Tutorial Guide: Recover from Frankenfirmware w/o upgrading to 10.3 or higher

If you tried this on your 3DS, did it work?

• Total voters

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
Still get the same error.... I even formatted my (2-day old :P) 3ds, so I'll troubleshoot and hopefully come up with a solution.
I used my Sky3DS to update to 10.1 (so fw was 10.1.0-26E) and then retried sysupdater and it worked! :D Now I can finally transfer all my games from my o3ds!

wiiNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used my Sky3DS to update to 10.1 (so fw was 10.1.0-26E) and then retried sysupdater and it worked! :D Now I can finally transfer all my games from my o3ds!

@TheDuckMan64 - How do you update using Sky3DS? I've got a FrankenFW trying to go from 9.9 to 9.2. Now I can't start Pasta, and SysUpdater gives me black screen. I've got a Sky3DS, but don't know the specifics on how to update the system using a game cart (or Sky3DS in this case). Thanks.

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
@TheDuckMan64 - How do you update using Sky3DS? I've got a FrankenFW trying to go from 9.9 to 9.2. Now I can't start Pasta, and SysUpdater gives me black screen. I've got a Sky3DS, but don't know the specifics on how to update the system using a game cart (or Sky3DS in this case). Thanks.
I used the Story of Seasons rom from that iso site to upgrade to 10.1. Just stick it on with DiskWriter (or manually if you have a plus) and it will prompt you to update it when you try to play it.

Last edited by TheDuckMan64,

Mulder_RLZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I understand this part correctly @Xoo00o0o0o
"B. Go through the prompts until it asks what type of 3DS. When prompted, select your 3DS model, 9.2.0, the browser from your previous firmware (so 24 for 9.6.0-24), and then your region of 3DS."

It means that if I'm downgrading to 9.2.0 thats the version I should select in the HAX menu and then the browser I need to select is from the previous version (eventough its not the same as the 9.2.0)?

Reason Im asking is because I have the game but no other 3DS so before downgrading, Ill prepare OOThax after getting menuxhax working as a safe in case something goes wrong in the downgrade process.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
When trying to start HBL with OoT3D I get an error message. I installed OoThax on an old 3ds and my n3ds had 9.8.0.-25E, which is the version I put for the OoThax. Or should it have been the one I tried to downgrade to (9.2.0-20E)?

EDIT: It was the latter. I managed to follow the steps and now my system shows as 9.2 FW!! That's great! I opened downgrade check and I have 1 extra title and 2 title id with expected version and installed version. What does that mean?

BTW, thank you so much OP for this guide.

Last edited by Bullseye,

felixsrg

Temp's Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hello, I would really use some help, and thanks.

I downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2 on a (U) New 3DS, everything seemed to be fine (used the sysUpdater that uses ARM11 kernel exploit and verifications, 0.4.2b version) I sadly ended up with a frankenfirmware, Downgrade Check shows 7 mismatched titles, now I do not have ARM9 access (MiniPasta, Pasta, RxTools, EmuNAND9 or Decrypt9) I wanted to know, what my possible options are? I have access to HBL via OOTHax.

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I would really use some help, and thanks.

I downgraded from 10.3 to 9.2 on a (U) New 3DS, everything seemed to be fine (used the sysUpdater that uses ARM11 kernel exploit and verifications, 0.4.2b version) I sadly ended up with a frankenfirmware, Downgrade Check shows 7 mismatched titles, now I do not have ARM9 access (MiniPasta, Pasta, RxTools, EmuNAND9 or Decrypt9) I wanted to know, what my possible options are? I have access to HBL via OOTHax.
Could you post your downgrade log?

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same log file as yours. Does that mean we are good to go to install CFW? Did you encounter any issue with that log file?

EDIT: It looks like this: (just a tad different from yours)
Title ID 0x000400300000b902
Extra title
Title ID 0x0004013000001b02
Expected version 0x0800
Installed version 0x0c01
Title ID 0x0004013000001a02
Expected version 0x1400
Installed version 0x1801

I tried downgrading my n3ds from 9.9.0-26U to 9.2.0-20U and got an error during the process.

EDIT:

Since I didn't have any of the recommended things, I thought I would just try to run sysupdater again. It had trouble starting up, but on the 4th or 5th try I got it to boot and pressed Y again to downgrade. This time it went through to the end and rebooted the system after 10 seconds.

So it looks like if you can run sysupdater you don't need Zelda and another 3DS to fix this problem.

now my log file is much shorter:

Code:
Title ID 0x0004003000009e02
  Extra title
  Expected version 0x0800
  Installed version 0x0c01
  Expected version 0x1400
  Installed version 0x1801

I think I should be good now

Last edited by Bullseye,

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
I have the same log file as yours. Does that mean we are good to go to install CFW? Did you encounter any issue with that log file?

