Google Stadia launches today to mixed reception over input lag

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Nov 19, 2019.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    All potentially reasonable objections for various use cases, and presumably your own too, but not dealbreakers for everybody which I presume is what google is aiming to go with or ride out elsewhere, and speak little to the technical woes that started this quote chain.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    It's just, like, on paper, it's a good concept, but poorly executed on their part.

Didn't deliver on promised features, such as game sharing, achievements, requiring one to have a Pixel phone, the list goes on.
    Like I said before, if it was paying for the monthly service, instead of full price on games people have played before (And games you can get cheaper elsewhere) I wouldn't be objected to this, you know?
    It feels half-baked and like an alpha more than a beta if anything.

If they had more time to prep this, fix the glaring missing features, and added more games on launch, maybe it wouldn't be so panned. Am I wrong for wanting a more developed product at launch instead of something that feels like a product EA worked on? *sigh* If this is how cloud gaming is going to be like, I want no part of it unless they can offer more features and more games at launch. Just my two cents. And since my ISP is stupid and has a 1 TB cap (*I can pay for unlimited data, but that's even more money) 1080 and 4K streams will add up very quickly.

With Netflix, the data is buffered in advance, and doesn't consistently stream once a movie or show is loaded, it's mostly loaded into memory at that point. With streaming games, that doesn't buffer and is streamed in realtime, using more bandwidth, usually. I just, I'm skeptical, I'm sorry I don't share the same point of view as you, maybe I'm just negative, and I don't know what to say that I haven't already said with my grievances. I'm just too skeptical, and the whole "negative input lag" is a BS claim. *sigh*

3. GbaNober

GbaNober Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 8, 2016
    did they test it globally or selective?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom

On paper it is not a good concept. Latency will tank it for truly remote stuff outside of say 2 hops of the router.

Game sharing (whatever that means here), trophments (though I am not complaining about that awful concept not appearing here) and entry requirements are bad news and fine things to pull them up on but they pale before physics of latency, which is what I was contemplating earlier in this quoting session.

If service fees with extra payments for services is your pain point then so be it (I have no monthly fees if I can get away with it, and I can it seems). I can see others playing happily within it though (a fool and his money and all that).

Again though this is all so much of a sideshow compared to the physics.

5. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    Who could've predicted this? :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'll have a fat stack of $100 play store credits to say sorry to the poor people who purchase it after it's canned in 2 years.

The only time streaming games is acceptable is when you're streaming your own games (Steam Link, ps play or whatever it's called)

I've always found "cloud" games to be a dreadful idea since the very beginning. Was Nvidia first??

But those perfect knife handle grips... Screw it, sign me up! Google is trying to get itself into something it doesn't understand well enough or at all.

Gun to your head, you have to buy Stadia or Google glass? Both are the same price and we're assuming glass wasn't ditched (like this will be) which would you choose? Both are stupid but I'm trying to make a point.

6. YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2017
    Brazil
    I actually think there's an absurd amount of potential here, but this botched launch might mark them up for good. I don't think this is as needless as the average gamer thinks it is, but I think it's weird how Google pushed up this service which clearly wasn't ready yet.

I actually hope for it to succeed on the long term. I don't plan on buying any new hardware anytime soon - and I honestly believe I might play Doom Eternal on this someday.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't mind a nice camera on my head able to record things, and display fun data of my choice (possibly also some nice AR) into my eyeballs. Get a nice battery and wire it (or indeed don't) into a computer you likely keep about your person and that could make something useful.

Streaming your own stuff over a remote connection outside of your own town (and possibly on the same ISP or style of ISP -- so not cable to ADSL) within that town will be troubled by the same problems.

This isn't a matter of "oh wait for everybody to get faster internet" like we did with downloadable games*. This is hard laws of physics. If they can beat ping times then... other than having effectively invented time travel the military and financial applications of that kind of tech would be "never mind one blank cheque, have two".

If they want to do the local stuff ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/google-...ion-over-input-lag.552565/page-6#post-8868406 ) then there is that but at that point it is a rather different proposition and business model for them.

*ignoring ROMs for old systems we had fairly normal/non technical people routinely downloading PC games since the days of gnutella (as in before torrents got big), and technical people further back still (I remember one group of associates looking to download Windows ME and winding up with a game instead following a mistake in selecting the download selection, said associates had long been downloading no-cd cracks, and one of them going further back to Amiga stuff). To that end anybody at the midway point of the 360 lifetime was very much fighting a losing battle not expecting things to shift there.

8. actuallyasriel

actuallyasriel Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2019
    Canada
    Oh no, what a shock. I bet NOBODY saw this coming. :glare:

9. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    This "laws of physics" stuff is some overblown horseshit. Light is plenty fast enough, its limited bandwith from our cheapass ISPs, cables crammed with crappy TV instead of fiber optic, and crappy routers and hops and the like that are slowing things down. Some countries and even American cities have mostly solved this problem, its about investing in infrastructure which is as anathema to most of the U.S. as the taxes that would fund it.

When Stadia hits 50 ms like it does for people in better conditions, that's "good enough" for most people. Getting more of those people in on that is mostly a matter of better hardware and maybe some more data centers. I don't see those as inevitable like Google does, but its totally a solvable problem.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Nov 22, 2019
  10. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    @FAST6191 True, but the reason I say it's acceptable is it's not a service that could be shut down.

Sure, the software used could be disabled eventually but at least you'd still own your games.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Bandwidth is a non issue, even in the US, for most use cases I imagine for this right now (if nothing else people already watch video) and while the future may see some more bandwidth unarsed such that the theoretical hardcore user could bust it out wherever there is a (hopefully low latency) screen for a marathon session that is presumably not the target market at this point. Congestion in the sense you mention (as well as the one more traditionally afflicting cable internet providers) is also not much of one.
    If they fancied laying and boosting a single laser fibre or point to point radio from their server to your house then sure even a good monitor would probably add more to the equation than a server anywhere on the same continent. However even if South Korea, Japan and Norway collided together the infrastructure of a vaguely general purpose system is not going to manage it and it needs to be local hubs, or perhaps some local offset, something that if they were doing that they would be shouting from the rooftops.

12. Frankbel

Frankbel GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2004
    Italy
    Messina
    So Stadia is shit, isn't? As expected.
    I am glad to see that consoles will be around for years to come.

the_randomizer likes this.
  13. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    *Laughs in physical media* :lol:

14. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    Technical facts would obviously explain all hardware involved because its the only way to back track a problem and see where the hiccup is perfect hardware setup would be handcuffed by relay speed

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Supervisor
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Considering the fact that Stadia is supported on a variety of platforms, some via a client and some via the browser, it's safe to say that no game processing besides capturing input and delivering video and audio is happening on the client device - it's interactive YouTube, not a huge mystery.

16. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

Jan 4, 2019
    United States
    EARTH
    Its hdmi over ethernet ,running it on a wired system and cutting down on switches and wifi would have a significant difference.

Wifi+casting+bluetooth controller = :wacko:

17. SatoXR

SatoXR Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2019
    Puerto Rico
    input lag is the least of its problems with the lack of games and Pricing.