got a new case and broke the power switch

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by gary2010, Mar 31, 2010.

Mar 31, 2010
  1. gary2010
    OP

Member gary2010 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    right well i orderd a new case and got it today so i put it all on right taking it easy with the ribbon cables i got the top half and bottom together then held the battry and the screens worked perfectly so i put it all together and got right up to the last part and must not of lined the power button up properly so lol my ds is brokeing iv jamed pins in tried melting them in were it snaped the power stitch on the circuit board now it wont even turn on when i plug the charger in the orange light comes on for a second any one no how to fix this i dont have a clue my ds looks like new but wont work lol help

2. gary2010
    OP

United States
    well iv been trying to bridge the connection on the f1 and f2 fuse when i put abit of tin foil over the f2 fuse the orange light stays on all the time with the charger in but as soon as i take the tin foil of it does 1 flash orange then goes out im tryin 2 get a soldering iron to bridge the f1 and f2 connection to see what that does any one have any over ideas all iv done it nove a pin about in the power switch housing iv got the switch out now ready for my new 1 iv just open the housing and took out the inside switch and il just replace it with the inside from the new one

3. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    i got a headcache for reading your post. lol , anyway probably fuse blown, for power switch you can buy a replacement too, but need a little soldering skill...

4. gary2010
    OP

United States
    when i get soldering iron i will have a go with the fuses to see if its them i think im just goin to replace the switch part of the power switch like the inside piece so i wont need to solder well thats what i have planned lol never seems to go to plan haha

5. Prime_Zero

Member Prime_Zero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Omg that poor Ds, be happy they can't talk back or it would be screaming in pain and the tin foil thing was a bad idea. [​IMG]
    When I changed shells on mine I watched video's on you tube and read forums, I hope you did to but if you didn't you might want to.
    But at this point might not matter the only thing you should do is remove the damaged part..or parts and replace them like your trying to now.
    Also you should really really watch some guides on how to solder or you could damage your poor lil Ds more.

And to your Ds...
    Hang in there lil guy you'll make it....

6. gary2010
    OP

United States
    i watched loads of videos everyone said watch out for the ribbon cable i took extra care of that and it worked until i snaped the pwer switch and started sticking pins in to it lol it might work again it cant be much wrong with it i hope

7. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    gary2010:
    learn how to use punctuation and proper grammar. it can be your friend if you want the others here to be able to understand what it you're trying to convey. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

as prime_zero has stated, the use of tin foil is a very, very bad idea. chances are you've also shorted something else on the motherboard which may have rendered it unrepairable. those fuses are put in for a reason. F1 stops excessive flow from the ac adapter port to the battery and F2 stops excessive current from reaching sensitive components on the motherboard.

8. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Does anyone ship replacement fuses overseas?

9. thieves like us

United States
  10. gary2010
    OP

United States
    well when i get hold of a soldering iron il be putting a blob of solder over the f1 and f2 to see what happens. when i held the piece of tin foil over f2 fuse the ornage light stayed on with the charger in with out the tin foil i just get a orange blink when i put the charger in. and my friend says he has 3 broken ds so im goin to ask him for a motherboard if it doesnt work guess il be stuck with my dsi but i liked my ds lite better [​IMG] thanks for the help every one il let yous know how its getting on when i get the soldering iron

11. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    *cringes at randomly shorting things with aluminium foil*

I do feel your pain though, it is always something small and stupid that no one warns you about that you end up missing and breaking. A tip for the future, when disassembling or assembling electronics, you should never need to use force (with the exception of hinge pins).

I don't think you can solder them by hand, the heat will blow them...

12. gary2010
    OP

United States
    yeah if i try it again il be extra careful geting the power switch right it is more complicated then rolling the ribbon cable up to get through the washer i hope its just the fuses poped and needs a new power switch it would be nice

13. thieves like us

United States
    no, the heat won't blow them. I've changed out a few without any issues. (of course, I'm also using a 1000usd weller re-work station with soldering tweezers that make the job that much easier.

14. gary2010
    OP

United States
    well iv just been thinking about my ds. so it was working before i started melting pins and putin them in the pwer switch, so i opened up the switch and theres a spring and if the spring or pin were touching the metal contacts on the board iv obviously blew up something on the board? because i was trying to turn it on with the pin stuck in the switch. maybe its the fuses iv orderd a new switch and im just goin to open the switch up and put the inside of the new one in the old 1. iv seen on youtube some guy using like a paint pen circuit writer would this work instead of using a soldering iron iv never really solderd before...but my ds was definatly working before i stuck things in the switch i tried it while holding the battery on the contacts like was on youtube then when i was just about finished i broke the switch [​IMG]