GPSaveConverter app converts Xbox Game Pass saves into PC format and viceversa

159533555-dbc49599-7620-4774-bd78-501e997ac22c.png

Xbox's Game Pass has been a good option to enjoy even the most current AAA games, as well as some other classics, like the recent addition of the classic Call of Duty titles into the service, which saw a surge in new players online, also due to the servers getting some fixes to allow for matches yet again.

Aside from exclusives and classic titles, Game Pass also offers newly released titles into the service, and a variety of them are multiplatform games, some of which are available in other storefronts like Steam, GOG or others, and while some do their gaming solely on one system or the other, there's always users that like to switch up where they play, either for convenience's sake or necessity. But rarely do service devs offer the option to backup saves, and even more rarely to allow for cross-play options that carry over saves between systems.

This is where developer Fr33dan took action and jumped in with an application to help with that scenario. "Game Pass Save Converter" (or GPSaveConverter) is an application that allows converting save files from Game Pass into versions of the game purchased through other storefronts, and not only does it allowing for carrying over save files from Game Pass into other storefront versions of the same game, but it also allows doing it the other way around, making it possible to transfer saves from the storefront of choice, to Game Pass. Additionally, the converter also allows for player profiles, if the storefront does have multiple, so the application will show the game profiles for conversion as well.

As with anything involving modification of files or data, be sure that if you're going to do a save transfer between systems, to always back them up in case something odd might happen in the process of conversion.

Game Pass Converter description said:
PC Gamepass Save File Converter

Games available through PC Game Pass or purchased via the Xbox app keep their save files in an arbitrary file structure. This means if you purchase a game on another storefront moving your save files to or from the Xbox version is extremely difficult. This software aims to make that process easy.

Finds games by listing any Microsoft Store package with a wgs folder (believed to stand for "Windows Game Save"). This means some non-game applications may be shown

There is an extremely small (as of now at least) game library that contains the locations of non-Xbox save files. Some other game storefronts/save systems support multiple profiles, if this is the case with your game profiles will be shown by the file name identifying them. If your game is not found in this library you will be prompted to select the location manually when a package is selected.

It is strongly recommended you back up both save file folders before using this application.​

:arrow: GPSaveConverter GitHub Repository

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are peole really expecting Microsoft to offer this (sorry, the sarcas6may have went straight over my head).

I personally expect Microsoft to do all they can to block this. Fantastic app though and looking forward to using it.
The arbitrary format is not an accident, Microsoft aims to make games that are available on both Xbox and Windows compliant with their Play Anywhere program, and that requires a bridge between the two platforms.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

It’s a necessary evil to ensure compatibility and, to an extent, cheating. I wonder if this tool could be used to inject modded save files back into the Gamepass ecosystem, and what ramifications that would have. Interesting release, well done.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F'ing finally! With today's technology i don't see why (or why not?) you can't transfer & use your save (or is it progress?) anywhere, on all platforms (specially between pc, Xbox systems, and ps4/ps5), as it's certainly possible..
Saves would be stored somewhere like on the devs/publisher's servers, to download your save on another system you just have to log in to your email account that was used to transfer the save (and play the game), that's it.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really like the idea of subscription-based gaming. It seems too much like you're allowing the company control over your game library instead of actually owning the games you're playing. IMHO, there shouldn't have ever been the need for a tool like this, but I'm glad it exists.

We need to fight the system; show companies that they're not the bosses of us. We're the bosses. Our money goes to them. If we wanted to make a company fail, we can all stop buying from them... and that's a part of capitalism. :teach:

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The arbitrary format is not an accident, Microsoft aims to make games that are available on both Xbox and Windows compliant with their Play Anywhere program, and that requires a bridge between the two platforms.

It’s a necessary evil to ensure compatibility and, to an extent, cheating. I wonder if this tool could be used to inject modded save files back into the Gamepass ecosystem, and what ramifications that would have. Interesting release, well done.

Yeah I'm worried MS may move to block this method for this exact reason.

Myself, I'd just be happy to pull saves out of gamepass and put into some store I actually want to buy things from.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I cynically expect Microsoft to try to block use or ban users, simply due to control.

Your second paragraph is the reason I feel they will come down hard.
Post automatically merged:

If M$ was consumer-friendly they'd have made Windows 11 differently than what it is today.

Corporations are not our friends.

This was my point

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If M$ was consumer-friendly they'd have made Windows 11 differently than what it is today.
Windows 11 was just a retooled Windows 10X that Microsoft realized they'd spent a load of time developing and nobody wanted the hardware it was designed for.

They have to move forward and they have to make money, that is as consumer friendly as any company is.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Windows 11 was just a retooled Windows 10X that Microsoft realized they'd spent a load of time developing and nobody wanted the hardware it was designed for.

They have to move forward and they have to make money, that is as consumer friendly as any company is.

Windows 11 made my Windows XP-era laptop run faster than it did on 10. Granted, I had to bypass TPM, but their focus on making the OS more compatible for mobile has had a desirable side effect.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't really like the idea of subscription-based gaming. It seems too much like you're allowing the company control over your game library instead of actually owning the games you're playing.
In practice retail games aren't that different nowadays, they have had full control over what you can do with them for quite some time, pretty much like any game bought digitally.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I thought this was for Cloud Service and got excited.

But yeah, makes no sense a third party app could access saves in Xbox Cloud games. Silly me.

Fr33dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh hey, just stumbled on this, thanks for the coverage. The GitHub issues are filled with people who don't have quite enough technical know-how to use it so it's good to know it has found a user base who can get some use out of it. I wish I had time to work on it. I've got ideas for improvements to make it easier but I just don't have time to implement them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...