Hardware Graphically, how well does the Nintendo Switch par up to the PS3

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it run in 30 FPS in 720P mode? I was curious if not using 1080P would help performance.

I don't know, I haven't tried it out, I've yet to try out multiplayer. Suffice to say, it still does run at "60 fps" as you can tell by the HUD running, but the frames alternate.

x86 is teeny tiny baby compared to the giant hulking monster that is the CELL. the CELL is so powerful we can't even take advantage of it. its like ancient alien technology that boggles the minds of even the gods. the power of the CELL is unrivaled.

It's also an absolute nightmare to program for.

D

Deleted User

Breath of the wild lags on the wiiu and the wiiu serpassed the ps3 and Xbox 360 last gen.So the switch pretty much outperforms the ps3 obviously.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think one of the better comparisons of a Switch game compared to a PS3 game would be Dragon Quest Heroes in which the Switch version runs at the same framerate (30FPS) but at a higher resolution (1080P) and compares more closely to the PS4 in level of detail assets, this is in docked mode of course.
Didn't the switch version has horrible frame drops on the overworld plus on battles? :rofl:

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't the switch version has horrible frame drops on the overworld plus on battles? :rofl:

It does actually, the Switch & PS3 get around 30 - 16 FPS depending how much is on screen. But the game is still do-able to play, in comparison to a PS4 that has more CPU power (I think.)

Vita suffers the worst from the game along with 3DS (if its even on there idk.)

At this point idek whats going on in the thread, but reguardless thanks for the answers :)

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does actually, the Switch & PS3 get around 30 - 16 FPS depending how much is on screen. But the game is still do-able to play, in comparison to a PS4 that has more CPU power (I think.)

Vita suffers the worst from the game along with 3DS (if its even on there idk.)

At this point idek whats going on in the thread, but reguardless thanks for the answers :)
The vita version actually has a better frame rate on some battles compared to the switch one :P

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wat? Impossible, the Switch was all about the pow-pow-pow-POWA! Now we have nothing on that system :(

Oh well, I better get a Vita :P
Just looks at the graphic quality of both ant it comes obvious.
The Vita version looks like a 3DS game, while the Switch version looks akin to the PS4 version.
For my taste their decision was stupid, they should have gone for FPS instead of graphic fidelity in the Switch version, it may look somewhat nice but fluidity would have been way better when you think of how it plays.

Switch/Vita/PS4 comparison:

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Xabring

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is better but not much. The Wii-U already had better textures, better graphics and better performance in games and ports that were written for it. The GPU of Wii-U and Switch is much more modern and easier to program but the Wii-U CPU was slightly slower than the PS3. The very weak ARM CPU of the switch is also considered to be slightly slower than the PS3.

Last edited by Enteking,

TheDarkGreninja

Listening to a song ad nauseam
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The chip inside the Switch exceeds the PS3 and Xbox 360 with ease, seeing as how it already handles games better than the Wii U, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Vita version looks like a 3DS game, while the Switch version looks akin to the PS4 version.
For my taste their decision was stupid, they should have gone for FPS instead of graphic fidelity in the Switch version, it may look somewhat nice but fluidity would have been way better when you think of how it plays.
Apparently (Not my words) Aunoma thinks 30fps is more "cinematic"

Reactions: Xabring

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh I was joking about that, but yeah I can agree with you for the most part.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
The Switch would piss all over a PS3, standard! A PS3 would never run Mario Odyseey and I doubt very much it would run Zelda properly. Have you looked at Mario Odyseey screen shots a PS3 would never touch this!:
NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_01_mediaplayer_large.jpg

NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_07_mediaplayer_large.jpg

What a stupid thread!!!

Edit: guys don't get into any arguments or carry on with this thread, this guy is just trolling for fun so don't waste your time! ;)

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: PkPizza
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Wii U's Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water looked amazing and if I were to compare to a PS3 game, it would be one of the Uncharted's. Possibly the first which felt like a tech-demo that showed the graphical capabilities of the system.

So far on the Switch it's hard to tell how good it looks graphically but seems like a somewhat small bump from the Wii U to the Switch. Mario Odyssey will clear it up. :)

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Switch/Vita/PS4 comparison:

Wow, that feels unplayable.
I'd rather go with the Vita version even.

The Switch would piss all over a PS3, standard! A PS3 would never run Mario Odyseey and I doubt very much it would run Zelda properly. Have you looked at Mario Odyseey screen shots a PS3 would never touch this!:
NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_01_mediaplayer_large.jpg

NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey_07_mediaplayer_large.jpg

What a stupid thread!!!

Butthurt fanboy is butthurt.
Pretty sure there are PS3 games that look better than that.
( BF4, GTA V, etc )

Reactions: Deleted User

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Me too, FPS are more important than graphical fidelity, specially when it starts dipping below 30FPS.

I know that very well.
Been gaming on inferior hardware for almost all my life ( Had a decent gaming PC one time but the gfx card stopped working and I was stuck to the onboard card ).

I'd rather play something in 480p60fps than at 720p30fps.
I really wish consoles had more in-depth graphics settings :/

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, that feels unplayable.
I'd rather go with the Vita version even.

Butthurt fanboy is butthurt.
Pretty sure there are PS3 games that look better than that.
( BF4, GTA V, etc )
I'm not "butthurt", its "common sense" this guys just trolling the thread just for this sort of reason so we can argue. Save your breath.. Nintendo are hardly going to release a 9th Generation console that is either as powerful or not as powerful as a PS3.

Last edited by Reecey,

mizorechan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've only ever played Breath of the Wild on it and I've mostly used my PS3 for Tales games, so I don't have the best grasp of either system's abilities, but I'd say they're fairly comparable. I'd say if you're used to PS3-grade graphics, you'll feel no resistance when moving to the Switch.

Not a good comparison since most of modern Tales of looks like PS2 games in HD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYaFp_WnSP8