GPSaveConverter app converts Xbox Game Pass saves into PC format and viceversa

159533555-dbc49599-7620-4774-bd78-501e997ac22c.png

Xbox's Game Pass has been a good option to enjoy even the most current AAA games, as well as some other classics, like the recent addition of the classic Call of Duty titles into the service, which saw a surge in new players online, also due to the servers getting some fixes to allow for matches yet again.

Aside from exclusives and classic titles, Game Pass also offers newly released titles into the service, and a variety of them are multiplatform games, some of which are available in other storefronts like Steam, GOG or others, and while some do their gaming solely on one system or the other, there's always users that like to switch up where they play, either for convenience's sake or necessity. But rarely do service devs offer the option to backup saves, and even more rarely to allow for cross-play options that carry over saves between systems.

This is where developer Fr33dan took action and jumped in with an application to help with that scenario. "Game Pass Save Converter" (or GPSaveConverter) is an application that allows converting save files from Game Pass into versions of the game purchased through other storefronts, and not only does it allowing for carrying over save files from Game Pass into other storefront versions of the same game, but it also allows doing it the other way around, making it possible to transfer saves from the storefront of choice, to Game Pass. Additionally, the converter also allows for player profiles, if the storefront does have multiple, so the application will show the game profiles for conversion as well.

As with anything involving modification of files or data, be sure that if you're going to do a save transfer between systems, to always back them up in case something odd might happen in the process of conversion.

Game Pass Converter description said:
PC Gamepass Save File Converter

Games available through PC Game Pass or purchased via the Xbox app keep their save files in an arbitrary file structure. This means if you purchase a game on another storefront moving your save files to or from the Xbox version is extremely difficult. This software aims to make that process easy.

Finds games by listing any Microsoft Store package with a wgs folder (believed to stand for "Windows Game Save"). This means some non-game applications may be shown

There is an extremely small (as of now at least) game library that contains the locations of non-Xbox save files. Some other game storefronts/save systems support multiple profiles, if this is the case with your game profiles will be shown by the file name identifying them. If your game is not found in this library you will be prompted to select the location manually when a package is selected.

It is strongly recommended you back up both save file folders before using this application.​

:arrow: GPSaveConverter GitHub Repository

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
They'll probably ban it as they develop "their own" solution. M$ isn't innovative. They just buy it, or cancel/copy it.

This was a necessary step. I'm looking forward to official support coming soon, now.
It's opensource, on their own website. They could borrow the code!

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are peole really expecting Microsoft to offer this (sorry, the sarcas6may have went straight over my head).

I personally expect Microsoft to do all they can to block this. Fantastic app though and looking forward to using it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are peole really expecting Microsoft to offer this (sorry, the sarcas6may have went straight over my head).

I personally expect Microsoft to do all they can to block this. Fantastic app though and looking forward to using it.
If M$ was consumer-friendly they'd have made Windows 11 differently than what it is today.

Corporations are not our friends.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm not interested in Game Pass but love it. I wish devs implemented cross saves among platforms. I'd even be tempted in re-buying a game or another. Example: if FF XVI had cross saves, I'd probably buy it now and then again on the PC. If a lot of games I play that have mobile versions had cross saves I'd probably buy a few on mobile and continue my progress on the go.

If M$ was consumer-friendly they'd have made Windows 11 differently than what it is today.

Corporations are not our friends.

I mean, it's a scale. They certainly are the most consumer firendly among themselves, Sony and Nintendo. I can buy many of their games and play both on the PC and Xbox without paying again for them. For a fee I can buy some homebrew freedom on their consoles. They are still giving support for games of their first gen console to be played on latest hardware with improvements. They are inclusivelly giving support to delisted games and third party games.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fucking hell I wish I had that before but I'm so glad it exists. That will definitely be useful

EDIT : From what I see it's for games that can't be saved outside of the wgs file structure like Sea of Thieves. But I think most games can be installed like regular games I believe. It's not the use I thought it would have but still a very cool program to have. Still not able to transfer my save from Art of Rally tho :(

Last edited by LightBeam,
Reactions: pustal

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
not surpsing since the xbox is just a console PC :P
Good point. The Original Xbox for example is a straight up custom x86 computer with all the necessary components onto one board.

Reactions: eternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye