Hacking Got wii out after several years

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So over the past several months I’ve been digging out my older consoles, got a ps1 modded with xstation & the gc with the gc loader(plus also grabbed a gba player & wave bird controller as I never got those originally.

Got the wii connected up the other day, it prompted me to update the hbc when I opened the hbc back up channel not the hbc itself. What else do I need to update?
I originally hacked it back in 2010 & last used it in 2014 once I got the wii u so put it away, I want to have the full English wii game set so what size hdd/ssd do I need & what is recommend(the compatible list is a bit out of date). As it’s a pal system(I’m in the uk) how do I play the ntsc-u games? Back in the day I was using a wd my book 320gb desktop drive, had it partitioned to have a small fat32 for the homebrew & the rest for the wii games.

Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Use modmii, link in my signature. Just use the main wizard as if the console was a virgin, even if it isn't. It is safe to repeat steps.

These days you can use just 1 FAT32 partition for both homebrew and wii games. Other region games work just fine within usb-loaders, if playing via the disc channel you'll need to enable a priiloader system menu hack for that. This is covered in Modmii though.

Just a bit more about modmii, it will interview you on some really easy/basic things, like the region and system menu version of your console, then generate a custom guide for you to follow based on your answers.

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

For information:

For the external hard drive, it all depends on how many games you want to put on it.
get a maximum of 2 TB for the HDD with wii.

if you opt for an HDD larger than 2 TB, have a look on this page for a guide (@ca032769 ) ==> https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-1129#post-6662953

thanks for the reply but doesn’t fully answer what I asked

p.s need a tldr version of that guide in that link, seems too long and convoluted.

Last edited by fowler002,

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So over the past several months I’ve been digging out my older consoles, got a ps1 modded with xstation & the gc with the gc loader(plus also grabbed a gba player & wave bird controller as I never got those originally.

Got the wii connected up the other day, it prompted me to update the hbc when I opened the hbc back up channel not the hbc itself. What else do I need to update?
I originally hacked it back in 2010 & last used it in 2014 once I got the wii u so put it away, I want to have the full English wii game set so what size hdd/ssd do I need & what is recommend(the compatible list is a bit out of date). As it’s a pal system(I’m in the uk) how do I play the ntsc-u games? Back in the day I was using a wd my book 320gb desktop drive, had it partitioned to have a small fat32 for the homebrew & the rest for the wii games.

As long as you have the Wii set to region free in Priiloader you should be able to play the NTSC-U games.

My preference and what I currently use is a WD 5TB P-10 Game Drive. To have all the NTSC-U games I recommend a 5TB HDD. A 5TB will give you all the different versions of games available, plus a few that are not available as NTSC-U (i.e. PAL), plus a few foreign titles (i.e. JAP), and all the GameCube's NTSC-U (plus the PAL & JAP not available as U) if you also wanted them. There is even a little leftover room for future additions should something come up. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNTFHD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could get away with a 4TB, remember a 4TB HDD will actually only give you about 3.6TB of usable space. To fit them all onto a 4TB you would keep only one version of each game. I had done it before and I sacrificed the dancing and singing games to make a 4TB work, hate those games anyways. So if you're willing to sacrifice certain games or a good part of the dancing and singing games go with a 4TB. For a 4TB get a WD Passport.

2021-05-04 (2).png 2021-05-04 (3).png 2021-05-04 (4).png

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as you have the Wii set to region free in Priiloader you should be able to play the NTSC-U games.

My preference and what I currently use is a WD 5TB P-10 Game Drive. To have all the NTSC-U games I recommend a 5TB HDD. A 5TB will give you all the different versions of games available, plus a few that are not available as NTSC-U (i.e. PAL), plus a few foreign titles (i.e. JAP), and all the GameCube's NTSC-U (plus the PAL & JAP not available as U) if you also wanted them. There is even a little leftover room for future additions should something come up. Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VNTFHD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could get away with a 4TB, remember a 4TB HDD will actually only give you about 3.6TB of usable space. To fit them all onto a 4TB you would keep only one version of each game. I had done it before and I sacrificed the dancing and singing games to make a 4TB work, hate those games anyways. So if you're willing to sacrifice certain games or a good part of the dancing and singing games go with a 4TB. For a 4TB get a WD Passport.

View attachment 261495 View attachment 261496 View attachment 261497

thanks for the reply, what the easiest way to set up the drive to play the games? I read your post the guy above you linked to but as I said it’s quite long & convoluted & hard to understand, are you able to break it down?
I have the 5tb version of the wd passport, wishing I’d bought another one back in January last year as they were like £40(~$55) cheaper back then.

Reactions: jeannotte

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply, what the easiest way to set up the drive to play the games? I read your post the guy above you linked to but as I said it’s quite long & convoluted & hard to understand, are you able to break it down?
I have the 5tb version of the wd passport, wishing I’d bought another one back in January last year as they were like £40(~$55) cheaper back then.

Sure, I'll edit it down for you and post it up once finished.

Reactions: XFlak and jeannotte

fowler002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sure, I'll edit it down for you and post it up once finished.

well I just tried formatting my 5tb my passport, didn't allow me to format to fat32 straight off the bat. in wd quick formatter it gave me the option for xp compatible and most compatible(vista and later, initially chose the most compatible option but again fat32gui format was a no go but worked after the xp compatible option was chosen.
I'm going to transfer the games I ripped years ago to test the hdd works on the wii, will I need a y cable? well i'll have my answer myself soon enough.

edit:it worked without a y cable, just need to figure out how to get cover art in USB loader gx(able to in wii flow & configurable USB loader).

Last edited by fowler002,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated