Guide to install game as PSN-like Icon on XMB

Guide to install a PSN-like icon to launch game from XMB

Guide done with Castlevania Lords of Shadow as an example.

- PRE-REQUISITES -

• Any official or custom firmware from 1.90 to 3.55.
• A game already installed on your PS3 internal HDD using a Game Manager. (MultiMan, Gaia Manager, Rogero Manager, etc.).
• multiMAN 1.16.12 or newer, already installed on your PS3. (Guide written with v1.17.02) -> update for v2.00.04
• EBOOT_FIX.rar that you can find in some multiMAN archives. (Not always included, download older version if missing)
• A FAT32 USB device.
• Microsoft .net framework 3.5? or Visual basic libraries?

- PROCEDURE -
On PC

• Extract "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX].rar" inside a folder, anywhere on your computer.

• Open this new folder and keep it open

• Put your Game folders on your computer or external drive.
If you dumped your Bluray game to internal, use a game manager to copy the game on the external HDD, or use an FTP server to transfer the game to your computer.
You can use FAT32 with split files too.

• Open your game in a new explorer window with to have "MultiMan [EBOOT_FIX]" folder and your game folder side by side.

• Drag and drop your game folder on eboot_fix.exe, a new command window will open to patch the game automatically.

You can either drag and drop one of these folders into eboot_fix.exe :
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME\USRDIR

• Wait until the Command window close by itself (1 to 5 minutes).

• You should now have 2 new folders in the "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX]" folder :
- [BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)
- [BLUS30339] [RETAIL] Castlevania Lords of Shadow

•Go into the NPDRM folder, ex. for Castlevania: "[BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)".
There you will find :
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).txt" --> A step by step installation guide
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmwares from 1.90 to 3.41
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)-FW_355.pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmware 3.55

• Copy the correct pkg file to the root of your FAT32 USB device.

On PS3

• Boot your PS3 in jailbreak mode, or use a Custom Firmware.

• Go to "Game Data Utility" at the top of the GAME column on XMB.

• Delete any related game data from the game that you want to create as PSN-like icon.

• Plug the FAT32 USB device into the console.

• Go to the "★ Install Package Files" menu under the GAME column on your XMB and select the .PKG file you created previously.

• Go back to XMB and launch multiMAN

• Put MultiMan in file manager mode (press SELECT+START, or L1/R1 to change mode up to the file manager mode).

• Browse to your installed game (the real one, used by your manager), put the cursor over PS3_GAME folder (Do not go inside),
then:
- If you are using multiMAN 1.xx.xx press R3
- If you are using multiMAN 2.xx.xx press O (Circle) and select "Shadow copy".
/dev_hdd0/gamez/[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow/PS3_GAME/

• It will ask if you want to create a shadow copy of the selected folder, answer yes.

This operation will create SHADOW copy of "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™" to:
/dev_hdd0/G/U30339 and /dev_hdd0/game/BLUS30339/

• Exit multiMAN (top right icon in the file manager mode)

• Launch the game directly from "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™ (HDD)" icon on the [GAME] column in XMB

• If prompted to update the game to newer version - cancel the update

F.A.Q.

Q. Why did you make a guide, it's already explained in MultiMan?
A. Some users still asked how to do it.
I had some questions not answered in the guide written by Dean, and I thought other users might have them too. I answer these questions as a FAQ.

Q. How does it's work?
A. Following this guide will create a new eboot.bin and a /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID folder. This eboot.bin is a signed NPDRM (PSN-like icon) that you can launch directly from the XMB instead of using a Game Manager.
When launching this NPDRM boot file, it will read your game's file located on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/
on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/, there are SHADOW links to your actual backup game's files path.

PS : I looked on dev_hdd0 using ftp server and a file manager, all 3 folders have full games files size. I don't know if it really takes 3x more places or if it's links reporting original file's size.

Q. Why does it need 2 redirections?
A. To install a game as a PSN-like icon, we need to replace any references to the game path from /dev_bdvd/ to the actual place where is store your game's files.
Depending on the backup Manager you are using, it can be stored in many different places, and the folders can have any names you want, but the path size in eboot.bin must be kept short.
So, all the path references are redirected to this path on the internal hard drive: /dev_hdd0/G/partial GAMEID/

When you are patching the game's eboot.bin yourself using another program (ex. Auto Modifier), then you have to move all your game's file manually into the chosen "short named" folder.

