Google is enabling Bluetooth support for the Stadia controller after the service ends

asddsadsadas.png

Even though Google Stadia is set to die in a matter of days, its controller will live on. There was some uncertainty about the matter, with users realizing that after the Stadia service would shut down, the controllers would be rendered inoperable, and there was no confirmation as to whether that would change, until now. Google has officially announced that next week, a self-serve tool will be released that allows anyone with a Stadia controller to enable Bluetooth features. The Stadia development team also made one final game release onto the storefront which will only exist for the last few remaining days of the service, simply titled Worm Game. According to Google, this was a test game that developers used to test Stadia's features, prior to its official launch.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that this is even a news is stupid to me. Ending or not, controllers should be universal and not "enabled", they should already be discoverable by any device. LoL
Fucking switch pro, nintendos controller can be seen by the PC.
Great point.

And the Switch Pro Controller is pretty much amazing, but a bit disappointing it has digital triggers.

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
Would've been nice if they had waited to end the service until after a bluetooth update was ready...I'm sure a lot of people who aren't tuned in to tech news already threw theirs out.
Saw the controller in my local CeX for £5 a couple of months ago, considered buying it but sadly passed on the chance

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the dpad any good for beatemups?
It's "clicky" if that makes sense, it was precise in my experience.

Beat 'em Ups are better with analog sticks so you can move more freely and comfortably while a d-pad is better for fighting games, but that's up to everyone's own preference.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that this is even a news is stupid to me. Ending or not, controllers should be universal and not "enabled", they should already be discoverable by any device. LoL
Fucking switch pro, nintendos controller can be seen by the PC.
But isn't the Stadia controller not utilizing bluetooth by default? Like it's not connecting directly with your PC or mobile device via bluetooth, rather its connecting directly to wifi in order to more quickly connect directly with the streaming game.

I mean I could be way wrong about how it operates, but that was my understanding. As such, to hear that the wifi controller will indeed still be usable as a bluetooth controller might not be the initial no-brainer such news sounds like it should be.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Kioku

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But isn't the Stadia controller not utilizing bluetooth by default? Like it's not connecting directly with your PC or mobile device via bluetooth, rather its connecting directly to wifi in order to more quickly connect directly with the streaming game.

I mean I could be way wrong about how it operates, but that was my understanding. As such, to hear that the wifi controller will indeed still be usable as a bluetooth controller might not be the initial no-brainer such news sounds like it should be.
That's how it is.

Google would have made the controller digital too if they could have.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

I didnt know that.

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google would never do that if they didn't have some benefit from it, they're not generous. So it has inbuilt voice commands or something, google assistant, microphone, some other Google feature, product tied to it?

r1vver

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
This is good news.
Except that I tend to think that the word "Google" is misleading and unnecessary here.
Most likely this decision was made independently within the Stadia development division. As a last duty to those who believed in them.
And none of the Google shithead officials were even close to being there. Such an act would simply be contrary to the modern politics of the greatest shit factory in history.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The triggers are analog but they don’t work if you directly plug it in over usb. You need to use a something like this to fix it https://github.com/RexSonic/StadiEm
I was talking about the Switch Pro Controller's triggers. They are digital, would be odd if they were analog since there's no room to adjust and rather it's more of "buttons."

Tomtani1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's hope that the blue enabled Stadia controller is recognized as a generic bluetooth controller by Mission Control for the jailbroken Switch.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Would've been nice if they had waited to end the service until after a bluetooth update was ready...I'm sure a lot of people who aren't tuned in to tech news already threw theirs out.
Where do people get these weird theories?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs