Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
half-life-movie.jpg
Gamers have imagined for years what a movie based on "Half-Life" might look like. So have lots of Hollywood deal-makers, it turns out, but Valve hasn't found anyone outside of their own walls who could pitch a treatment they approve of. In fact, they would just as soon make their own movie if such a project happens at all, and the "Team Fortress 2" short films that they've put together already may have given them a confidence boost to do a full-on adaptation.

"There was a whole bunch of meetings with people from Hollywood," Valve co-founder Gabe Newell told PC Gamer. "Directors down there wanted to make a 'Half-Life' movie and stuff, so they’d bring in a writer or some talent agency would bring in writers, and they would pitch us on their story. And their stories were just so bad. I mean, brutally, the worst. Not understanding what made the game a good game, or what made the property an interesting thing for people to be a fan of."

Gabe's entrepreneurial spirit took a look at the situation, however, and it sounds like at least a few other staff members at Valve agreed with his assessment.

"That's when we started saying 'Wow, the best thing we could ever do is to just not do this as a movie, or we’d have to make it ourselves,'" he explained. "And I was like, 'Make it ourselves? Well that’s impossible.' But the 'Team Fortress 2' thing, the 'Meet the Team' shorts, is us trying to explore that."

Seeing a video game studio break out do such a thing would be quite coup, but Valve broke the mold when they set up their own distribution channel through Steam, and not even Activision or EA has taken steps toward becoming the Marvel Studios of the games industry. Some has to do it first, right?[/p]
icon11.gif
Source (MTV Multiplayer)

They still need to finish the Meet the Team videos, a Movie would take decades.

D

Deleted_171835

That would be great!
Since it would be coming from Valve, it would be faithful to the series!
I hope Valve goes along with this idea.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If it comes directly from Valve, there is no way they can ruin it (except maybe making Gordon talk)!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah it'll be crap. The story in the games is alright but nothing extends outside of videgames.

They can do great games but I doubt they can do movies.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Edhel said:
They should just make make the movie from a first person perspective of Gordon.
wink.gif
no No NO !!!!! - don't you remember how they tried doing 'first person perpective' in the Doom movie !!!!!
Do you think they could do a whole 90mins worth like that ???
That was the only good part of that film.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
CannonFoddr said:
Edhel said:
wink.gif
no No NO !!!!! - don't you remember how they tried doing 'first person perpective' in the Doom movie !!!!!
I wasn't complaining it was a bad idea (although the film itself was C**p) - just the fact I don't think a 90mins film would be all that good if it was like that all the way through

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
CannonFoddr said:
Edhel said:
wink.gif
that part was crap. as well as the rest of the movie.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read this as "NO HALF LIFE MOVIE". And thank God.

Why does everyone want video game movies yet we all know they're gonna suck. They do it for a quick buck, not to make a good movie.

Honestly, if I want to see Half Life in all it's glory, I may as well play the fucking game. The Orange Box is like $30 on Steam and that's Half Life 2 and both its episodes. Half Life Source is like $10 on Steam. Get both of those for $30 + Portal + TF2 and it sure as hell beats seeing any movie.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
One of the problems with a game->movie conversion in this case is that the protagonist is not only silent, but is mostly not shown throughout the games. To change that in a movie would place him out of character, but to keep him that way in a movie setting would ruin the movie itself.

If anything, Gordon Freeman would *gasp* not be the main character, but an important figure in the movie, who isn't filmed a lot, and is usually filmed from a distance, with a few closeups. The protagonist would be some newcomer, who looks up to Freeman (but probably never interacts with him), and befriends people like Alyx and others of the main cast (who would get a good amount of on-screen time).

Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Nah, teh movie would be awesome!!1!one!!
Can't you see it? Gordon Freeman played by Leonardo di Caprio, Alyx by Demi Lovato, G-man by Mark Dacassos....
Gordon would have to find a princess who was kidnaped by Eli Vance, Alyx's evil step-father (played by Dolph Lundgren), with the help of Thommy (portraited by Dylan Sprouse), a new kid on town that happens to be there and have a "destined fate".
Best. Movie.Ever.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DiscostewSM said:
One of the problems with a game->movie conversion in this case is that the protagonist is not only silent, but is mostly not shown throughout the games. To change that in a movie would place him out of character, but to keep him that way in a movie setting would ruin the movie itself.

If anything, Gordon Freeman would *gasp* not be the main character, but an important figure in the movie, who isn't filmed a lot, and is usually filmed from a distance, with a few closeups. The protagonist would be some newcomer, who looks up to Freeman (but probably never interacts with him), and befriends people like Alyx and others of the main cast (who would get a good amount of on-screen time).

Those are just my thoughts on the matter.
Hmm you mean a bit like 'Barney' the security guard (like in 'blue shift' when the guard sometime saw Gordon in the distance) ?? - now that I think would be an interesting point of view

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: just like us fr