[Guide] How to forward Homebrew Apps straight to your Homemenu!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by GRAnimated, Jul 5, 2017.

?

Did this work for you?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GRAnimated
    OP

GRAnimated Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    Alright. I've been holding up how to do this for quite a while but I've seen a few people ask in the Reddit /r/WiiUHacks Q&A so I decided I should answer it here because they kept removing the post there..

To begin, there are a few things you want to know.

• This uses Haxchi, meaning that for each homebrew app you do you need another DS game!

• This shouldn't brick your console, but there is a chance it could. It's unlikely. Also, this has been working for me for quite a while now!
    Lets start!

Download Haxchi from here. and extract it to the root of your SD card.

Edit the IconTex.tga file at haxchi/IconTex.tga . This is your icon. Note the boot images have different properties for their images, thus it's harder to edit so I might add that in later. Also, while your here, you can also edit the name of it and the config. In the config, this is where you supply which homebrew app to load.

Make sure you have the DS VC game you want to inject this into already on your Wii U. Legitimately installed games will work for this, along with games installed through WUP Installer. Now, after you have everything all ready, open the homebrew launcher, select Haxchi Installer, then select load, then select your game and inject.

(Note your DS VC game doesn't have to be on the same region as your unit, so for CBHC users you can install a game which is a different region then use that so it doesn't overwrite your current game.)

That's it, now you have a homebrew app on your homemenu which you can open like any other game!

Now since this is all done, you can actually do this to another DS VC game, and just follow the same steps, then you have another!

Now, you might not want to create images by yourself, so here's some pre-made ones that myself and others have made!

HBL2HBC

Instructions on using the pre-made sets

Last edited by GRAnimated, Jul 6, 2017
    Madalone likes this.
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Couldn't you just make an unsigned forwarder title if you're using cfw?

3. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    Wow, using separate haxchi's with dfiferent icons is something I never thought to do lol
    What I do is hold a button depending on what I want to launch. I even add the buttons in title.txt which can display all my buttons and what they launch.

GRAnimated likes this.
  4. GRAnimated
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    Yep, I never thought of that either until I installed CBHC when I changed the icon!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yeah, you could and I am actually trying to work on that, but then for people that don't have CBHC because of the 'risks' this might suit them too. Maybe I might finish it and post it as another method!

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. MattKimura

MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2014
    United States
    What someone needs to do for this to come into fruition is to create some premade .tga files for background and icon. Then all users have to do is download them.

Also it's best to use the opposite region of games for this purpose, so it doesn't replace your own region of games. Like lets say you have Mario Kart DS USA installed, you should use the EUR version for forwarder purposes instead.

This would work better for CBHC users because it would require CFW to launch illegitimate titles with fake signed tickets.

I'd do this myself, but I dont feel like editing images and figuring out how to convert.

One great example for a forwarder would be RetroLauncher. This homebrew app boots you into a menu where you can choose which RetroArch core you want to use. Keeps Homebrew Launcher clean.

Last edited by MattKimura, Jul 5, 2017
  6. GRAnimated
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add a section in the post where you can download a bunch of pre-made TGA files.

MattKimura likes this.
  7. GRAnimated
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 9, 2017
    United States
    I made a couple of pre-made ones as of now, please give feedback on the first one before I upload the next few.

8. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
  9. september796

september796 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I guess the DS title whether legit or not must be those haxchi compatible, right? you didn't mention it

10. lordelan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Not sure whether you meant me or OP but I guess we both mentioned it in our threads.

11. Nomelas

Nomelas GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    I think all DS VC titles are compatible... I could be wrong though, but haxchi wont install if it's not compatible

oh, also, @GRAnimated here's a guide for getting correct .tga formats:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-create-edit-tga-files-for-haxchi.465027/

• bootDrcTex.tga : needs to be 854x480, uses 24 bits, uncompressed (Tablet Image)
    • bootTvTex.tga : needs to be 1280x720, uses 24 bits, uncompressed (TV Image)
    • iconTex.tga : needs to be 128x128, uses 32 bits, uncompressed (App Image)

You can use the python script MetaVerify.py to verify the correct format for the files: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tgaverifiy-a-tga-verifier.450997/

Last edited by Nomelas, Jul 14, 2017
    CandraSoftware likes this.
  12. lordelan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    It's only* compatible with these:
    https://github.com/FIX94/haxchi/blob/master/installer/src/gameList.h#L14-L102

* but to be honest these could be all DS VC games that exist for the Wii U. I'm too lazy to look that up. :P

But yeah Haxchi won't install as you said so there's no risk. :)

13. Nomelas

Nomelas GBAtemp Regular

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    lordelan likes this.
  14. september796

september796 GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    thx for the clarification. I'm going to forward retro launcher :yayu:

15. RONICSTAR

RONICSTAR Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2004
    I got to be doing something wrong here, I am just getting a question mark. I changed the config to wiiu/apps/retro_launcher/retro_launcher.elf

16. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    i've done this for menu_sorter and ftpu. is there any way to have homebrew apps exit to the home screen instead of the homebrew launcher?