Hardware guitar hero/rock band add ons

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a few questions about instruments for the guitar hero/rock band games:

1) which is the better drum kit?

2) if i got the rock band kit + cymbals, do the cymbals work with the guitar hero games?

3) do the mic and drums both plug in via usb? if im using a usb hard drive will i need a hub to plug in 3 usb in total?

thanks guys

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
zizer said:

thanks, thats 1 outta 3 sorted!

cant believe noone here has experince with the devices tho
frown.gif

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You're not simply asking for someone who has experience with it, but asking for someone who has experience with MULTIPLE devices. I think most people will just stick with - at best - one, so you better check out some professional review sites.
smile.gif

I'm inclined to say that the rock band drum kit is better, but it's hard to judge (never played that kit). I can only say that the guitar hero (4?) drum kit I have makes a 'thumb' that sounds so much like plastic it diminishes the experience (unless you crank the volume way up, everything is going to sound the same).

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i could understand the average gamer only having tryed one kit but would have thought experienced gamers would have sat down at both kits at least once in the past! think i'll just buy both and return one. will report back with my findings
smile.gif

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the guitar hero set which is a nice set, minus the foot pedal. I ended up getting an actual electronic drum kick sensor and placed it on an actual bass drum pedal and it rocked. I have not used the standard rock band drums or the new one with cymbals, but last week I did just get an Ion drum rocker pro set with 3 cymbals. This thing is a beast and will stand up to about anything, fully customizable, and with an add on can function as a fully capable electric drum set. The gh drums connect through a wiimote, and the ion kit attaches with usb. I believe the standard kit has a wireless dongle that it uses. I really enjoy using the ion kit, but rb drums do not work for gh games on the wii, I think they do for ps3 and xbox360 though. The gh set will obviously work for all full band gh games, and any of the rb2 and newer games (quite a few of the track packs, lego, beatles, green day, rb3). I would all but sell my gh drums if it were not for gh metallica. rb3 is king now. They have an amazing amount and variety of dlc, and the new pro modes offer much depth to the songs. I use gh 3 les pauls and they work will all of the music games just fine. I did get one of the new pro fender mustang guitar, which is insanely hard to use for someone like me that has played guitar professionally for the last 15 years. Novelty-wise it is pretty cool, but the reality is you need to know how to play the song already, note for note, how they do it. Needless to say I haven't used it that much. I would highly recommend the keyboard though, the pro mode is once again pretty tough, but on the normal setting it uses the normal color scheme and is a lot of fun. It can also do the guitar or bass parts if you aren't already using 2 guitars. Both the mustang guitar and the keyboard connect using separate wireless usb dongles, and neither one are supported by gh.

My recommendation would be to get a gh set for maximum compatibility. When using this set for rb3 I would use pro mode and you can turn on the orange cymbal to use as a green or blue cymbal in the game. I always though the rb guitars felt a little cheap and flimsy, and so I picked up some used gh les pauls on ebay. I would also invest rb3 and the keyboard. Lets face it, when playing with friends no one really wanted to sing that badly and many times no one did. The keyboard really opens the game up for 4 players, plus you can have up to 3 mics on some of the songs, making it 7 players!

Sorry to be so long winded, but I hope this clears a few things up!

P.S. As for the audible sound of the drums when being played, that is how all electronic drums sound, no getting around it. Turn up the sound, its rock and roll for god's sake.
evil.gif

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wow. im gonna have to read that a few times to take it all in! but thanks for a great reply

as i used to play the drums and was looking into getting a kit anyway i may rethink and look into the ion option
smile.gif

and thanks for the keyboard idea...4 player band jam would be sweet (and your right, none of us wanna sing!) iv just looked and the keyboards a bit expensive
frown.gif
id rather be selfish and put the money toward the ion kit! what add on do you need to make the ion kit a stand alone electric kit?

hybridLearner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the Ion kit they recommend using the Alesis DM6 controller, however about any drum controller should work. The pads are all connected with standard 1/4in instrument cable. I just ordered a dm6 off ebay for like $100, but haven't gotten it yet. I think if I were to do it all over again instead of the ion kit I would get the alesis one and buy the rb module as a bonus. The alesis ones won't have the color stripes on them, but it usually comes with 3 cymbals instead of 2, a nicer snare that has the ability for rim shots, a nicer kick trigger (the ion one is loud as hell), and a hat pedal. They don't seem to be that much different in price after you get all the addons for the ion, but the alesis ones are a bit nicer it appears. On a side note the ion ones are undoubtedly made by alesis anyway. I know this is the ultra expensive way to go, but you also need to consider the fact that you are also getting a real electric drum set out of the deal too! I just wish the dm6 had a midi on it.

PS, I see that from now until June 30th if you buy the alesis set you get a free drumrocker module with it!

ozviewer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,
Just read this thread...an other question if I may.

I have all the PS2 gear to play Rockband and Guitar Hero, but have just acquired a Wii as well.Naturally, it would be nice to use some of my existing ps2 gear. I see this is available for the guitar ( not sure if it only works on a hard wired, and not the wifi guitars though)
I noted these on ebay...has anyone had any experience using this ps2 to wii converter?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Thanks
edit...
I think the answer is "yes"
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=205...p;#entry2556269

ozviewer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My little gizmo turned up the other day and I just tried it. Both the wired and wireless Guitar Hero guitars that come with Guitar Hero work fine with this PS2 to Wii adapter. The Rock Band wireless tries, but bombs out on my early test..perhaps something to do with the usb input on the wii, but I already have the other usb input in use with a wbfs hard drive. Hope this helps someone.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
how about ps3/360 hardware with a wii? cause i see the price of the band hero bundle as low as £30 for ps3 and 360 but for wii its still £70+

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E