Official hakchi2 - NES Mini very simple pimp tool

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might have something to do with that retroarch-clover git. You might need to clone and compile that module separately now.

Maybe from that retroarch-clover git, I've no idea how it works though, there's no documentation yet for any of this. It's still unreleased with the codebase changing every half hour.

OK so i downloaded this retroarch-clover zip file and have no idea what do to next...im not sure where to copy the files, or if there is some step of compiling i need to do...

themyst

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could figure out the issue. Pure luck I guess. Gotta keep testing.

I was going to post this to suggestion to Github. 30 SNES games killed my flash time. I'd love some sort display of space used.

the \games folder inside hakchi2 indicates 204MB, at least for me. If the stock kernel weighs in around 3MB, which brings the total space used to 207MB, which should give me (in theory) 305-ish MB free for other stuff. Not quite enough for an entire ROMset for a popular console, including art. Maybe Gameboy or SMS?

I'd love to see some sort of an OTG workaround with a splitter so we can throw an SD card or flash drive into the back of this thing. The R16 in this thing isn't even breaking a sweat emulating the NES.

iNinjax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If want to try something different... You used RA previously? Please put here you config.ini file I give a look.

Rgs.

Used it previously, although at this point I'm just trying to get it running with the basic custom kernel. If I fresh install EVERYTHING, then just install the custom kernel with no modules, the device still bootloops. Here's my config:
[Config]
SelectedGames=default
HiddenGames=
CustomFlashed=True
UseFont=True
ResetHack=True
AutofireHack=False
FirstRun=False
AntiArmetLevel=0
ResetCombination=36
ConsoleType=0
ExtraCommandLineArguments=
FcStart=False
FoldersMode=2
MaxGamesPerFolder=30

[Presets]​

(wouldn't let me upload an .ini)

Just tried it on my laptop as well, with fresh everything-- there's either something wrong/different with my NES Classic, or something wrong/different with whatever my VS2015 is doing.

Last edited by iNinjax,

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so i downloaded this retroarch-clover zip file and have no idea what do to next...im not sure where to copy the files, or if there is some step of compiling i need to do...

Anybody got the lastest build running with retroarch-clover files? Just trying to figure out the next step...

anth0ny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We will need to get to a point where we can do custom button mapping and custom settings. I managed to launch Mario 64 and Goldeneye!!! With the latest build... however the Sticks dont work and mapping isnt correct. Goldeneye framerate is low, was able to move the gun around and shoot.

anth0ny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Clint13579

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Binary Land nes box art.

Attachments

• Binary Land Hudson Soft 2.png
    Binary Land Hudson Soft 2.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 545

iNinjax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try it, please.

Rgs.
It did not work. However, I am making progress pursuing a different route.
I flashed it back to stock kernel, uninstalled hakchi2 via 2.12rc3, downloaded 2.11, and installed the custom kernel there. No boot loop! Installed a NES game on 2.11, worked out fine.

Went back to 2.12rc3. Installed the RA module, no bootloop. Trying now to install a SNES game, which is my goal here. Everything seemed to work out fine, and the system booted... but the SNES game is nowhere to be found. So we're not there yet, but progress.

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so i copied the retroarch.hmod folder into the user_mods folder in the latest build of hakchi. This seemed to make everything start working I loaded one rom of each type for testing and so far the ones that are working are NES, Sega Master System, Gameboy and Gameboy Color. Genesis, SNES, and Game Gear were a no go. i tested with sonic genesis, super mario world snes, and sonic for game gear.

iNinjax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it working. I said goddamn. I don't know what the problem was, but that was quite the adventure.
So, I ended up...
  1. Starting at completely stock, hakchi2 uninstalled completely.
  2. Installed a custom kernel onto my NES Classic via hakchi2.11. No bootloop.
  3. Downloading hakchi2.12rc3 via .zip from GitHub (first time I've ever actually downloaded something from GitHub without using git clone). I don't know why, but actually downloading it as a .zip seemed to help. Git sucks on Windows. Either way, used VS2015 to build/debug.
  4. Downloading retroarch-clover and putting retroarch.hmod into the user_mods folder.
  5. Installing the retroarch module.
  6. Installing a SNES game using the proper command line arguments.
  7. Profit.
Basically, as far as I can tell, using Git BASH on Windows and git clone'ing the hakchi2 repo was throwing something off. Downloading it as a .zip and using VS2015 to build from that .zip's results somehow seemed to help get things working.
This is why your OS should have a 'nix based substructure. I'm just saying.
Either way, my NES Classic is now a SNES Classic, and I am more than satisfied. I hope the image and sound are cleaned up a little (pixels seem a touch fuzzy, and sound occasionally hangs in FFIII (aka FFVI)), but I am intensely satisfied.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

ok so i copied the retroarch.hmod folder into the user_mods folder in the latest build of hakchi. This seemed to make everything start working I loaded one rom of each type for testing and so far the ones that are working are NES, Sega Master System, Gameboy and Gameboy Color. Genesis, SNES, and Game Gear were a no go. i tested with sonic genesis, super mario world snes, and sonic for game gear.

You said SNES is not working? I imagine you did, but just checking: did you click 'Modules' => 'Install extra modules' => check the box for 'retroarch' => click 'ok' within hakchi2?

Last edited by iNinjax,

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK i figured it out. SNES, GENESIS and GAME GEAR were not being pointed to the right file in the retroarch.hmod bin folder so i had to edit each of the command line arguments in hakchi for each game so that it would know which file to launch in the bin folder. I have now successfully played NES, SNES, GENESIS, SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, GAMEGEAR, GAMEBOY, GAMEBOY COLOR, and GAMEBOY ADVANCE (which ran horribly) all on my Nintendo classic with the latest hakchi, also folders are working great!

iNinjax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK i figured it out. SNES, GENESIS and GAME GEAR were not being pointed to the right file in the retroarch.hmod bin folder so i had to edit each of the command line arguments in hakchi for each game so that it would know which file to launch in the bin folder. I have now successfully played NES, SNES, GENESIS, SEGA MASTER SYSTEM, GAMEGEAR, GAMEBOY, GAMEBOY COLOR, and GAMEBOY ADVANCE (which ran horribly) all on my Nintendo classic with the latest hakchi, also folders are working great!

Yay! Shame to hear about GBA, that was my next big interest point. Let's go for third though, how does Genesis run? SNES is good, but as I mentioned, there's the occasional sound/graphics issue. I wonder if I can reconfigure anything in the RA files to make the visuals on SNES a little less muddy... going for a pixel perfect view.

CalamityRaven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
All those systems should run fine on that hardware in due time, without even breaking a sweat. Playstation 1 too once we get some external storage hooked up for roms, but it's not likely to run N64 well outside of the least demanding games.

If you want to try eek out a little more performance while people look for what's really dragging it's feet, you can set the video to threaded for retroarch and the audio to aslathread instead of alsa (threaded out too). That helps a bit. You'll have to dive into the configs though since from what I've heard you can't get into the retroarch RGUI anymore?

NESCLASSIC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, i just tested with a few additional snes and genesis games, they are running perfectly, however i did have to manually add that info in the command line argument to get them to launch. Also i am using the My Arcade Wireless controller for NES Classic. All of the front buttons were working except i wasn't able to get L and R triggers to work. I am thinking its probably because this controller actually has two left triggers and two right triggers, which is probably different than retroarch is configured for currently. I'm not quite sure how to find the retroarch controller settings and get the triggers working at the moment. I tested with street fighter 2 on snes and mk3 on genesis for a 6 button layout. The 4 front buttons x,y,a,b worked great, but the L and R triggers did not work, and i could not figure out how to assign them in retroarch.

In an unrelated note, I'm not sure why Sega master system games are pointed to a different emulator than genesis gx? i thought it could run master system, genesis and game gear? Is the standalone sms core a better emulator option?

Last edited by NESCLASSIC,

Lil-Diabo

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone know how to make one of these files that would enable the left and right joystick in Retroarch?

https://github.com/ClusterM/retroar...d/etc/libretro/joypad_autoconf/clovercon1.cfg

Would probably need to modify this file to be able to get into the RA menu while playing games::

https://github.com/ClusterM/retroarch-clover/blob/master/retroarch.hmod/etc/libretro/retroarch.cfg

All those systems should run fine on that hardware in due time, without even breaking a sweat. Playstation 1 too once we get some external storage hooked up for roms, but it's not likely to run N64 well outside of the least demanding games.

If you want to try eek out a little more performance while people look for what's really dragging it's feet, you can set the video to threaded for retroarch and the audio to aslathread instead of alsa (threaded out too). That helps a bit. You'll have to dive into the configs though since from what I've heard you can't get into the retroarch RGUI anymore?

Change the retroarch.cfg on line 63 to
input_menu_toggle_gamepad_combo = "4"

This lets you use Start+Select to access the Retroarch GUI again (Just remember to not have the same combo to reset the NES)

Last edited by Lil-Diabo,
Reactions: nesito

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1