EDIT: It looks like this: (just a tad different from yours)
Title ID 0x000400300000b902
Extra title
Expected version 0x0800
Installed version 0x0c01
Expected version 0x1400
Installed version 0x1801
You should be ok. Those are system files and an amiibo applet. The applet might not be usable, but you should be able to use minipasta to install the correct one with FBI.3dsx

Reactions: Bullseye

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks! I don't have any interest in using amiibo any time soon. Would the log be empty if no file was missing? Or how would it look like?

You should be ok. Those are system files and an amiibo applet. The applet might not be usable, but you should be able to use minipasta to install the correct one with FBI.3dsx

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so should I try to install 9.2 FW update again (would it be worth it, after having recovered from a frankenFW) or can I go and install rxTools and forget about it?

EDIT: I noticed that when I unrar the 9.2 FW folder i get 104 files, but sometimes when deleting the update folder from microSD it only showed 102 files
EDIT2: This log shows installed titles, the part of checking missing titles is blank (...), just FYI

It would either be empty or say something like "Success!".

Last edited by Bullseye,

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so should I try to install 9.2 FW update again (would it be worth it, after having recovered from a frankenFW) or can I go and install rxTools and forget about it?

EDIT: I noticed that when I unrar the 9.2 FW folder i get 104 files, but sometimes when deleting the update folder from microSD it only showed 102 files
EDIT2: This log shows installed titles, the part of checking missing titles is blank (...), just FYI
You should be fine to install rxtools!

Reactions: Bullseye
N

NoGamer

I also have Franken-firmware after try downgrade from 10.2 to 9.2. Now the settings app crashes and go back to the home menu and also recovery mode give a black screen. I deleted everything on the SDcard and try again but after going to the browser and try to go to (http://yls8.mtheall.com/spider28hax.php) the screen below get yellow and grey and ten get stuck and crashes. Before i was booting into HBL but i guess that's not working anymore. Is there any change of fixing this issue. I have another 2DS with SW 8.1 and RXtools (emuNAND 10.6 @ SysNAND 8.1), hope there is some hope here, it's my wife here console so ssst. ;)

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
I also have Franken-firmware after try downgrade from 10.2 to 9.2. Now the settings app crashes and go back to the home menu and also recovery mode give a black screen. I deleted everything on the SDcard and try again but after going to the browser and try to go to (http://yls8.mtheall.com/spider28hax.php) the screen below get yellow and grey and ten get stuck and crashes. Before i was booting into HBL but i guess that's not working anymore. Is there any change of fixing this issue. I have another 2DS with SW 8.1 and RXtools (emuNAND 10.6 @ SysNAND 8.1), hope there is some hope here, it's my wife here console so ssst. ;)

Do you have a game cartridge with 9.3+ on it? You can use that or a sky3ds to update your console and try again. Or, worst case scenario, you can update to 10.6 and use the new sysupdater with svhax (avaliable here).

N

NoGamer

I going to the shop tomorrow and hope there is a EUR game with SW 9.3, i see only one game available (Bravely Second-End Layer). You say in worst scenario update to 10.6, how can i do that without a game that have SW 10.6 update ?

PS: Updating from a game card will working 100% sure or it's not sure it will work and fix the issues ?

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
I going to the shop tomorrow and hope there is a EUR game with SW 9.3, i see only one game available (Bravely Second-End Layer). You say in worst scenario update to 10.6, how can i do that without a game that have SW 10.6 update ?

PS: Updating from a game card will working 100% sure or it's not sure it will work and fix the issues ?
You can update to 10.6 via the official Settings application. And yes, updating with a game will fix a frankenfirmware.

EDIT: Your game cartridge can have fw 9.3-10.3 on it, not just 9.3.

N

NoGamer

Guy's

Just a head up, the shop fixed the franken firmware with game card update from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Now the guy updates the SW to the latest 10.7 without telling to me, after i see it happens it was already to late. Anyway, i'm going to sell the console tomorrow and buy another 2DS Mario Kart 7 pack with SW 8.1. Going to leave that downgrading because i don't want another franken firmware. I have now SW 10.7 and far as i know there is no downgrade available for that (with a paid entry point maybe (?) but i'm going to just forget that. :)

Last edited by ,

TheDuckMan64

Chicken nugget.
Trophies
XP
Country
Guy's

Just a head up, the shop fixed the franken firmware with game card update from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Now the guy updates the SW to the latest 10.7 without telling to me, after i see it happens it was already to late. Anyway, i'm going to sell the console tomorrow and buy another 2DS Mario Kart 7 pack with SW 8.1. Going to leave that downgrading because i don't want another franken firmware. I have now SW 10.7 and far as i know there is no downgrade available for that (with a paid entry point maybe (?) but i'm going to just forget that. :)
How to downgrade from 10.7:

https://www.reboot.ms/forum/threads/downgrade-3ds-10-7-10-6-to-9-2.2008/

Last edited by TheDuckMan64,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol