H4k3d Virtual Console games... when?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TonyCool, Mar 10, 2007.

Mar 10, 2007
  1. TonyCool
    OP

Member TonyCool GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Everybody is talking about Wii Modchips, but anyof you have though about playing Virtual Console downloaded "backups"??

Will it be possible, or we have to spend our $ or € buying them? (and I mean really VC games, not NES, SEGA or PCE homebrew emulators for GC/Wii).

I think base its easy: Just need to download same game from 2 (or more) different consoles, try to decrypt it using each one its own Wii code and then make a "keymaker"... sounds pretty easy, I know it's hard.

2. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I hope someone figures it out eventually, because I've decided not to buy any more VC games until Nintendo gives us the 60hz versions... and as that will probably never happen, using hacked versions seems the only way to go.

I think it will happen eventually, but it might be a complicated business to get working.

3. CamaroShifter88

Newcomer CamaroShifter88 Member

United States
    I'm no good w/ programming or any of that kind of stuff, but TO ME.. it seems like the only possible way to be able to play VC games on your Wii would be to have an emulator on your Wii, and the games on either a dvd or SD card. Then run the emulator and open up the roms as emulators work on a computer. I know I OVER simplified the whole thing A LOT, but that's the only way I see it working, at least, anytime somewhat soon.

If they didn't have unique keys for each VC game that coorespond with individual wii's, then I'd say it shouldn't be too hard. But the way it seems to be set up.. it'd be like playing Battlefield 2142 online using someone else's key. It just wooon't work.. :'( However, maybe some sort of "crack" or "flash" will come out that will tell the wii that the code you're giving is a legit code every time, or will just disable the function that verifies the key...

As you can tell though, the whole thing is all up for grabs. No one really knows when to expect a working answer.

4. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    It seems the VC games are encrypted for your machine.. when you buy one your machine sends it's public key and Nintendo send back a version that only your Wii can read. It's probably not hard to capture decrypted versions from the wii's memory but we need homebrew access on the machine to create a dumper and then a launcher.

5. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It'll happen eventually. Right now, we're all focused on getting a 100% working, little DRE modchip ... then we'll worry about VC.

6. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i had no single DRE on any game with my wiikey and my pioneer DVR-111D burner. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SilverAnalyst

Newcomer SilverAnalyst Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have a wiinja version2 and I have absolutely no DREs. The wiinja can also run Gamecube homebrew using GCOS. This means that it can run all the emulators that were made for gamecube.

There are emulators for all the games on vc that can be run on wiinja. I'm sure that they will work on wiikey as well, just give them a try.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Some are actually optimized for 50hz so that theres no real difference between PAL and NTSC such as Donkey Kong Country. Some others are 60hz I know a fair few PC Engine games are.

http://www.vc-reviews.com/ tells you what has and what hasnt

9. Wanque

United Kingdom
    It's no good if your TV can't display 50hz properly.

Here is a list of the games that Nintendo have been kind enough to optimise so that they run at the same speed as the NTSC originals:

1) Super Mario Bros (NES)

That's it.

The PC-Engine ones and N64 don't need optimising, and Donkey Kong Country runs properly because it was originally made for 50hz.

10. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    And it's as buggy as crap and the music doesn't even play right!

11. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia

Man I know Nintendo are screwing us by not optomising games to run in PAL format but seriously how many TV's these days can't display both formats correctly??

12. Wanque

United Kingdom
    Well, mine can't for a start - which is part of the reason I'm so pissed about the whole business. It's a pretty new 32 inch Philips Ambilight LCD, and I know of many other people who are having trouble.
    It comes with using Nintendo's recommended component cables - 50hz just isn't a rate that should be used through component.