix know this as well...but are too incompetent to calculate whether their game will make a profit on PC regardless).