Hardware Hall Effect sensor joycon sticks on Amazon

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something I ran into was that it seems most of the joysticks I ended up with have a VERY noticeable CLICK when the stick is moved in the up direction with it oriented as if it is in the left joystick position on the Lite (with the cable pointed left and down from the unit). I had actually ordered 12 of them (I wanted to have extra and to replace several Switch Lite sticks), and all but 1 have this click. 2 have a significantly less pronounced click than the other 9, but it's still there. With those 9, it's significantly louder than pressing the clicky buttons and almost as loud as clicking the stick in. You can also feel that click as if something is catching on and then slipping past something else in the unit. I find it quite distracting and a bit concerning.

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in the Guli pro controller, but I've heard murmurs they suffer from input delay/worse latency than regular sticks. Would appreciate some clarity on whether that's true or not.
I have been use one as my primary since May of last year and haven't noticed any delay/lag. Happy to do some testing if you have something specific you want me to check. Only thing I can think of is that the buttons have a bit more travel than my 8bitdo controllers (Pro2 and Ultimate). The 8Bitdo Ultimate is new and have been jumping between the GuliKit and it. I prefer the GuliKit sticks and triggers but the 8Bitdo buttons. The GuliKit sticks are slightly taller and a little less springy. The 8Bitdos have programmable rear buttons that I miss. Another quality of life feature is that the GuliKit controller can wake the Switch and NFC. For some reason 8Bitdo has not implemented that yet.

Maskyyy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Something I ran into was that it seems most of the joysticks I ended up with have a VERY noticeable CLICK when the stick is moved in the up direction with it oriented as if it is in the left joystick position on the Lite (with the cable pointed left and down from the unit). I had actually ordered 12 of them (I wanted to have extra and to replace several Switch Lite sticks), and all but 1 have this click. 2 have a significantly less pronounced click than the other 9, but it's still there. With those 9, it's significantly louder than pressing the clicky buttons and almost as loud as clicking the stick in. You can also feel that click as if something is catching on and then slipping past something else in the unit. I find it quite distracting and a bit concerning.
any chance you can make a phone recording so we can hear how bad the clicks are?

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
any chance you can make a phone recording so we can hear how bad the clicks are?
Hopefully it comes through well. It was even louder when I had it installed in my Switch Lite, it seems it resonated in the case or something. At the beginning I move the stick in the other cardinal directions to show the click is only in one direction.

Apologies for the background noise, I was recording near my PC.

Attachments

• IMG_3803 (2).mov
    8.3 MB
Last edited by AngelofWoe,

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That click would drive me nuts. The sound and especially the feel. Would a magnet correct/alter this?
It drove me mad to the point that I disassembled my Lite again and went through every single joystick just to find the two that did it least and I'm very much considering returning the rest (other than the pair I broke one on purpose) because of this. It's really annoying, and even the one that wasn't doing it at all has started a little.

• Wow
Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely sounds like plastic on plastic. Looking at your disassembly photos. Would it be worth it to lightly shave where the pieces touch? Maybe it’ll get better with time, after the parts shave themselves. Probably best to return those. Could be a bad batch.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they a exact copy of the original or much better?

Cause I really hate joy-cons joysticks type, it's small, low margin of movement and completely suck for any kind of shooter.

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they a exact copy of the original or much better?

Cause I really hate joy-cons joysticks type, it's small, low margin of movement and completely suck for any kind of shooter.
They're about the same in physical dimensions, and have a similar cap by default. The stick is interchangeable, though. Where you would get compatible tops that might be to your liking I do not know.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're about the same in physical dimensions, and have a similar cap by default. The stick is interchangeable, though. Where you would get compatible tops that might be to your liking I do not know.
Damn that suck so bad cause it's awesome that they use hall sensor but when the joystick it self completely sucks the magnetic sensor can't fix anything sadly.

Is there any know Switch joy-con joystick replacement that is completely different than the original making it work more like a full precise joystick to the hand?

Ps: my joy-cons are still working like new cause I barely used the console since 2018, but if there was a completely different form factor making it much more like a big full joystick I would change right away cause else all I can do is go for a 3rd party joy-con replacement...

victorstk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This click is probably caused by the spring inside, normal joycon sticks also have that problem and I had this issue on mine too, if you can open it without breaking the tabs you can adjust the spring internally and stop the clicks

AngelofWoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This click is probably caused by the spring inside, normal joycon sticks also have that problem and I had this issue on mine too, if you can open it without breaking the tabs you can adjust the spring internally and stop the clicks
Thank you. I'm not sure I can manage that one, I have a really hard time getting them open.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GuliKit sticks are slightly taller and a little less springy.
Does this mean they are slower to return to center? Just ordered one (GuliKit KingKong 2 Pro Controller) and will get tomorrow. I'll test with some Metroid Dread Glitches that require near frame-perfect movements...

Last edited by urherenow,

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean they are slower to return to center? Just ordered one (GuliKit KingKong 2 Pro Controller) and will get tomorrow. I'll test with some Metroid Dread Glitches that require near frame-perfect movements...
I don't know as I would say slower. I would say slightly less spring resistance and perhaps slightly more thumb travel. It could also simply be that my brain is registering the reduced resistance as more travel.

If you point me to the glitches I can give them a try. I can ESC through shrine doors in BOTW without too much trouble but that's more on the d pad than the sticks I guess.

andreluis034

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Am I the only unlucky person that may have gotten a defective unit? Ordered mine on amazon es from Aknes-EU. Replaced both joysticks and the ribbon cable doesn't appear to fully connect with the joystick board on both sides. If I go to the test page while the controller is "dissambled" if I touch the ribbon, the joystick starts "drifting" to the top-left, same behaviour as if it were disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by andreluis034,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only unlucky person that may have gotten a defective unit? Ordered mine on amazon es from Aknes-EU. Replaced both joysticks and the ribbon cable doesn't appear to fully connect with the joystick board on both sides. If I go to the test page while the controller is "dissambled" if I touch the ribbon, the joystick starts "drifting" to the top-left, same behaviour as if it were disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Got any pics to compare with the ones in this thread? Sure would be helpful!

andreluis034

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Got any pics to compare with the ones in this thread? Sure would be helpful!
I already had everything packed up for returning, but I gave it another shot the result however was the same.
Here are the joysticks I received:

PXL_20230119_170109395.jpg

PXL_20230119_170116379.jpg

Here's the left joy-con dissembled:
PXL_20230119_170352000.jpg

The Gulikit joystick in place, however it looks like the ribbon is a lot longer(?) than the original one:
PXL_20230119_170940652.jpg

And when in installed there's a small gap on the other side:
PXL_20230119_170807920.jpg

Here's a video trying to exemplify what's happening, I only get this behaviour in the original joycon, if the connector "lock" isn't locked:

In the video there is a screw missing on the joycon because now I couldn't even use it stably with both screws.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY