Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

ArcNoculus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start a game that uses retro let it go for a little then Hold R L start and select. Then it brings retro menu up. Click quick menu. Change save slots to 1 and then click save state. Then exit out of game. Load game back up again. Bring retro menu back up click quick menu and go down and click load state :) works like a charm

Awesome! Had no idea I simply needed to change it to 1. Any ideas about the diagonal directions not working right on the analog stick?

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
You said there are a lot of fixes and shell optimizations. I installed almost all of your cores. Should I uninstall it all and install all of the new stuff from your current release?

You should be able to install it without uninstalling, but I think at this point (just in case) it'll be better to uninstall hakchi completely via "Kernel —> Uninstall" and resync all games and modules.

@pcm720
I am using djovelha's nosmooth-retroarch file, but I would like to add the snes9x2005 core to use for a couple games only (the rest will stay on default snes9x2010 core). Can I simply take that one module you have created for snes9x2005, put it in the user_mods folder, and install it through hakchi2 on top of my current setup? (Then obviously change the command line arguments for those few games I want to utilize that core)

Yes, it should work. Tell me, why is it called "nosmooth-retroarch"?
I've disabled bilinear filtering (smoothing) in the very first release, how is that different?

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! Had no idea I simply needed to change it to 1. Any ideas about the diagonal directions not working right on the analog stick?
Yes you can make the analog work if you want to. Not just have the dpad. But only up down right and left work. Not the corners like top right and left at the same time. I still enabled it tho!

Last edited by youngtune27,

ArcNoculus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you can make the analog work if you want to. Not just have the dpad. But only up down right and left work. Not the corners like top right and left and the same time. I still enabled it tho!

Wow, I hope that can be fixed in a future build! How can I force RetroArch to allow me to use the D-pad to control movement in N64 games?

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone gotten neo geo pocket color working? This would be a great addition to the nes classics compatible console options, has a 2 button layout, I would try, but i have no coding, rom cores skills!!!....

Nevermind I see that @pcm720 added it to his extra cores...anyone test it yet?

Last edited by NESCLASSIC,

chillmodious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to install it without uninstalling, but I think at this point (just in case) it'll be better to uninstall hakchi completely via "Kernel —> Uninstall" and resync all games and modules.

I've disabled bilinear filtering (smoothing) in the very first release, how is that different?

Thanks. I'll be candid. I was using djovelha's mod because of the no smoothing, but this was prior to your first release. For whatever reason (no doubt my own doing somehow), I tried putting one of your earlier versions on my machine and I was having issues loading my snes games (whereas before I was fine). Since I always backup my hakchi2 folder after each successful flash, I was able to go back to my prior installation and then just uninstalled your hmod folder and reinstalled djovelha's version. My games were all working again after that and I had his smoothing removal on pixel perfect mode, so I didn't want to mess with the hmod stuff too much after that. Hence why I was asking about just the snes9x2005 core. All I want to run are NES, Snes, and GB/GBC games. Ideally I would like to use your version since the smoothing is implemented better and I wouldn't have unnecessary cores on my machine, but I'm hesitant. Your GitHub page has so much stuff on it that I got worried about downloading the wrong thing and/or putting it in the wrong place. I was also uncertain about whether or not I could put a check mark by the separate cores in hakchi and install them simultaneously with your build, or if I had to install them one at a time after first installing your build. So pretty much all that combined to keep me where I was. Hope none of that came off wrong--just wanted you to understand my line of thinking.

nenned

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I switched to snes9x2005 and the games sound horrible. The iconic raindrops of ALTTP, the wolf's howl from the intro of Castlevania IV, several sound effects from Super Mario World, etc are all different/worse. Is this normal? How can anyone prefer this? Yes, YIsland plays better, but at the cost of the sounds of all the other games?

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if I go ahead and go to kernel/uninstall..it will restore the NES Mini to factory settings and then I have to do the whole thing all over again..but will everything still remain on the Hakchi seriously dont want to do this all over again

pcm720

Trophies
Website
pcm720.me
XP
Country
Russia
Thanks. I'll be candid. I was using djovelha's mod because of the no smoothing, but this was prior to your first release. For whatever reason (no doubt my own doing somehow), I tried putting one of your earlier versions on my machine and I was having issues loading my snes games (whereas before I was fine). Since I always backup my hakchi2 folder after each successful flash, I was able to go back to my prior installation and then just uninstalled your hmod folder and reinstalled djovelha's version. My games were all working again after that and I had his smoothing removal on pixel perfect mode, so I didn't want to mess with the hmod stuff too much after that. Hence why I was asking about just the snes9x2005 core. All I want to run are NES, Snes, and GB/GBC games. Ideally I would like to use your version since the smoothing is implemented better and I wouldn't have unnecessary cores on my machine, but I'm hesitant. Your GitHub page has so much stuff on it that I got worried about downloading the wrong thing and/or putting it in the wrong place. I was also uncertain about whether or not I could put a check mark by the separate cores in hakchi and install them simultaneously with your build, or if I had to install them one at a time after first installing your build. So pretty much all that combined to keep me where I was. Hope none of that came off wrong--just wanted you to understand my line of thinking.

Okay, sure. In case if you want to switch to latest build that has improved NES ROM type detection:
In your case it's better to uninstall hakchi via Kernel —> Uninstall and keep the hacked kernel. Then just synchronize games, install retroarch.hmod, snes9x2010.hmod and gambatte.hmod (GB/C core). You can install them all at the same time unless you want to use "use_*.hmod" modules. These need to be installed separately after the cores.

if I go ahead and go to kernel/uninstall..it will restore the NES Mini to factory settings and then I have to do the whole thing all over again..but will everything still remain on the Hakchi seriously dont want to do this all over again

It won't restore factory settings. Uninstallation just clears hakchi files from NES Mini. The games on Hakchi 2's games list won't go anywhere, so you can just synchronize after uninstallation, and it will reinstall everything.

Last edited by pcm720,

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, sure. In case if you want to switch to latest build that has improved NES ROM type detection:
In your case it's better to uninstall hakchi via Kernel —> Uninstall and keep the hacked kernel. Then just synchronize games, install retroarch.hmod, snes9x2010.hmod and gambatte.hmod (GB/C core). You can install them all at the same time unless you want to use "use_*.hmod" modules. These need to be installed separately after the cores.

It won't restore factory settings. Uninstallation just clears hakchi files from NES Mini. The games on Hakchi 2's games list won't go anywhere, so you can just synchronize after uninstallation, and it will reinstall everything.

Awesome thank U I am doing that now....Ok and its done..now its asking me to flash the original kernel I assume I press YES? then when I am done I will go to modules, and install the modules that I want..I checked out the instructions so I know which ones I Need

Edit: Ok went ahead and am flashing the original kernel..will after wards go into modules and install all those modules that I need and will sync again :-)

Last edited by Lakerfanalways,

rot86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@pcm720 I want to run the metal slug from the menu (front-end) on mini:

Code:
/bin/neo/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi/CLV-U-AFPWM/mslug.zip

¿Is correct?

I used the core fbalpha2012_neogeo.hmod of your last release 0.4

thx.

Lakerfanalways

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked off the ones that are posted in the instructions but I dont see nestopia here..I see USE_nestopia, USE_picodrive, and USE_SNES9x2005 and Im not sure if I have to have those checked off BESIDES the picodrive, snes9x2010, snes9x2005, retroarch, and glupen64 that I already have checked off

Last edited by Lakerfanalways,
Reactions: Trunktracker

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Just choose custom folder every time under settings in hackchi. It gives you a lot better access then you can fix those problems. When it automatically does it, it messes up. There is glitches. I made a nes folder and for the love of god it wouldn't let me put the N folder in it. It let me do every other one but N. so I had to make a new N folder and move the games in to that one and then move that into my nes folder and delete the only N folder. And when you add new games they go in a unsorted folder that you you need to move to the folder you want and then delete the unsorted folder

I don’t know about glitches, but I have understood about “unsorted” folder through experiences. What you told about choosing custom folder is what I always do all the time. Oh, I’ve finally found the solution to my problem. Previously I never care about options at the top right (because I thought I already chose custom folders), but when chose “no folders” for each sub folder (0-A, B-C, etc) and it was then highlighted as blue, the result came out as expected: no more of those original 30 games showed up at the root. Who knows, maybe this could work for you.

I’m still waiting for answers for these:

1) Is the "keeping max 30 games in one folder for the sake of suspend points" requirement still applicable on this 2.12?
2) Non NES roms are added, but when I try to select them, I keep returning to main menu. Why's this happening? I'm still using everything from Cluster.

Thanks in advance.

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know about glitches, but I have understood about “unsorted” folder through experiences. What you told about choosing custom folder is what I always do all the time. Oh, I’ve finally found the solution to my problem. Previously I never care about options at the top right (because I thought I already chose custom folders), but when chose “no folders” for each sub folder (0-A, B-C, etc) and it was then highlighted as blue, the result came out as expected: no more of those original 30 games showed up at the root. Who knows, maybe this could work for you.

1) Is the "keeping max 30 games in one folder for the sake of suspend points" requirement still applicable on this 2.12?
2) Non NES roms are added, but when I try to select them, I keep returning to main menu. Why's this happening? I'm still using everything from Cluster.

Thanks in advance.
I fixed my problem by just making a new N folder and deleting the old N folder. Then that folder went right in.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I keep my 30 per folder. If you click on a game and it takes you right back to the home that means the path for the game isn't right.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wow, I hope that can be fixed in a future build! How can I force RetroArch to allow me to use the D-pad to control movement in N64 games?
I know it annoying. Not sure don't have 64 games on.

youngtune27

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any idea about where should I change that?
I wouldn't know cause idk what you have done. But before I changed my gba core to mgba. I changed it to vbanext_libretro. And then resynced games and then the gameboy would go right back to home screen after clicking on them. After I realized what was the problem and that I never resent the mod I decided to put mgba on anyways instead of vbanext and then resent the mod and then games booted again! Since I changed the path it didn't boot so I assume you did something to the path as well. And didn't finish everything.

Last edited by youngtune27,

XXwillisXX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@pcm720 I want to run the metal slug from the menu (front-end) on mini:

Code:
/bin/neo/usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi/CLV-U-AFPWM/mslug.zip

¿Is correct?

I used the core fbalpha2012_neogeo.hmod of your last release 0.4

thx.

need a space after neo like this
/bin/neo /usr/share/games/nes/kachikachi/CLV-U-AFPWM/mslug.zip

Parallax2814

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So with pcm720's latest update to retroarch, I can finally play FDS games that I couldn't previously. (W00t!) Thank you @pcm720!

Now, how do I permanently set the controls to flip the disk? I've gone into quick menu exactly the way a video from @nesito posted earlier to change the button configuration. The problem is that the settings don't save. If I was to make the button changes, exit the game and go back in again, I have to reset the button configuration again.

That is very annoying. Is there no way to make that change permanent across all FDS games so I don't have to go into the retroarch options every single time?

EDIT: I found "Save Core Remap File", so I'm assuming that it'll save the settings when the core is run, but its not letting me save at all.

Last edited by Parallax2814,
Reactions: nesito

maande80

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I wouldn't know cause idk what you have done. But before I changed my gba core to mgba. I changed it to vbanext_libretro. And then resynced games and then the gameboy would go right back to home screen after clicking on them. After I realized what was the problem and that I never resent the mod I decided to put mgba on anyways instead of vbanext and then resent the mod and then games booted again! Since I changed the path it didn't boot so I assume you did something to the path as well. And didn't finish everything.

Hmmm… okay. Here’s the chronology:

When hakchi 2.12 was released, I updated immediately and installed retroarch .hmod from Cluster in my HDD -- let’s call this Folder A. At that time I had GB, GBC & Genesis worked well.

When I had issue about “too many roms” and tried to look for the cause (later was proven that it was my ignorance after all), in a separate folder (call it Folder B), I uninstalled the retroarch .hmod, flashed the original kernel back, reinstalled 2.12 again, but this time instead of Cluster’s .hmod, I installed pcm270’s retroarch .hmod and several .hmods for GBA and N64. As for the result, all NES and GBA roms run well, but with the issue of some original games are located at the root instead of inside the sub folders. I did not happy with the result, so I uninstalled all the .hmods and deleted the entire Folder B.

I got back to Folder A, fixed “too many roms” issue with the help from you and others as well as the previous custom folder issue. It was the last setting that I had, which none of GB, GBC & Genesis roms were able to load, while GBA rom is still playable.

Where did I mess things up? Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub:
  • Sheeba- @ Sheeba-:
    I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro
    Sheeba- @ Sheeba-: I can't wait to hack my 11.00 PS4 pro