Hacking GW and EmuNAND Question

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No, it simply doesn't read them.
My guess is that, during Gateway mode, the normal cartridge loading is disabled and is replaced with a custom "ODE" that allows it to run the red card. That's why classic mode exists.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Are you quite sure? Isn't classic mode also EmuNAND?
Basically, you have 2 NANDs, sysNAND and emuNAND.
sysNAND is the NAND which stores your native firmware, the one that can be exploited.
emuNAND is a copy of the same NAND that is stored on the sysNAND chip, but it is located on the SD card.
Whenever you boot into Gateway mode, it boots into the NAND which is stored on the SD card (emuNAND). This allows you to not only load the red card and run unsigned code, but also allows you to be on the latest firmware.
My guess is that whenever you boot Gateway mode, it turns the game card slot into a sort of "ODE", which allows it to run the red card, and that's why normal 3DS cartridges do not work in emuNAND/Gateway mode.
And because of the above they needed Classic mode, in order to spoof game cartridges (To run a game without updating) and also region free, and classic mode uses the sysNAND, not the emuNAND. Why? Not sure, but I bet there wasn't good compatability.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
sysNAND is the NAND which stores your native firmware, the one that can be exploited.
emuNAND is a copy of the same NAND that is stored on the sysNAND chip, but it is located on the SD card.
Whenever you boot into Gateway mode, it boots into the NAND which is stored on the SD card (emuNAND). This allows you to not only load the red card and run unsigned code, but also allows you to be on the latest firmware.
My guess is that whenever you boot Gateway mode, it turns the game card slot into a sort of "ODE", which allows it to run the red card, and that's why normal 3DS cartridges do not work in emuNAND/Gateway mode.
And because of the above they needed Classic mode, in order to spoof game cartridges (To run a game without updating) and also region free, and classic mode uses the sysNAND, not the emuNAND. Why? Not sure, but I bet there wasn't good compatability.

Classic mode is still emunand, but with different patches applied to boot commercial carts

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks. I didn't need an explanation on the difference between SysNAND and EmuNAND.
But even though I was so sure before, you still had me doubting. So I went to check it out. Classic mode definitely uses EmuNAND, so you were wrong after all.

Reactions: Kafke

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I actually made a mistake. "Gateway mode = emuNAND" is not 100% correct, it's just that it means the same to tempers.
That said, I indeed booted classic mode and it did indeed boot into emuNAND.

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually made a mistake. "Gateway mode = emuNAND" is not 100% correct, it's just that it means the same to tempers.
That said, I indeed booted classic mode and it did indeed boot into emuNAND.
I'm a member here just as much as you, and that's not what it means to me. And it definitely didn't mean the same to OP. He was interested in playing a retail MM cartridge on EmuNAND. He didn't care if it was Gateway mode, Classic mode, or Banana Sundae mode.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
To try and clarify, Jason's post is spot on between sysNAND and emuNAND. One is internal, the other is on the SD card.

Simplifying from there: you can boot into the emuNAND in one of two modes. emuNAND can be accessed through Gateway Mode or Classic Mode.

BOTH of these modes use emuNAND. (emuNAND's purpose is to be able to user later firmwares), so in that sense, it allows any games that actually need the newer firmware to work. What makes them different is what you can play on each.

Gateway Mode lets you use your Gateway cart to load ROMs from it. To do this however means that game carts won't work. This is why Classic Mode exists. It does not use Gateway code to run ROMs, but instead is just a way to use your emuNAND to load retail games (like Majora's Mask).

In short, yes, you can load retail MM through classic mode.

Reactions: Kafke

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on