Gaming Guitar Hero 5 impressions

Profezza

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, the second (regular) Guitar Hero to follow Rock Band 2 is out. Lots of Songs, lots of gameplay modes, lots of extras.. so what does everyone think? I find the overall package polished and fun, but the song choices sometimes seem just strange, like which ones are live, or choosing Dylan over Hendrix. The challenges are excellent. Character Creator is better and worse, needs more face options.

here's some GH5 codes (and wii remote versions)

Green: A
Red: B
Yellow: > (d-pad right)
Blue: 1

Invisible Rockers
Green, Red, Yellow(3), Blue(2), Green
AB>>11A
Air Instruments
Press Red(2), Blue, Yellow, Green(3), Yellow
BB1>AAA>
Auto Kick
Yellow, Green, Red, Blue(4), Red
>AB1111B
Performance Mode
Yellow(2), Blue, Red, Blue, Green, Red(2).
>>1B1ABB
Contest Winner
Green(2), Red(2), Yellow, Red, Yellow, Blue
AABB>B>1

Normalboyninja

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Gabon
I think its a great improvement since WT. The only thing i didnt like is that the music store was down yesterday (is it down today as well?) and the drummer animations don't sync up with the songs that well.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually I get bored with the game a week later as I've usually beaten all songs I like on highest difficulty but on this one I still love playing some, especially A-Punk by Vampire Weekend.

Aside from the same crappy generic musicians that mostly act completley different to the musicians they are imitating and the fact that I have to play saxophone with my plastic guitar on some songs I'd say it was the best one to date.

Ok its still easy but I love the tracklisting and there isn't really any songs I can't stand. There are some I wont ever play but none that make me vomit like Linkin Park do.

Its more indie centric this time around which pleases me even though some of the bands featured have better songs, especially Blur, whose Song 2 is easy even if you play it with real instruments.

Shame they didn't use the original version of Ring of Fire and its a shame that Lithium is a bad live version rather than a better one or even the original recording but whatever.

The roadie thing is great fun, adds more variety to the game. Still don't like the Mii Jam thing or whatever its called.

My kid loves dancing to this, sometimes its off putting as shes so damn funny but its an easy and fun way to shut her pie hole when shes bitching.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bearing in mind I'm someone who only owns a guitar, and no DS. So my play modes are limited to the old school guitar hero style.

I played about 5mins of GH5 and wasn't impressed at all. The songs are decent - enough. But i donno, i just dont feel it. After playing like 5mins of RB: Beatles today, i was 150% impressed. And not because I'm so big beatles nut either. I like them, but i'm far from a "beatles fan." It just feels much more fluid. The game even invites you to synchronize the A/V upon first start. I don't know if that made a difference or what. But it just feels better.

Know the OP wasnt looking for a comparison, but I was waiting to play the new RB before passing judgement on GH5. Thought maybe it was just me and not the game. Turns out that wasnt the case.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rock Band in general is just better well RB 2, the first Wii game was butchered. Harmonix show more appreciation of music which is why a lot of people prefer the GH games before GH3.

While Harmonix are all about improving the core mechanics of the games & polishing the segments well, Red Octane just do the "more is better" route.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think the overall package of GH5 is really nice, I like the interface and other improvements in the game. I also like the unlimited length playlists, DS connectivity, and the "no fail" option (not for me, but for when I play with friends who are new... failing isn't fun for anyone lol).

The one thing I really don't like is the tracklist. I'm really not a huge fan of the indie scene, many of the artists are unknown to me. This is a hindrance for me: I really prefer to play songs that I've heard before. Different people like different things about the GH/RB experience... my favorite thing is playing songs that I know and recognize, rocking out to them... I don't buy GH/RB to hear new music.

Anyways just my two cents... I realize some people love the indie scene and really like playing new songs they've never heard before. I just wanted to give my opinion, about how I feel.

Hopefully there's lots of good DLC for GH5, and if not, I'll always have RB:Beatles.
smile.gif

Edit: I should add one thing, although overall the playlist sucks IMO, there are some really great songs on it... Running Down a Dream is a great tune, and I almost crapped my pants when I saw Judith by A Perfect Circle on there!
biggrin.gif
I just wish it had more artists that I've heard of, that's all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?