Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metal Gear Fans Rejoice:) I successfully got MSX Emulation running on the Mini NES. Both Metal Gear Games work great!

I did not have time to record a video yet (But, I will!). I am glad I got this one running! It was one of the systems I had set aside to play around with. Not too bad, getting both DOSBOX and MSX going in same day:) This leaves Turbografx-CD! Odyssey2, and Cave Story, as the ONLY things left to get working:) Every other HMOD is accounted for (officially released ones, that is!) When everything is said and done, I will look at other libretro cores to see what systems have not yet been tested, such as Atari Jaguar, and so on! I also forgot to mention, I added WonderSwan to v2.5:) So, look forward to DOSBOX & MSX1/2 in v2.5:)
Cave story works if you manually run it using the core and selecting the exe.

How did you manage to use keyboard emulation in dosbox? I was only able to use mouse games because keyboard emulation was not working. Do you have a new compiled core?

KMFDManic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cave story works if you manually run it using the core and selecting the exe.

How did you manage to use keyboard emulation in dosbox? I was only able to use mouse games because keyboard emulation was not working. Do you have a new compiled core?

Got Cave Story going yesterday.

My DOSBOX video shows how to do keyboard and mouse.

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Okay. I understand about the save state manager but why is 2.14b better than the latest version ?
Cause 2.14b doesn't have the memory issues 2.15 and on have.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Which neogeo core is the best ?
Or do they all pretty much work the same
I'm using mame2003 on neogeo games
I use fba. It's got The most options too.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Suggestion: When displaying games/folders in alphabetical order, have an option to ignore "The", so we don't have to name them something stupid like "Terminator, The".

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
Got Cave Story going yesterday.

My DOSBOX video shows how to do keyboard and mouse.

Thanks for the vid. I've got super cars, Prince if persia, stunt car racer and a bunch of pinball games working great now. :)

There's quite a few games that don't work as they have separate folders on a dos install that seem to crash dosbox on the nes mini (moonstone, alienbreed etc) but I'm still happy to have some decent old dos games working (it fills the gap a bit seeing as there's no amiga emu) . :)

Last edited by MrTea,

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really loving MAME2003, I appreciate everyone here and all the help you guys have given me. There's definately a learning curve but this is really fun stuff!

I loaded TMNT 2 (MAME2003) and I now see what everyone was talking about in regards to the 2-player version being needed. I want to "pack" a 2-player version of
some games (MAME2003), but I want to make sure I'm doing the process right.

How are you guys packing the 2-player "zip" files of MAME games?

I found this answer here, but some conflicting reports on whether it works:

"You need to find and download the "child" ROM to add it to the "parent" ROM.

The parent ROM is the 4-player World version called tmnt.zip. Find the 2-player variant, which is the Oceania 2-player file, called tmnt2po.zip. Extract both zip folders. Re-zip all the files together into a new zip, and name that tmnt2po.zip. Then add to Hakchi, and you'll have the 2-player version. You follow the same process with any other 4-player game that has a 2-player variant. I've done that with TMNT, The Simpsons, and Sunset Riders all successfully.

Be sure the name of the new ZIP folder is the same as the "child" ROM that is the 2-player version. If you keep the original name (as in tmnt.zip), MAME will not recognize the new files, and it will be 4 player."
It's part of the latest release here: https://github.com/pcm720/retroarch-clover/releases

It works. Download tmnt.zip and download tmnt2po.zip. Extract both folders. Re-pack all the contents into new zip also called tmnt2po.zip. Import that new zip into hakchi, and set the command line to mame2003. Then you can now enjoy playing as Mikey, Raph or Don.
i don't quite understand this , why not just use the 2 player version alone and you can pick any characters you want?

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't quite understand this , why not just use the 2 player version alone and you can pick any characters you want?
The 2-player file is not a full game. It modifies the 'parent' ROM to enable 2-player mode with character selection. You have to combine the files from both for it to work.

PlaystationTV

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2-player file is not a full game. It modifies the 'parent' ROM to enable 2-player mode with character selection. You have to combine the files from both for it to work.
i have both ninja turtles games 2 player versions from rom set mame2003 MAME0.78 and they work fine
when you say not full game are they suppose to not open or the game will stop half way through ?

I used ssriders.zip + ssrdrebd.zip.

I unzipped both, put all the files into a folder named "ssrdrebd".

Then I used p7zip to zip THE FILES inside the folder as ssrdrebd.zip (not the folder but the files, Ctrl+A, right button, zip as), and used that zip file as the game and worked. (This method worked also for TNMT, TNMT2, GAUNTLET).

Then I found a page in archive.org that contains all the MAME 2003 (v0.78) roms, where the ZIP files are "full" (the child rom has all the files inside, you don't have to "merge" the parent rom), and I'm using files from that site with /bin/mame2003. As I'm not sure if I can say the URL here ... I'm not saying it. I can't point you to a valid MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples URL, sorry.
ah this is why i don't need to merge anything

Spottedfeather

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick question. I run Hakchi 2.14. I'm very close to the limit, I think. It says 230 out of 300mb. When I select the game folder and the user mod folder and look at the properties, it says 291mb size and 293 size on disk. Both of these are close to the limit. I see there is an option in Hakchi to compress non nes games. What does this do exactly ? I put ALL games as zip files. If I use the compress non nes games option, what will happen ? Will the games work normally ?

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my ras pi the 2 player file by itself works fine. Don't see why it wouldn't work with the nes by itself. When You combine the 2 and 4 player files it's because thats what's needed for mame2003. Not for fba. simpsons2pj will work for fba without the parent rom.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My NESC crashing issue continues.

I started completely from scratch (re-downloaded Hakchi, RetroArch, cores, no-intro ROMs), and flashed my NESC in increments to narrow down a cause.

I generally test The Legend of Zelda, as I've been testing with battery saves and suspend points. It was also the game I was playing when I first noticed this problem.

1) Restored original kernel - boots and saves just fine.
2) Installed custom kernel - original 30 games boot and save just fine.
3) Installed additional ROMs and set up folders - boots and saves just fine.
4) Installed RetroArch and use_nestopia hmods for certain games (all games are uncompressed). Games still running on kachikachi boot and save fine. However, I set up Legend of Zelda with Nestopia, and NESC crashes after I exit to menu and save a suspend point.
5) Uninstalled use_nestopia hmod, and loaded Chrono Trigger for testing (using snes9x2010 hmod). Legend of Zelda using FCEUmm seems to work fine, I did some 'stress tests' in ways it has crashed before, and it plays fine. With Chrono Trigger, it boots fine, plays fine, and seems to save OK (battery save, suspend point). However, if I shut off the NESC while highlighted on Chrono Trigger in the menu, it will boot up with Chrono Trigger highlighted, and then reboot, reboot, reboot, then completely crash. When I exit the game, and go to a different folder, and then shut down, it's ok.

I feel like Hakchi (or HHH) has done some permanent damage to my NES Classics. One I've had since January and have flashed 40+ times, but my other one is much newer, and has been flashed fewer than 10 time, so I don't think it's a hardware or wear and tear issue. I didn't have a problem like this through 3+ months of usage.

No one else has EVER had their Classic crash in the main menu after exiting a game? That's doubly frustrating. The use_nestopia hmod seemed to cause a problem, but I intermittently experience it with other emulators. For now, FCEUmm works fine.

Long story short, I'm getting a Raspberry Pi. :D

Last edited by NESjimbo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/e7BTm5WxMlw?si=YB0d6BWQ9YsaherL