Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I've done that a couple times now. I thought it was a folder issue, but now I have to install ROMs small amounts at a time to narrow down the cause.
Why don't you try with fresh No-intro rom sets (Google is your friend here)? Also files can get easily corrupted, especially if you copied them over a bunch of times. Couldn't hurt to download fresh hmods from Github after you uninstalled the old ones. Anyway good luck with narrowing down your issue, curious to hear if you solve your problem and how you solved it.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you try with fresh No-intro rom sets (Google is your friend here)? Also files can get easily corrupted, especially if you copied them over a bunch of times. Couldn't hurt to download fresh hmods from Github after you uninstalled the old ones. Anyway good luck with narrowing down your issue, curious to hear if you solve your problem and how you solved it.
Thanks, I'll look those up.

I know it's not the NES roms. I reloaded just those, and they play, load, and save perfectly.

Edit: Never mind, there's something wrong with the way it creates save files (both save states and battery saves). My only option now is to start completely from scratch, new Hakchi, new cores, new ROMs, and hope for the best.

Last edited by NESjimbo,

ByteThis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@jelmer
Yes you keep on saying that.. I think you are really missing out on the save state manager though. I was surprised how much junk there was left on my Mini using that tool for the first time. Some games like Yoshi's Island and a shitload of Game Boy, GBA games etc. make save states automatically (like fake battery backups) which are impossible to remove in the GUI of the NES Mini or RA otherwise and take up a lot of space. Besides I have now every time a fresh copy of my save file from Link to the Past and a few other games on my desktop so I don't have to lose progress again every time I need to restore or update my system. Your claim about saving space on 2.14 mostly concerns people with a 64 bit architecture system, there have been major improvements for people since 2.15 with a x86 system due or a memory leak that now has been addressed. Since 2.16 the system became a lot more manageable for most people (Besides the save state manager, FTP access is great way of cleaning your system, modding and troubleshooting). What I am trying to say is that the downgrade doesn't always benefit people like it did in your case. Also advising people just to downgrade works counterproductive on a threat started by a developer who hopefully keeps on developing this amazing software a little while longer
Yes we keep sayng that..2.14b is the perfect version of hakchi..you don't need the latest version to delete save states..edit this ...edit that..this version you can have the best space available...tons of hmods..games...etc, and still do the things everybody else can...

Last edited by ByteThis,

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal Gear Fans Rejoice:) I successfully got MSX Emulation running on the Mini NES. Both Metal Gear Games work great!

I did not have time to record a video yet (But, I will!). I am glad I got this one running! It was one of the systems I had set aside to play around with. Not too bad, getting both DOSBOX and MSX going in same day:) This leaves Turbografx-CD! Odyssey2, and Cave Story, as the ONLY things left to get working:) Every other HMOD is accounted for (officially released ones, that is!) When everything is said and done, I will look at other libretro cores to see what systems have not yet been tested, such as Atari Jaguar, and so on! I also forgot to mention, I added WonderSwan to v2.5:) So, look forward to DOSBOX & MSX1/2 in v2.5:)

Last edited by KMFDManic,
Reactions: magnum

ByteThis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I'll look those up.

I know it's not the NES roms. I reloaded just those, and they play, load, and save perfectly.

Edit: Never mind, there's something wrong with the way it creates save files (both save states and battery saves). My only option now is to start completely from scratch, new Hakchi, new cores, new ROMs, and hope for the best.

Did you flash your mini 100.001 times?? lol...you have a strange problem..

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you flash your mini 100.001 times?? lol...you have a strange problem..
My first NESC has been flashed 30-40 times (lots of tinkering). My second one has been flashed maybe 5 times. They both have the same issue (they've both been flashed from the same Hakchi config), so the only common denominator is the software (Hakchi, cores, ROMs).

Here is a common occurrence. I'll be playing Legend of Zelda for example, I will do a battery save, then press down+select to exit. The menu appears for about a split second, and then the screen goes black. If the LED on the NESC stays on, then it will eventually reboot, but the battery save I thought I had saved will be gone (if there was an older one, it will still be there) and there will be no suspend point. If the LED goes off, then I have to unplug the unit for it to work again. Sometimes when I push down to access a suspend point, the NESC will reset or crash entirely.

