Graphically, how well does the Nintendo Switch par up to the PS3

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by petethepug, May 13, 2017.

1. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    As lame as it sounds, I don't think its a necessity to have games with a crazy amount of shaders or textures, I have played a lot of Minecraft on the PC when I didn't have any next generation consoles (PS4, Xbox, Wii U.) Anything as far as Gamecube Graphics - PS3 (Or maxed out if I didn't have a budget for gaming :P) I am fine with.

I looked at a comparison to PS3 - Nintendo Switch game (I forgot the title) on Youtube, and I didn't really notice much, can anyone compare the two systems?

Edit: Added poll https://gbatemp.net/threads/poll-to-my-other-thread-on-the-forums.470940/

Last edited by petethepug, May 18, 2017
    CatmanFan and THEELEMENTKH like this.

2. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I've only ever played Breath of the Wild on it and I've mostly used my PS3 for Tales games, so I don't have the best grasp of either system's abilities, but I'd say they're fairly comparable. I'd say if you're used to PS3-grade graphics, you'll feel no resistance when moving to the Switch.

3. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    We'll get some good comparison shots when/if Dark Souls is released on Switch. In theory Switch is roughly 1.7x as powerful as PS3.

Last edited by Xzi, May 14, 2017
    ogioto, nxwing, CatmanFan and 2 others like this.
  4. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I think one of the better comparisons of a Switch game compared to a PS3 game would be Dragon Quest Heroes in which the Switch version runs at the same framerate (30FPS) but at a higher resolution (1080P) and compares more closely to the PS4 in level of detail assets, this is in docked mode of course.

5. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Let's just say that getting something like FRN on PS3 would require various downgrades and/or removal of effects from Wii U, and that was running at 640x720 @ 60fps with frame drops. On Switch, Fast RMX goes upwards of 1920x1080 (1280x720 undocked) @ 60fps (though Shin'en states that a flaw in the firmware is causing a drain on resources, preventing the game from maintaining those resolutions and dropping it)

6. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Funny how people compared Switch with PS4 at start, now they jumped 10 years in the past and do it with PS3 instead :lol:

7. petethepug
    OP

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Ikr, its like they wanted to compare a full on triple A title to something like Minecraft for the Switch. >_>

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are great on the PS4, but I looked at an MLB & God of War game for a brief moment. The textures & resolution make the game look ridiculous if its not well utilized on the system and everything turns out all plasticy :(

I don't know what FRN is (sorry.)

If the Switch FW is an issue though (firmware?) I think it can be fixed later in the future with a newer performance patch (if needed) or some newer optimizations to the system (like, a better CPU processor & dock.)

But yeah I can see your point, the Wii U & Switch both over exceed in the PS3's graphics (I think :P.)

8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    PS3 = 1080P
    NS = 900P

And that only applies to games that actually do use use those display options. Though we do have to note that Switch is using Nvidia which technically they said the Tegra X1 exceeds ps3 and xbox 360. Is a matter of opinion, so is subjective. if you talking about facts and statistics, then there you go. :P

guisadop likes this.
  9. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    Simply not true. NS outputs at 1080p60, just like the PS3. Breath of the Wild runs at 900p, but it's not a systemwide limit. Just as most PS3 games run at 720p, but it doesn't mean the console itself can't output 1080p.

ogioto, PkPizza, Pluupy and 8 others like this.
  10. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    From what I've experienced the Switch could either pull graphics similar to PS3 with way higher FPS count, or graphics comparable to XB1/PS4 with terrible FPS count.

PS: To all those persons telling fairy tales about 1080p and the PS3 performance, did you even use a PS3, do you remember the graphic and FPS output of say Bayonetta or Mass Effect 3 on the PS3? People forget reality?

Last edited by sarkwalvein, May 14, 2017
    sfn27, Xabring and DarthDub like this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    :ninja:

12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Not sure where you got that info from, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe runs at 1080p 60 *shrug* Undocked it runs at 720p 60.

13. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Output resolution and rendering resolution are completely different things. Most PS3 games have textures rendered at 1280x720 or less (Except some games like Gran Tourismo 5: Prologue where they are rendered at 1280x1080). There are thing such as resolution scaling and AA to throw into the mix as well. Funny little tidbit is that the PS3 Cell CPU is actually more powerful than the PS4's CPU but due to architectures the PS4 is definitely more capable. Not one PS4 games renders at 720p or less afaik while quite a few Xbox One games do. I'm assuming most Nintendo Switch games will be crippled with 30fps unless its rendered at 720p then it can make the jump to 60fps with the drop of pixels.

14. Dork

Dork Newbie

nothing will ever beat the awesome power of the CELL

fatsquirrel and petethepug like this.
  15. Shady Guy Jose

Shady Guy Jose GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2008
    Portugal
    Not really. What you self-quoted implied that that was the maximum resolution for each platform, and some games didn't even get that far. Well, 900p is not the maximum for the Switch, which was the point of my post.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    :lol: Post of the day for me! Could've only been better if you'd said:

PS3 = has a 3 in the title
    Switch = doesn't have a 3
    Therefore PS3 = 3x more powerful..

A good example would be Doom 3 BFG Edition running on Shield (Tegra X1 powered like Switch) big release, struggled at 720p on PS3/360, 1080p and 60fps no problems on Shield...

PkPizza, nxwing, duwen and 2 others like this.
  17. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Except for maybe a less complicated architecture "cough x86 cough"

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Yeah, until you play with 3 or 4 player then is 30FPS :P

19. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's still 1080p lol. The frames alternate top and bottom on the screen, the HUD still runs at 60 FPS. The PS3 can't even run Tales of Symphonia at 60 fps :lol:

Lucifer666 likes this.
  20. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Does it run in 30 FPS in 720P mode? I was curious if not using 1080P would help performance.