Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

Kobe46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading mixed reports; many people say they're excellent but a few people are complaining about lag. Also some people have had issues with having 2 connected at the same time. I'm considering purchasing but I've not made my mind up yet.
I can confirm that 8Bitdo receiver works fine with 2 receivers. I have that setup right now.
You just need to make sure you install the 1.05 Beta 0 drivers from 8bitdo's forum (make sure you get the NES Mini drivers and not just retro receiver)
I think the issue they might be having is when you plug in the receiver, you just need to plug in 1 at a time, if both are plugged in, there could be a issue with it syncing to both. I normally load up 1 in player 1, then plug in wired on player 2, in RA re-bind the directional keys for player 1 using the wired controller to navigate menu. Once done, swap the wired controller with 2nd receiver and rebind it. This is only done only once, after that is done. It should be working fine for both. You will need to do this each time you reflash retroarch, as the config file overwrites.

Would the 8bitdo receiver correctly receive the l,r,x and y presses for snes emulation via retroarch? If so that would be awesome!

Can confirm that the L, R, X,Y buttons work fine with the receiver now, just the D-Pad directional thing. The reason for the D-Pad directional is because I believe they put in the firmware that it was analog instead of the D-Pad. Other than that, works great for me. I have had 0 issues with it.

If you need help let me know.

Reactions: heygravity

richufc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm that 8Bitdo receiver works fine with 2 receivers. I have that setup right now.
You just need to make sure you install the 1.05 Beta 0 drivers from 8bitdo's forum (make sure you get the NES Mini drivers and not just retro receiver)
I think the issue they might be having is when you plug in the receiver, you just need to plug in 1 at a time, if both are plugged in, there could be a issue with it syncing to both. I normally load up 1 in player 1, then plug in wired on player 2, in RA re-bind the directional keys for player 1 using the wired controller to navigate menu. Once done, swap the wired controller with 2nd receiver and rebind it. This is only done only once, after that is done. It should be working fine for both. You will need to do this each time you reflash retroarch, as the config file overwrites.

Can confirm that the L, R, X,Y buttons work fine with the receiver now, just the D-Pad directional thing. The reason for the D-Pad directional is because I believe they put in the firmware that it was analog instead of the D-Pad. Other than that, works great for me. I have had 0 issues with it.

If you need help let me know.

Thanks, thats great news. Have just ordered one! What exactly is the d-pad directional issue you mention?

Kobe46

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(About having more than 300MB of roms)

It's a good advice. I have one "to play games" and another one "to test games/cores" (test games with mame2003 vs fba, test cores and stuff like that, and future clovershell tests). With only one, every test (~250MB of games right now) is painful...

That's the plan. As soon as I finally found a NESC (2 months in), I've been hunting for another one, with no luck. One will be for NES/SNES/GEN/GBA/Classic Arcade, and the other will be for 80s to 00s Arcades.

For testing, I just add the ROMs for testing. When I'm finally done (like that'll ever happen), I'll install everything.

richufc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

TVsIan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, suddenly SNES games are crashing on exit for me. I can briefly see the menu and the save state screenshot, then the NESC shuts off. Save games also don't seem to be working- I have a save in Super Mario World right after the first Switch Palace. If I beat the first fortress and save, then exit, it crashes and when I load up again, the save hasn't updated.

It also crashes on the next boot. I can see the menu for a second, then it dies. On the second try, I can get in and change/play games.

I've already tried reflashing the original kernel, then re-hacking with the latest version of the Retroarch mod/cores, but no good. Tried a Game Boy game just to compare and it worked fine. I've tried a few different folder arrangements just to make sure it's not a file size issue, and it doesn't seem to be.

Is there a way to do a more complete wipe and reinstall? I saw the save state for SMW was still there after I reinstalled, would the "Uninstall" option bring it back to factory and clear everything out so I can go in fresh?

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, suddenly SNES games are crashing on exit for me. I can briefly see the menu and the save state screenshot, then the NESC shuts off. Save games also don't seem to be working- I have a save in Super Mario World right after the first Switch Palace. If I beat the first fortress and save, then exit, it crashes and when I load up again, the save hasn't updated.

It also crashes on the next boot. I can see the menu for a second, then it dies. On the second try, I can get in and change/play games.