I tried the same thing with Chrono Trigger. I did a new battery save (saves are numbered, so it showed 64 saves in-game). I exit to menu, system flickers and reboots. I boot up game, and it shows 63 saves, not 64.

Last edited by NESjimbo,

ByteThis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My first NESC has been flashed 30-40 times (lots of tinkering). My second one has been flashed maybe 5 times. They both have the same issue (they've both been flashed from the same Hakchi config), so the only common denominator is the software (Hakchi, cores, ROMs).

Here is a common occurrence. I'll be playing Legend of Zelda for example, I will do a battery save, then press down+select to exit. The menu appears for about a split second, and then the screen goes black. If the LED on the NESC stays on, then it will eventually reboot, but the battery save I thought I had saved will be gone (if there was an older one, it will still be there) and there will be no suspend point. If the LED goes off, then I have to unplug the unit for it to work again. Sometimes when I push down to access a suspend point, the NESC will reset or crash entirely.

I tried the same thing with Chrono Trigger. I did a new battery save (saves are numbered, so it showed 64 saves in-game). I exit to menu, system flickers and reboots. I boot up game, and it shows 63 saves, not 64.

Maybe that's your problem..that's alot of saves..maybe more an internal space issue that you cant control?

Last edited by ByteThis,

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe that's your problem..that's alot of saves..maybe more an internal space issue that you cant control?

No, it's just a single save file. That game tallies how many times you've saved in a playthrough, it's not 64 separate save files. I used it as an example of how the system 'rolls back' the save file. It looks like it's saving, but it's really not, and then it crashes. My NESC has just that one save file (12KB) on it.

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's just a single save file. That game tallies how many times you've saved in a playthrough, it's not 64 separate save files. I used it as an example of how the system 'rolls back' the save file. It looks like it's saving, but it's really not, and then it crashes. My NESC has just that one save file (12KB) on it.
Just go back to 2.14b man.

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
If the original 30 games still work and save then I am quite sure your hmods are screwed. When you say NES games work, are they playing through the emulator of the NES Mini or through RetroArch?

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the original 30 games still work and save then I am quite sure your hmods are screwed. When you say NES games work, are they playing through the emulator of the NES Mini or through RetroArch?
The original 30 games work fine under the original kernel - no RetroArch and no compression. My typical configuration is compressed ROMs running on Nestopia. I'm now loading no-intro ROMs, and I'll first try them uncompressed to see if that's the problem.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using 2.17 so far but is 2.14 way better than 2.17 ? Should I come back to 2.14 and stay with it ? Will 2.14 allowed me to have 700 games just like 2.17 does or ? Curiosity.

Spottedfeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to update to 2.17, what files from my old version would I need to save ? I'm assuming the dump of the original kernel. And probably the hmods, too, right ? Would I have to reinstall the driver like I did when I started this whole thing ?

I have 2.14 right now.

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
If I were to update to 2.17, what files from my old version would I need to save ? I'm assuming the dump of the original kernel. And probably the hmods, too, right ? Would I have to reinstall the driver like I did when I started this whole thing ?

I have 2.14 right now.
If you have custom graphics for folders I would copy folder images as well. I think you also need to copy user mods, config.ini, folders.xml and not to forget your games folder. Dump folder you already mentioned.

Last edited by jelmer,

Spottedfeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have custom graphics for folders I would copy folder images as well. I think you also need to copy user mods, config.ini, folders.xml and not to forget your games folder. Dump folder you already mentioned.
but is there any advantage of using 2.17 over 2.14 ?

jelmer

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
but is there any advantage of using 2.17 over 2.14 ?
Yes you can explore your Mini over FTP and make changes if necessary, the biggest change (advantage) is the save state manager which allows you to import, export and delete save states using your computer. Otherwise nothing has changes much. Stability for x86 systems has improved as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, hey thats my line +1