With multiMAN SHADOW copy option, it creates a new eboot.bin in this folder, instead of the game's file, which rewrite in real time all /Partial GAMEID/ references to your actual game files path.
The advantage of multiMAN is that your real game files are kept at the same place all the time, so you can still launch the game using your game manager if you want to.

Q. Do I need a PSN account to use PSN-like game?
A. No PSN account needed. (Well, I never linked my PS3 to PSN, but I tried once when PSN can't be accessed with older firmware, so I have now a PSN icon on my XMB but I never synch).

Q. Why can't I update the game?
A. The update will replace the NPDRM eboot.bin with a retail eboot.bin.

Q. Then, how do I update my game?
A.

Q. Will my current saves and trophy will still be working with the PSN-like game?
A. Yes

Q. Are "Black Screen Games" working from internal HDD using this method?
A. Yes

Q. Does it work on OFW, or do I need to launch the console with a payload using a dongle ? (not concerned by cfw)
A. The game runs on a non jailbroken system as if the game was a retail PSN game. (= no dongle needed to play backups)

Q. Does it work only with internal games, or can I store my games on external HDD too?
A.

Q. How do I uninstall the PSN-like game?
A. Select the XMB game icon and press Triangle button. select "Delete" and accept. It will delete the XMB Icon and the installed game data.
It will keep : The save games, the trophies, and the shadow link information located on /dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxxxx/ (xxxxxxx is the folder name of your game base on the GameID).
If you want to delete it, use multiMAN file manager or the FTP server.

Q. Will it delete my game from the game Manager too, or only from the XMB?
A. Only from the XMB as you deleted it using the official XMB.

Q. Does it delete the SHADOW copy folder too (/dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxx/), or do I have to delete this folder manually with a FTP or file manager?
A. You have to delete that folder manually.

Q. When I use eboot_fix.exe, there are other folders. What are they used for?
A. Eboot_fix.exe creates 3 things:
NPDRM (PSN-like icon)
1- Creates a pkg to install on your PS3. Then on MultiMan you have to make a SHADOW link of the game to point the real game data.
2- Creates 2 eboot.bin in the DATA folder. MODIF eboot.bin is a decrypted+resigned version (For backup manager), and a NPDRM eboot.bin for PSN-like version (used for /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID/ folder).
RETAIL (not PSN-like)
3- Creates a new decrypted and re-signed eboot.bin/trophy/license folder structure to run the game on a lower firmware than the required firmware. (For backup manager)
The created eboot.bin is the same as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous line, but this folder includes all the decrypted and resigned files needed for the game, like license and trophy.

Created files 2 and 3 are only for advanced users, they are used to replace the files manually with ftp or file manager. You should focus only on the created pkg if you want a PSN-like game icon on your XMB.

Q. What is eboot_mod.exe used for?
A. eboot_mod.exe is the same thing as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous question. It's used to decrypt and resign the new game's eboot.bin to launch the game on older firmware.
Drag and drop an EBOOT.BIN file on it, and it will create a MODIFIED_EBOOT.BIN
Rename and replace the EBOOT.BIN using an ftp server or a file manager into your backup game folder.

PS :
Let me know what you think about it, or if there's any error (I'm still trying to understand how the links are working).
I'm still testing few things, I'll complete the faq later, after deleting the PSN-like game icon from XMB.

Updates:
2011 06 13: updated the Shadow copy command to use the context menu instead of R3 for multiMAN v2.00.01+
2012 01 13: Added info about deleting a game.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide to install a PSN-like icon to launch game from XMB

Guide done with Castlevania Lords of Shadow as an example.

- PRE-REQUISITES -

• Any official or custom firmware from 1.90 to 3.55.
• A game already installed on your PS3 internal HDD using a Game Manager. (MultiMan, Gaia Manager, Rogero Manager, etc.).
• multiMAN 1.16.12 or newer, already installed on your PS3. (Guide written with v1.17.02) -> update for v2.00.04
• EBOOT_FIX.rar that you can find in some multiMAN archives. (Not always included, download older version if missing)
• A FAT32 USB device.
• Microsoft .net framework 3.5? or Visual basic libraries?

