Hacking H4k3d Virtual Console games... when?

TonyCool

OP
Trophies
Website
www.ndsspain.com
XP
Country
Everybody is talking about Wii Modchips, but anyof you have though about playing Virtual Console downloaded "backups"??

Will it be possible, or we have to spend our $ or € buying them? (and I mean really VC games, not NES, SEGA or PCE homebrew emulators for GC/Wii).

I think base its easy: Just need to download same game from 2 (or more) different consoles, try to decrypt it using each one its own Wii code and then make a "keymaker"... sounds pretty easy, I know it's hard.

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
I hope someone figures it out eventually, because I've decided not to buy any more VC games until Nintendo gives us the 60hz versions... and as that will probably never happen, using hacked versions seems the only way to go.

I think it will happen eventually, but it might be a complicated business to get working.

CamaroShifter88

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm no good w/ programming or any of that kind of stuff, but TO ME.. it seems like the only possible way to be able to play VC games on your Wii would be to have an emulator on your Wii, and the games on either a dvd or SD card. Then run the emulator and open up the roms as emulators work on a computer. I know I OVER simplified the whole thing A LOT, but that's the only way I see it working, at least, anytime somewhat soon.

If they didn't have unique keys for each VC game that coorespond with individual wii's, then I'd say it shouldn't be too hard. But the way it seems to be set up.. it'd be like playing Battlefield 2142 online using someone else's key. It just wooon't work.. :'( However, maybe some sort of "crack" or "flash" will come out that will tell the wii that the code you're giving is a legit code every time, or will just disable the function that verifies the key...

As you can tell though, the whole thing is all up for grabs. No one really knows when to expect a working answer.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It seems the VC games are encrypted for your machine.. when you buy one your machine sends it's public key and Nintendo send back a version that only your Wii can read. It's probably not hard to capture decrypted versions from the wii's memory but we need homebrew access on the machine to create a dumper and then a launcher.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It'll happen eventually. Right now, we're all focused on getting a 100% working, little DRE modchip ... then we'll worry about VC.
i had no single DRE on any game with my wiikey and my pioneer DVR-111D burner.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

SilverAnalyst

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a wiinja version2 and I have absolutely no DREs. The wiinja can also run Gamecube homebrew using GCOS. This means that it can run all the emulators that were made for gamecube.

There are emulators for all the games on vc that can be run on wiinja. I'm sure that they will work on wiikey as well, just give them a try.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone figures it out eventually, because I've decided not to buy any more VC games until Nintendo gives us the 60hz versions... and as that will probably never happen, using hacked versions seems the only way to go.

I think it will happen eventually, but it might be a complicated business to get working.
Some are actually optimized for 50hz so that theres no real difference between PAL and NTSC such as Donkey Kong Country. Some others are 60hz I know a fair few PC Engine games are.

http://www.vc-reviews.com/ tells you what has and what hasnt

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
It's no good if your TV can't display 50hz properly.

Here is a list of the games that Nintendo have been kind enough to optimise so that they run at the same speed as the NTSC originals:

1) Super Mario Bros (NES)

That's it.

The PC-Engine ones and N64 don't need optimising, and Donkey Kong Country runs properly because it was originally made for 50hz.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Here is a list of the games that Nintendo have been kind enough to optimise so that they run at the same speed as the NTSC originals:

And it's as buggy as crap and the music doesn't even play right!

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

That's it.

The PC-Engine ones and N64 don't need optimising, and Donkey Kong Country runs properly because it was originally made for 50hz.

Man I know Nintendo are screwing us by not optomising games to run in PAL format but seriously how many TV's these days can't display both formats correctly??

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
Well, mine can't for a start - which is part of the reason I'm so pissed about the whole business. It's a pretty new 32 inch Philips Ambilight LCD, and I know of many other people who are having trouble.
It comes with using Nintendo's recommended component cables - 50hz just isn't a rate that should be used through component.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.