Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
sTo0z said:
I ran the xpa-gtac.bat and it successfully processed a 'xpa-gtac-patched.nds', which is 122,363 KB in size, but when I run it from CycloDS v. 1.54B2 all I get is a black screen with error message

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=140769#

DsLazy

- Open the DSLazy application
- Select your backup ROM of GTA:CW
- Click 'NDS Unpack'
- Open the unpacked files and replace the ARM9.bin file with the one from the patch (it's not necessary to replace the ARM7.bin file)
- Click 'NDS Packer'
- Create your new modified and fixed backup

-another world

ifhtt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For CycloDS Evo you only need replace ARM9.bin. I'm not sure if replacing the ARM7.bin will cause issues, but if that is not the problem try making sure there is no pre-existing (possibly corrupt) GTA:CW .SAV file present on your microSD card. Again, I'm not certain that this is the issue but it's worth a shot to double check.

All that aside, thank you to whomever patched this. It's working fine with my CycloDS. I still think a firmware update will be the optimal solution to the incompatibility, but at least this allows us to play it.

BTW, I am impressed with the game thus far. I really didn't have high hopes for it, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Thanks again.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
AK2+AIO:
Tried the arm7+arm9 replacements, and the xdelta that was posted which should basically be the same (replaces arm7 and patches 2 bytes in arm9) - got holdups and graphics glitches all around compared to my MK5/ncard (especially when moving faster.) All that is really needed to make it work (properly) on AK2 with AIO is to change the two bytes (just like the patch) in the arm9 @ 0x100B3E on a clean dump from
00100B30 1C 26 56 43 13 AA 12 78 00 90 01 91 03 92 11 9A
to
00100B30 1C 26 56 43 13 AA 12 78 00 90 01 91 03 92 32 22
Then use Red DMA mode (the latest 03-11 loader on the aio loaders page requires you to hold X to use the old/red mode instead of the new/green mode.)

Cyclo: Someone should give this a try as well as apparently only the arm9 patch is required (which I detail above, and which ifhtt seems to confirm while I was composing this message.)

No idea why mov 0x32 into R2 makes the diff over loading the value from the stack, but kudos to whomever found the issue - it couldn't have been simple to spot
smile.gif

Yay for Rockstar, they always earn my sparse cash in the first play
yaypsp.gif

edit:/I wonder if the mods here don't realize the full and copyrighted arm7 could be extracted from that xdelta... afaik it's just an archive of diffs and if the arm7 is fully replaced then the full arm7 is in there - kind of like a .rar without a publicly available de-archiver.

TheLonelyGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damaged said:
sTo0z said:
I ran the xpa-gtac.bat and it successfully processed a 'xpa-gtac-patched.nds', which is 122,363 KB in size, but when I run it from CycloDS v. 1.54B2 all I get is a black screen with error message:

"The save data could not be accessed. Please turn the power off and reinsert the DS Card."

frown.gif
Odd other CycloDS people have gotten it to work... Can't figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong here...

Having the exact same problem.

Same problem like i listed above. I think maybe it's the fact that we are running 1.52b2.

I looked on the gba temp downloads and b3 is avalible so i'm going to try that.

If anyone could link to b4 that would be amazing, since like i said team cyclo's website is down. Blargh.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
How to ARM9 patching so it works on EDGE/CycloDS Evolution (and some other)

- Download patch *REMOVED
- Place in a directory (lets call it "c:\gtactw")
- Copy your original scene release file in "c:\gtactw"
- Unpack "Grand_Theft_Auto_Chinatown_Wars_USA_SAVEFIX_V2_NDS-iND.zip" in "c:\gtactw"
- Start "xpa-gtac.bat"
- A new file will be generated, called "xpa-gtac-patched.nds"
- Get DSLazy (Download here)
- Unpack in "c:\gtactw"
- Start DSLazy
- Load your patched rom (xpa-gtac-patched.nds) in DSLazy
- Click NDS Unpack icon
- Copy the ARM9.bin file from the NDS_UNPACK directory to a seperate directory (lets call it c:\arm9_backup)
- Delete your NDS_UNPACK directory and current.nds
- Load original non patched GTA rom in DSLazy
- Click NDS Unpack icon
- replace your ARM9.bin from the NDS_UNPACK directory with the ARM9 from c:\arm9_backup (Overwrite original arm9.bin)
- Click on the NDS Packer icon in DSLazy
- Give a good name to it
- Copy this patched rom to your EDGE / CycloDs Evolution or R6 Xtreme, or any other card not working with Grand_Theft_Auto_Chinatown_Wars_USA_SAVEFIX_V2_NDS-iND.zip
- Done

- (Tested myself on EDGE / CycloDs Evolution and the R6 Xtreme 64G)

TheLonelyGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked and cyclo 1.52b3 doesn't work either.

I know in b4 they added an auto patcher so that might be what's making it work, but what do i know. Like i said if anyone has a copy of 1.54b4 to link to that would be fantastic.

sTo0z

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
None of the front page stuff worked for me.

I did manage to find a ARM9 file through google... I ran it through the DSLazy steps and now have a working game.

So it's definitely possible on CycloDS 1.54B2.

Good luck other Cyclo users.
smile.gif

lurked

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
BiGbEn013 said:
????
how do you get the arm9 patched???
I dont have a file to replace it, only arm7 file...
i am guessing that all the links were removed...
any idea where to get one?
yaynds.gif
on the front page o.o
you can use delta...much easier for newbies.
wifi doesnt matter because gta chinatown wars only allows chatting and those sorts

TheLonelyGod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sTo0z said:
None of the front page stuff worked for me.

I did manage to find a ARM9 file through google... I ran it through the DSLazy steps and now have a working game.

So it's definitely possible on CycloDS 1.54B2.

Good luck other Cyclo users.
smile.gif

I'm using the xdelta patch. I've never used ds lazy before and frankly the though of unpacking a rom scares me.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
BiGbEn013 said:
da_head said:
on the front page o.o
if you look mod has REMOVED the links...
if you look again, you'll find that the links are still indeed there. are you referring to the arm7/9 ones, or the patches themselves? just use the patches, its a lot easier, and u don't even need dslazy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1