I've already tried reflashing the original kernel, then re-hacking with the latest version of the Retroarch mod/cores, but no good. Tried a Game Boy game just to compare and it worked fine. I've tried a few different folder arrangements just to make sure it's not a file size issue, and it doesn't seem to be.

Is there a way to do a more complete wipe and reinstall? I saw the save state for SMW was still there after I reinstalled, would the "Uninstall" option bring it back to factory and clear everything out so I can go in fresh?
Restore to factory settings on the nes to wipe out saves etc.

Bosco82

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did some testing the following games don't run right in snes9x2005 but run fine in snes9x2002
BS Kaizou Chounin Shubibin Man Zero
BS Zelda 3rd Quest
BS Zelda 4th Quest
Seiken Densetsu 3

Reactions: ArcNoculus

kaz321123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to report on some experimentation I've been doing.

When I had very few arcade games, (less than 30), I never had crashing/freezing/c8 (well I sometimes did when running random emulators like gameboy advance), I'm mostly talking about nes/arcade.

Once I had more than 30 in a folder, it started crashing. Specifically I chose Berzerk (Arcade) to test this.

I had a giant folder of like 55 arcade games, and I started getting issues.

In my latest flash, I made sure NO folder had more than 30 games in it (not 1 extra, even if it was a folder). So some folders had 28, because I had two other folders taking me to different places.

I again tried Berzerk limiting myself with games per folder, and I was able to launch it 4 times in a row with no issues (going back out to the menu each time).

Sorry I was wordy in explaining this.

TLDR: In folders manager, don't go over 30 elements, or ELSE....! :P

Last edited by kaz321123,

Nesminiguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did some testing the following games don't run right in snes9x2005 but run fine in snes9x2002
BS Kaizou Chounin Shubibin Man Zero
BS Zelda 3rd Quest
BS Zelda 4th Quest
Seiken Densetsu 3

I can add to this...
Mortal Komat 2 (sound problems)
Super Bomberman 3 (sound problems)
Zombies Ate my Neighbors (sound problems)

I would test these myself, but honestly I don't feel like re-syncing.

These problems were corrected with update to snes9x2005 core
SMB + World - control issue fixed
Tactics Ogre - control issue fixed.

TokyoMario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not it.

ReedPlayer-Clover unloads on every game start (Kachikachi or Retroarch), so it's restarted after literally every game.

clover-mcp stays running until you nav between folders, and then restarts on folder reload.

I watched the system memory continue to go progressively lower and lower as I was randomly starting and stopping Retroarch/FCEUMM games and navigating folders, so it's going *somewhere*...more testing needed.

Rodney

Any progress on finding the memory leak that is causing c8 and c2 errors? @pcm720 and @Cluster. I remember pcm believes the issue was caused by ram... Cluster, could the new version of Hakchi3 fix the problem?

nespas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To play Neoo Geo games I installed View Point first with the bios (zip). Game works great.
I then wanted to play Magical Drop and Pulstar. I did the same (added the rom and bios). Both won't start.
I must precise that I don't use the retroarch version which uses symlinks to the bios as this one always crashes with a C6 error. Instead I use a previous one as shown here (it's in french but the download links and screenshots will tell you what I'm using).

Also, what's the command line to use the NES module of retroarch ? I tried running Arkanoid II using the /bin/nes and the game path but it hangs the console (which won't even turn off, I have to unplug it).

Thanks.

Last edited by nespas,

nesito

Trophies
XP
Country
To play Neoo Geo games I installed View Point first with the bios (zip). Game works great.
I then wanted to play Magical Drop and Pulstar. I did the same (added the rom and bios). Both won't start.
I must precise that I don't use the retroarch version which uses symlinks to the bios as this one always crashes with a C6 error. Instead I use a previous one as shown here (it's in french but the download links and screenshots will tell you what I'm using).

Also, what's the command line to use the NES module of retroarch ? I tried running Arkanoid II using the /bin/nes and the game path but it hangs the console (which won't even turn off, I have to unplug it).

Thanks.
I better start with this solution to all RA problems. Using last hakchi2 2.13e and last pcm pack in the video the steps(The video has some time).

About the Neogeo games... Forget this olds cores and olds roms and add the games using this tutorial and the core Mame2003 minimized of @D_Skywalk

About the NES if you are using last hakchi2 2.13e and last pcm720 RA pack when add a NES games unsupported, they should work ok with no need to edit command line.

Rgs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol