Guild's Game Impressions: "We Still Need Blogs Back"/inFamous Edition

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a bolder move I am not gonna post this one in the EoF. Because we still need blogs.

But yeah, if you didn't know, I recently bought a Playstation 3. I stocked up on a few of the exclusives for the franchise and decided to start with inFamous. So some impressions.

First off, I started with inFamous 2. I got the Black Friday bundle (they had some left over from Black Friday) which came with the inFamous Collection and the Uncharted Dual Pack. I didn't see the first copy of inFamous and accidentally threw it in a bin which I keep my packaging for consoles (it's weird but I throw like my Vita packaging box and stuff in there). I then assumed that maybe the inFamous Collection was just 2, Festival of Blood, and some DLC (the sleeve for inFamous 2 does say "Collection: inFamous 2".

From what I played of inFamous 2 (I stopped short since I discovered the first game and wanted to beat it first), I liked it. Good graphics, fun gameplay, kinda falls into the Prototype/Crackdown category of open world games. However I did find it to be a lot better than Crackdown (didn't play Prototype). The game gives you a bunch of tools to play with and dispatch enemies however you'd like. I'm eager to get back to it.

I then popped in the first one and man, is it a step down. Not a terrible game but they improved it A LOT in the sequel. The animations are horrible, the graphics are pretty bland, and the melee combat is almost useless compared to the sequel. Also I found some of the karma system to be pretty dumb. I enjoy karma systems when they're grey. Where it's not "Hero of the People" or "Professional Mass Rapist" between good and evil. The first inFamous does fall under the "stupidly good" and "stupidly evil" area. One example was a karma decision where there was a bomb at a police station. When a karma situation presents itself, there's some narration by Cole on what each decision equals essentially. Here it was literally "I can either diffuse the bomb... or I can just walk away." Why wouldn't I diffuse the bomb? Hell doing so gives me more juice so I can zap more shit and it takes five seconds. I guess what the game is trying to build is that despite you helping everyone, there's still a large majority of people who just hate you for your accused crimes. So you can either try to redeem yourself in their eyes or you owe them nothing and spite them. Also it has the other issue with karma in which it's either "be good and suffer" or "be bad and prosper". Like I want both sides to have different-buy-equal payoffs so there's no logistic choice that choosing evil is better. The enemies in the first game too are especially annoying. They all have guns and they range from having random, horrific accuracy to hitting me from buildings away with an assault rifle time after time. You don't get any type of "sniper" attacks either so you just have to pray your only decently ranged attack hits them.

However I'll slug through the first game knowing the second is better.

I'll probably do another edition of this for God of War (all five games), Uncharted (the first two), Anarchy Reigns, and Metal Gear Solid 4. Got all these games at the same time so I'm taking them in stride.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your PSN ID? So I can add you and send you abusive messages.

GuildMcCommunist.

there is a sniper attack called precision

I haven't unlocked it yet but I remember seeing it come up in the bonus content downloads for iF2. And the enemies aren't a huge issue in iF2, they're only a gigantic PITA in the first game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc