Homebrew [GUIDE] How to make your own Homebrew apps for nubes :)

Owarai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide to Making a Homebrew App for Beginners
When I tried starting making homebrew apps, I had to ask a lot of different sources for info, so here is a (supposedly) easy-to-use, guide (not a tutorial) for making them.

If you're really into it, you're going to be able to make apps in no time! :yay3ds:(Well, except for the first step. ;))

Requirements:
Steps:

1. :teach:Go learn C or C++. It is literally impossible to do anything until you do so. You only need to know the basics, like the usage of the standard library, control statements, and some other really basic stuff. (Correction: you only need to know the basics in order to make basic homebrew. But by basic, when you finish the C++ tutorials in the link, you can probably make over 100 different games/utilities This will take, say, about a week to get used to and understand. That's pretty quick for being able to understand. A lot faster than learning even just the basics of a foreign language.http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ is a great place to start. You can use just the online interpreter here: http://cpp.sh/, or get an IDE (integrated development environment). I don't want to sound advertising, but I personally use VS 2013, and I became addicted to it.
Edit: Umbyy on reditt suggested this: https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/C++ . Seems pretty cool to me!
  1. Download DevKitPro. http://devkitpro.org/wiki/Getting_Started/devkitARM. No, "Pro" doesn't mean you have to pay for it. It means it's awesome. Anyway, install it once you download it.
  2. It should be installed on the root of your hard drive by default.
  3. Test your compiler. Open up MSys (it's in \devkitPro\msys\msys.bat). Then type
    Code:
    cd  C:\devkitPro\examples\3ds\graphics\printing\hello-world
    (Change "C:" to your hard drive's actual letter. Mine's "C:"). Hit enter. Then type
    Code:
    make
    . Hit enter. Voila! You just compiled your first example code. :D The "cd" command made MSys go to the directory you typed after it, and the "make" command compiled your source using instructions from a file called "Makefile" that was located in the directory you typed previously. Pretty neat!
  4. Test it on your 3DS. Go to \devkitPro\examples\3ds\graphics\printing\hello-world\ in your favorite file explorer. There should be something like "hello-world.3dsx", "hello-world.elf", and "hello-world.smdh". Copy/move them all into your sd card in \3ds\ folder. Eject your sd and plug it in into your 3ds. Start up the Homebrew Launcher, and play "hello-world". There should be an output of your previously compiled app!
  5. Go to \devkitPro\examples\3ds in your explorer. Notice the list of folders that contains the examples. From there go to .\graphics\printing\hello-world\source\ (in the explorer), and open up main.c. If you want to use C++, rename the extension to cpp. Fiddle and experiment with the contents, and make sure there are no syntax errors.
  6. Turn off your 3ds. Repeat step 4 to compile the edited code, except this time, "cd" into the directory of your customized code. (This is the directory where there has to exist a file called "Makefile".
  7. That's it! Now you can create homebrew apps of your choice, as long as you know how! :grog:(The best way (I personally think) is to learn C or C++, and also at the same time, read the 3ds examples, and learn how to use some things, like input methods.)
Credits:
Oh, where should I start?
#Cakey on Freenode for pretty much every development detail.
devkitPro developers.
Pretty much everyone who did stuff with exploiting the 3ds and making homebrew before I wrote this guide.

Nintendo for my crappy o3ds that require an exploit to run homebrew. <sigh>
If you think I forgot to mention you, please send me a pm, because I'm not on GBATemp often, and I probably won't read the comments after the 1st page.

Last edited by Owarai,

Owarai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again! I also updated the original post so that I don't sound like I'm yelling in the first step. Also, I added a little blurb to tell people that its really not that hard (except for the 1st step, maybe) if you put your mind to it.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice, although it doesn't really explain how to "make homebrew", and I'm not saying that "making" can be explained so easily, but this guide is just for actually compiling your project :P
Also.."VS 2013"

Owarai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated the original post to include a suggestion by Umbyy on reddit. Also, I get what you mean by how it doesn't explain how to exactly make your own homebrew, but the thread is titled this way because 1) I don't think repeating the other C/C++ tutorials are helpful, and 2) It's a pun :).

Shadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great tutorial! It's nice and simple. Good thing I learned C++ not too long ago (still remember how). Hopefully this helps anyone looking to make any homebrew applications for current and future consoles!

Last edited by Shadd,

Momoro

The Dark One
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm developing a Homebrew App, but I have a teeny question that I feel doesn't need a thread for. Anyone know how to clear the screen? I have text on the screen, and when the X button is pressed,(I already got that part down) the text would be cleared off of the screen. Thanks :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay