Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Cluster, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    There is always small chance that for some games the emulator isn’t perfect with every game perhaps obscure games or modded games in which case retroarch might be needed to fill in the gaps.

Mega man x2 and x3 has their own special chips which may not even be emulated for example.

I know i’m also somewhat interested in running sega emulation on SNES or NES mini with the Hori Controller since it looks like with a little keybinding has the proper Sega button layout of three or six buttons.

Last edited by Baggins, Oct 1, 2017
  2. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for clarifying, I read on MyNN that the software was compatible with the NES one

3. The Frenchman

The Frenchman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Who would want a border in a border? Anyway I'm sure there whould be a way to patch a gb rom into a super gameboy dump.

No idea if it's ever been done, I guess interest isn't high enough, maybe these games rely on the system too much and not only on the code of the Super Gameboy to work. If they were to achieve super gameboy functions they'd actually need to make it an emulator but which also run its special "sofware". I guess they could emulate Super Gameboy and grft the super gameboy software to gb roms making them special SGB roms... anyway.

4. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    You can turn off the SNES mini borders.

But more importantly some of super gameboy borders actually functioned to extend the game screen like in MARIO picross, or interacted with the game itself, with animated elements.

Some Games utilized SNES sound chip for improved sound effects or music. Or graphics for new modes and color enhancement.

There used to be a website where you could download most of the borders except animated/interactive ones for work with retroarch but most of the links are broken now.

Last edited by Baggins, Oct 1, 2017
  5. chillmodious

chillmodious GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2017
    United States
    I don't have an answer to your question, but it's nice to see a familiar, um, name. I haven't been on here in months, but it's good to be back.

6. NESjimbo

NESjimbo GBAtemp Fan

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Yes, patience. Cluster hasn't even gotten his SNESC yet. :D

7. The Frenchman

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    You cannot turn the border off, you make it black. But it'll still be a giant black porder arround a themed border. Not rhe ideal way to play GameBoy anyway. I prefer playing them on my NES classic (which I kept 8bit)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Personally I wonder how Nintendo's emulator works... how does it handle SA-01 and such.

8. Baggins

Baggins GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    United States

Black border which is just using a TVs default “black” (no light emitted so basically “off”) around old 4:3 game is standard par for course with retro gaming if you turn off borders in super gameboy you also get black border around a much smaller image of the gameboy game.

We used to call black bars/borders letterboxing not sure wha relooks call it now?

9. The Frenchman

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    It's not "off" I have an OLED tv and the black borders aren't areas which display nothing. It's a black border. I hope we can make the screen fit top and bottom though because I'm not a huge fan of the letterbox we have now.

Anyway looking at Cluster's progress it's clear we'll also be able to make our own borders.

Since he's added successfully games to the system you can mark it as officially hacked.

10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I wish there was a Gameboy Emulator for the SNES, kind of like how Goomba Color worked for the GBA. Be able to inject a GB Color ROM with emulator into a SNES ROM.

11. wigner

wigner Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2017
    United States
    I unboxed mine and immediately noticed how the purple buttons rattle exactly like the OG, and the nostalgia was flooding back. I'll be patiently waiting for the good news and can't wait for some turtles in time and mortal kombat II, and mario all stars and on and on...Can't wait! Thanks to those doing the good work.

12. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    Just to update everyone here since a lot of people are lost.

1. Cluster has indeed gotten his Snes Mini
    2. He has gotten RetroArch to play Snes roms.
    3. The internal emulator uses a Header he couldn't figure out last I saw.
    4. He has been able to get the Select + Down reset to work.
    5. He has gotten Save States using RetroArch to work using the normal way of saving.
    Source: This live stream he did where he did all the above!

13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    So, uh, does this mean the internal emulator will be never be usable for Snes ROMs? :(

Last edited by the_randomizer, Oct 1, 2017
  14. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    Not at all, he just hasn't figured it all out yet. The RetroArch roms he got working work like the official ones anyway, so worse comes to worse... it's not a bad supplement.

Last edited by kongsnutz, Oct 1, 2017
  15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    How sure are you about that? Just curious. I want to believe.

16. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    100%, literally he looked at it once for 2 hours and during that time he was streaming and responding to viewers, he'll figure it out, they are just in a diff format it's not impossible for someone of his skill at all.

the_randomizer likes this.
  17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Okay, that's all I was wondering, I trust you guys, there are only a handful of games I wish to add, don't want to do anything fancy :P

18. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    I'd say at this point, if it's not done by tomorrow it'll be the next day, most of the other stuff is trivial for him at this point.
    The hardest part is figuring out that SFROM header type, once that's done I'm sure the tool will be out in hours of that.

19. MrTea

MrTea GBAtemp Fan

Apr 6, 2009

[​IMG]
    I've modified my sega genesis USB hub in the picture to a pi and have got that loaded with all mame, amiga and Sega games etc. The nes mini runs every (decent) nes title and hopefully the snes mini will be able to run a few more snes games soon too. :)

20. LuCraftStudios

LuCraftStudios Member

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    Germany
    Germany, Bavaria
    Yes i´ve done the same. I Installed a Raspberry Pi Zero W inside and installed retropie and now i can play all my Sega Megadrive and Mastersystem games on a ''Sega Classic Mini - Sega Megadrive''. It also has a working switch :)

MrTea likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted