GW and EmuNAND Question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Skeet1983, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    This may be a stupid question, but can retail carts be played on EmuNand? I plan on getting Majora's Mask next week.

2. pcmantinker

pcmantinker Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2009
    United States
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Yes, they can be played in GW classic mode (no multi-rom menu or CIAs).

3. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    No, it simply doesn't read them.
    My guess is that, during Gateway mode, the normal cartridge loading is disabled and is replaced with a custom "ODE" that allows it to run the red card. That's why classic mode exists.

4. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    The OP never mentioned Gateway mode.

5. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Gateway mode = emuNAND

6. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Are you quite sure? Isn't classic mode also EmuNAND?

7. kamesenin888

kamesenin888 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 20, 2007
    i wish we had a pseudo classic mode, that you can use retail carts and cia files to be able to handle the save between retail and cia

MrJason005 likes this.
  8. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    Basically, you have 2 NANDs, sysNAND and emuNAND.
    sysNAND is the NAND which stores your native firmware, the one that can be exploited.
    emuNAND is a copy of the same NAND that is stored on the sysNAND chip, but it is located on the SD card.
    Whenever you boot into Gateway mode, it boots into the NAND which is stored on the SD card (emuNAND). This allows you to not only load the red card and run unsigned code, but also allows you to be on the latest firmware.
    My guess is that whenever you boot Gateway mode, it turns the game card slot into a sort of "ODE", which allows it to run the red card, and that's why normal 3DS cartridges do not work in emuNAND/Gateway mode.
    And because of the above they needed Classic mode, in order to spoof game cartridges (To run a game without updating) and also region free, and classic mode uses the sysNAND, not the emuNAND. Why? Not sure, but I bet there wasn't good compatability.

9. Porobu

Porobu Gbatemps Shiny Latias

Sep 12, 2009
    Classic mode is still emunand, but with different patches applied to boot commercial carts

10. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Thanks. I didn't need an explanation on the difference between SysNAND and EmuNAND.
    But even though I was so sure before, you still had me doubting. So I went to check it out. Classic mode definitely uses EmuNAND, so you were wrong after all.

Kafke likes this.
  11. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    I actually made a mistake. "Gateway mode = emuNAND" is not 100% correct, it's just that it means the same to tempers.
    That said, I indeed booted classic mode and it did indeed boot into emuNAND.

12. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    I'm a member here just as much as you, and that's not what it means to me. And it definitely didn't mean the same to OP. He was interested in playing a retail MM cartridge on EmuNAND. He didn't care if it was Gateway mode, Classic mode, or Banana Sundae mode.

LoneGrenade and pcmantinker like this.
  13. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    To try and clarify, Jason's post is spot on between sysNAND and emuNAND. One is internal, the other is on the SD card.

Simplifying from there: you can boot into the emuNAND in one of two modes. emuNAND can be accessed through Gateway Mode or Classic Mode.

BOTH of these modes use emuNAND. (emuNAND's purpose is to be able to user later firmwares), so in that sense, it allows any games that actually need the newer firmware to work. What makes them different is what you can play on each.

Gateway Mode lets you use your Gateway cart to load ROMs from it. To do this however means that game carts won't work. This is why Classic Mode exists. It does not use Gateway code to run ROMs, but instead is just a way to use your emuNAND to load retail games (like Majora's Mask).

In short, yes, you can load retail MM through classic mode.

Kafke likes this.