Homebrew HANS source code now publicly available!

D

Deleted User

Just pray for it standing on one leg with a piece of lego under your foot. With balancing a gateway card on one finger and hoping that gateway team would find a solution soon. You can also recite the recent tweet by rxtools thrice every time you perform this sacred kernel exploit ritual.

Soon TM it will arise out of nowhere!
wow that hurts! (physically).LOL
really, any good news in sight?

wiibomb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If only someone could fix the C-stick & Zr Zl support, the circle pad support..

And also the screenshot function button mappin since the home button becomes blocked when online

DarknessMonk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I really don't think that something game-changing will come from this, because the main piece of the puzzle, the *hax, don't have the source open. Still, great from smea and i hope that everything i just said becomes bullshit.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So I have a basic grasp of C (a.k.a able to write a few shitty apps), and from what I can tell from this code HANS doesn't actually run in the background while the game is running, it just patches before launching. Am I wrong in assuming this? I see a couple of calls that suggest threading going on, but it doesn't seem that once the loader is called that anything else is running (in fact it calls its own exit code).

If I'm right, this means a couple of my ideas are invalidated :/. I'd still like to know what is allowing screenshots while the game is running.

Reactions: MrCheeze

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I get that, but I'm trying to understand if HANS not doing anything after launching the game is just consequential to the app's function and you can in fact run code while the game is running, or if there is no actual way to do it.

D

Deleted User

So I have a basic grasp of C (a.k.a able to write a few shitty apps), and from what I can tell from this code HANS doesn't actually run in the background while the game is running, it just patches before launching. Am I wrong in assuming this? I see a couple of calls that suggest threading going on, but it doesn't seem that once the loader is called that anything else is running (in fact it calls its own exit code).

If I'm right, this means a couple of my ideas are invalidated :/. I'd still like to know what is allowing screenshots while the game is running.
as some1 already said somewhere, it just saves the screenshot tool in ram, and when the game thinks that it calls the home menu, it actually calls the screenshot tool, which saves the screenshot and resumes the game.

EDIT- I mean that if I understand it right, every game gets a pointer to the start of the function of the main menu, which enables it to run menu while playing. HANS sends a false pointer to the app that is running (as that person says)

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted-236924

One of the first things I think people are going to look into is running updates alongside romhacks (I.E Smash/Pokemon)
I read something 'bout people unpacking the updates themselves and getting the files from their romfs to copy them into the actual game's romfs so it would run them, or something.
I'm not entirely sure if anything happened from that.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
as some1 already said somewhere, it just saves the screenshot tool in ram, and when the game thinks that it calls the home menu, it actually calls the screenshot tool, which saves the screenshot and resumes the game.

Right, but is there a way to have an app "call" this while a game is running? That's what I'm trying to ask.

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, I get that, but I'm trying to understand if HANS not doing anything after launching the game is just consequential to the app's function and you can in fact run code while the game is running, or if there is no actual way to do it.

Could this be used to do some sort of cheating engine?

I read something 'bout people unpacking the updates themselves and getting the files from their romfs to copy them into the actual game's romfs so it would run them, or something.
I'm not entirely sure if anything happened from that.

I thought it was only a PoC, haven't tested it though (I was trying to combine the Yo-kai Watch update with the game, but most of Level-5 games' files are packed into a huge .fa file, and the update comes with a 23mb .fa file, so unless I unpack this file it's not going to work).

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Could this be used to do some sort of cheating engine?

Not what I had in mind, but yes, it would. I was thinking more along the lines of a non-hardmod video recorder. Preliminary tests show that it would take hours to record something (via frame by frame screenshots), but it would be an option at least for those of us without a capture card installed.

In layman's terms I'm trying to basically automate someone mashing the home button repeatedly, but at a consistent rate such that when converted it will actually become a video with a steady frame rate.

Last edited by LeifEricson,
Reactions: Ryuzaki_MrL

Ryuzaki_MrL

Green Thunder
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not what I had in mind, but yes, it would. I was thinking more along the lines of a non-hardmod video recorder. Preliminary tests show that it would take hours to record something (via frame by frame screenshots), but it would be an option at least for those of us without a capture card installed.

In layman's terms I'm trying to basically automate someone mashing the home button repeatedly, but at a consistent rate such that when converted it will actually become a video with a steady frame rate.

I was also thinking on a video recorder, but thought it wouldn't be possible, at least not on an o3DS.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I was also thinking on a video recorder, but thought it wouldn't be possible, at least not on an o3DS.

The concept itself would be possible, in fact Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 takes its videos in a similar way (by taking frame by frame screenshots.) The issue is getting sound (which may not be possible), and figuring out a way to even automate the screenshotting in the first place (also maybe not possible).

You'll just have to wait a pretty long time... a screenshot takes what, a second or two? Let's say you skip every other frame and make it a 30fps video, that's 30 or so seconds per second of video, so for an average 3 minute Smash replay that'd be 1.5 hours. So it'd be an overnight type of deal for something like a full Pokemon battle video, and definitely couldn't be used for anything other than replays.

EDIT: Not to mention there's no way in hell it could encode on the fly, these times are basically if you dump the frame buffer straight to file and then convert later. So it's really almost not worth it, more of a proof of concept that I wanted to try and implement. Best case scenario, let's say you make it 24fps and then assume that only capturing the top screen takes half a second, you'd get probably get a max of 5min/hr vs 2min/hr, which is still pretty damn slow.

Last edited by LeifEricson,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30