- PROCEDURE -
On PC

• Extract "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX].rar" inside a folder, anywhere on your computer.

• Open this new folder and keep it open

• Put your Game folders on your computer or external drive.
If you dumped your Bluray game to internal, use a game manager to copy the game on the external HDD, or use an FTP server to transfer the game to your computer.
You can use FAT32 with split files too.

• Open your game in a new explorer window with to have "MultiMan [EBOOT_FIX]" folder and your game folder side by side.

• Drag and drop your game folder on eboot_fix.exe, a new command window will open to patch the game automatically.

You can either drag and drop one of these folders into eboot_fix.exe :
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME
or
X:\GAMES\MY_GAME\PS3_GAME\USRDIR

• Wait until the Command window close by itself (1 to 5 minutes).

• You should now have 2 new folders in the "multiMAN [EBOOT_FIX]" folder :
- [BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)
- [BLUS30339] [RETAIL] Castlevania Lords of Shadow

•Go into the NPDRM folder, ex. for Castlevania: "[BLUS30339] [NPDRM] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)".
There you will find :
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).txt" --> A step by step installation guide
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD).pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmwares from 1.90 to 3.41
- "[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow (HDD)-FW_355.pkg" --> The pkg to install on PS3 firmware 3.55

• Copy the correct pkg file to the root of your FAT32 USB device.

On PS3

• Boot your PS3 in jailbreak mode, or use a Custom Firmware.

• Go to "Game Data Utility" at the top of the GAME column on XMB.

• Delete any related game data from the game that you want to create as PSN-like icon.

• Plug the FAT32 USB device into the console.

• Go to the "★ Install Package Files" menu under the GAME column on your XMB and select the .PKG file you created previously.

• Go back to XMB and launch multiMAN

• Put MultiMan in file manager mode (press SELECT+START, or L1/R1 to change mode up to the file manager mode).

• Browse to your installed game (the real one, used by your manager), put the cursor over PS3_GAME folder (Do not go inside),
then:
- If you are using multiMAN 1.xx.xx press R3
- If you are using multiMAN 2.xx.xx press O (Circle) and select "Shadow copy".
/dev_hdd0/gamez/[BLUS30339] Castlevania Lords of Shadow/PS3_GAME/

• It will ask if you want to create a shadow copy of the selected folder, answer yes.

This operation will create SHADOW copy of "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™" to:
/dev_hdd0/G/U30339 and /dev_hdd0/game/BLUS30339/

• Exit multiMAN (top right icon in the file manager mode)

• Launch the game directly from "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow™ (HDD)" icon on the [GAME] column in XMB

• If prompted to update the game to newer version - cancel the update

F.A.Q.

Q. Why did you make a guide, it's already explained in MultiMan?
A.
Some users still asked how to do it.
I had some questions not answered in the guide written by Dean, and I thought other users might have them too. I answer these questions as a FAQ.

Q. How does it's work?
A.
Following this guide will create a new eboot.bin and a /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID folder. This eboot.bin is a signed NPDRM (PSN-like icon) that you can launch directly from the XMB instead of using a Game Manager.
When launching this NPDRM boot file, it will read your game's file located on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/
on /dev_hdd0/G/Partial GAMEID/, there are SHADOW links to your actual backup game's files path.

PS : I looked on dev_hdd0 using ftp server and a file manager, all 3 folders have full games files size. I don't know if it really takes 3x more places or if it's links reporting original file's size.

Q. Why does it need 2 redirections?
A.
To install a game as a PSN-like icon, we need to replace any references to the game path from /dev_bdvd/ to the actual place where is store your game's files.
Depending on the backup Manager you are using, it can be stored in many different places, and the folders can have any names you want, but the path size in eboot.bin must be kept short.
So, all the path references are redirected to this path on the internal hard drive: /dev_hdd0/G/partial GAMEID/

When you are patching the game's eboot.bin yourself using another program (ex. Auto Modifier), then you have to move all your game's file manually into the chosen "short named" folder.

With multiMAN SHADOW copy option, it creates a new eboot.bin in this folder, instead of the game's file, which rewrite in real time all /Partial GAMEID/ references to your actual game files path.
The advantage of multiMAN is that your real game files are kept at the same place all the time, so you can still launch the game using your game manager if you want to.

