Google+ will shut down earlier than announced due to another API bug and possible data leak

index.png

It looks like the ill-fated social network by Google simply can't catch a breath. After they announced its closure in October due to a security breach, being reportedly patched in March but only publicly acknowledged months later, another bug in Google+'s API was found which could lead to a second data leak, exposing private user information to anyone with the right tools and know-how. The issue was fixed within a week of it being found and users were alerted via a blog post, which also states that no third party has taken advantage of it, while there currently is no evidence of app developers gaining access to data they weren't allowed to see:
We’ve recently determined that some users were impacted by a software update introduced in November that contained a bug affecting a Google+ API. We discovered this bug as part of our standard and ongoing testing procedures and fixed it within a week of it being introduced. No third party compromised our systems, and we have no evidence that the app developers that inadvertently had this access for six days were aware of it or misused it in any way.
This discovery has also prompted Google to shut down the affected API in 90 days from now and Google+ for consumers four months earlier than expected, that is in April 2019 instead of August of the same year.
With the discovery of this new bug, we have decided to expedite the shut-down of all Google+ APIs; this will occur within the next 90 days. In addition, we have also decided to accelerate the sunsetting of consumer Google+ from August 2019 to April 2019.

:arrow: Source

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I only used it a handful of times. Shortly after that, everyone I knew at the time just forgot it was a thing and stopped using it for good. I wouldn't be surprised if another bug was found before the new end date arrives.

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank God I never signed up for google +...Did anyone even really use it?
Aside from a few dedicated communities, well, not many did. Breaches like this however are still pretty serious due to, you guessed it, Google trying to force Plus however they could (also remember when they've tried to make people use their real names?)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank God I never signed up for google +...Did anyone even really use it?
Yes, the groups are pretty well done, and suprisingly popular for the most unsurprising subjects (computers and phones; especially android roms)

(fun fact: I never was banned for any time from Miiverse despite some rather egregious posts, but people getting reported on G+ yaoi groups were the norm)

Of course, with the forced integration at various times of YT, Picasa and Google Play betas, I bet a truckload of people "accidentally" used it ;)

Thunder Hawk

Firefox Master Race
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"With the discovery of this new bug, we have decided to expedite the shut-down of all Google+ APIs; this will occur within the next 90 days. In addition, we have also decided to accelerate the sunsetting of consumer Google+ from August 2019 to April 2019."

Can someone find more API bugs so it can shut-down faster?

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes I wish we could go back 10 years were the internet was still useful,but not to the extent that your whole life information was just waiting to get hacked away. Not a fan of the current technological climate.
Pretty much. Mid 2000s was the sweet spot for the internet. Before all the social media BS.

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have never used google plus and it seems a lot of people didnt use it either haha. I recall it being forced on you via youtube but thats the only time i ever paid attention to it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

does that mean our gmail account wont be linked to our youtube account anymore?
You know i have been wondering that to and i hope that is the case.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsG-jJcrlr0