Q. Do I need a PSN account to use PSN-like game?
A.
No PSN account needed. (Well, I never linked my PS3 to PSN, but I tried once when PSN can't be accessed with older firmware, so I have now a PSN icon on my XMB but I never synch).

Q. Why can't I update the game?
A.
The update will replace the NPDRM eboot.bin with a retail eboot.bin.

Q. Then, how do I update my game?
A.

Q. Will my current saves and trophy will still be working with the PSN-like game?
A.
Yes

Q. Are "Black Screen Games" working from internal HDD using this method?
A.
Yes

Q. Does it work on OFW, or do I need to launch the console with a payload using a dongle ? (not concerned by cfw)
A. The game runs on a non jailbroken system as if the game was a retail PSN game. (= no dongle needed to play backups)

Q. Does it work only with internal games, or can I store my games on external HDD too?
A.

Q. How do I uninstall the PSN-like game?
A.
Select the XMB game icon and press Triangle button. select "Delete" and accept. It will delete the XMB Icon and the installed game data.
It will keep : The save games, the trophies, and the shadow link information located on /dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxxxx/ (xxxxxxx is the folder name of your game base on the GameID).
If you want to delete it, use multiMAN file manager or the FTP server.

Q. Will it delete my game from the game Manager too, or only from the XMB?
A.
Only from the XMB as you deleted it using the official XMB.

Q. Does it delete the SHADOW copy folder too (/dev_hdd0/G/xxxxxx/), or do I have to delete this folder manually with a FTP or file manager?
A.
You have to delete that folder manually.

Q. When I use eboot_fix.exe, there are other folders. What are they used for?
A.
Eboot_fix.exe creates 3 things:
NPDRM (PSN-like icon)
1- Creates a pkg to install on your PS3. Then on MultiMan you have to make a SHADOW link of the game to point the real game data.
2- Creates 2 eboot.bin in the DATA folder. MODIF eboot.bin is a decrypted+resigned version (For backup manager), and a NPDRM eboot.bin for PSN-like version (used for /dev_hdd0/game/GAMEID/ folder).
RETAIL (not PSN-like)
3- Creates a new decrypted and re-signed eboot.bin/trophy/license folder structure to run the game on a lower firmware than the required firmware. (For backup manager)
The created eboot.bin is the same as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous line, but this folder includes all the decrypted and resigned files needed for the game, like license and trophy.

Created files 2 and 3 are only for advanced users, they are used to replace the files manually with ftp or file manager. You should focus only on the created pkg if you want a PSN-like game icon on your XMB.

Q. What is eboot_mod.exe used for?
A.
eboot_mod.exe is the same thing as the "MODIF eboot.bin" from the previous question. It's used to decrypt and resign the new game's eboot.bin to launch the game on older firmware.
Drag and drop an EBOOT.BIN file on it, and it will create a MODIFIED_EBOOT.BIN
Rename and replace the EBOOT.BIN using an ftp server or a file manager into your backup game folder.

PS :
Let me know what you think about it, or if there's any error (I'm still trying to understand how the links are working).
I'm still testing few things, I'll complete the faq later, after deleting the PSN-like game icon from XMB.

Updates:
2011 06 13: updated the Shadow copy command to use the context menu instead of R3 for multiMAN v2.00.01+
2012 01 13: Added info about deleting a game.

sorry for necrobumping but, can this work on a later cfw like rebug 4.70.1?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
sorry, I don't know.
I haven't used my PS3 since I wrote the guide (I'm still on OFW 3.41)

I will suppose that it still work, it's like doing it on an old CFW and updating to new CFW. Old games are supposed to still work.
But I can't say that it's 100% certain/safe.
Someone else will need to confirm before you try anything.

But I think at worse, it will just refuse to boot.
packing the pkg will work, unpacking will work (it's only copying files in specific path, you could even do it with ftp), launching will crash/freeze/error if it's not compatible.

Reactions: keven3477

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To this day i can not make this to work on newer firmware after 3.55 cfw.I don know why?
might be easier to use wmm. in options, there's a checkbox for dev_hdd0/game, so your psn games and ps3 iso games will be sorted together. the only drawback is that psn will use the icon0.png, and I think ps3 uses boxart.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission