Gaming Good games to come back to

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'd like to propose a topic where we can share ideas of good games that might have flown by the radar.
Not considering the usual suspects, like Mario, Zelda and other power games.

I'm revisiting, hoping to complete:
Aliens: Infestation
Ridge Racer DS
Meteos
Magical Starsign
Contra 4

What games from this system would you like to revisit?

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For my part, the list is so long and complex that a lifetime would not be enough, even just to put it on paper...:rofl2:
So, considering only jrpgs (my favorite category):
Glory of Heracles
The World ends with you
Nostalgia
Radiant Historia
Saga 2/3 (eng patched)
Suikoden
Devil Survivor 1/2

Regards:)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For my part, the list is so long and complex that a lifetime would not be enough, even just to put it on paper...:rofl2:
Glory of Heracles
The World ends with you
Nostalgia
Radiant Historia
Saga 2/3 (eng patched)
Suikoden
Devil Survivor 1/2

Yeah, I agree. The DS library is massive, and I lost quite a few games in it's prime. Great that archivists have done a good job, preserving the games forever. I am amazed at the diversity of the games. A truly un-emulatable system.

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pokémon White 2
You know what? The only Pokémon I tried was the very first on the Gameboy.
Couldn't get to grips with it, as I found the concept of collecting animals and battling constantly a chore, so I guess I am not the target audience for the Pokémon games.

I don't believe I would be able to enjoy it now.

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Bubble Bobble Revolution
Giana Sisters DS
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
Solatorobo Red the Hunter
The Legendary Starfy
Last Window - The Secret of Cape West
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan kicks my ass. I'm horrible with rythm games, but I must persevere.

Good recommendations, thanks.

Reactions: banjo2

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You know what? The only Pokémon I tried was the very first on the Gameboy.
Couldn't get to grips with it, as I found the concept of collecting animals and battling constantly a chore, so I guess I am not the target audience for the Pokémon games.

I don't believe I would be able to enjoy it now.
I played Pokemon White 2 for maybe an hour, I think I got past the first gym? I really couldn't stand it, especially when traversing the grassy areas where you're constantly bombarded with random battles. Quite a shame, I was hoping I could get into this well-loved franchise :cry:

Reactions: eyeliner

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Glory of Heracles
The World ends with you
Nostalgia
Radiant Historia
Saga 2/3 (eng patched)
Suikoden
Devil Survivor 1/2

This list as well my own suggestions
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series
GTA Chinatown wars
Ace Attorney series
Castlevania series
Pokémon B/W/2
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What a nice surprise! This thread seemed dead and buried, but it suddenly came back to life; these are the games of life!

Usually, when there is an opportunity to deepen an interesting topic and open a discussion, no one comes forward, but when it comes to trivialities and stupid things, people pop up like mushrooms.

It would be interesting to know people's preferences, in relation to their age and culture of origin; and also the rediscovery of some obsure titles, "hidden gems", perhaps forgotten, or never heard of.

Someone mentioned a Pokemon game, but OP has specified that they don't have to be the "usual suspects", and the previous one is a popular, trivial and trendy title: and I have never understood all this interest in such a seemingly childish game.

Reactions: eyeliner and banjo2

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Someone mentioned a Pokemon game, but OP has specified that they don't have to be the "usual suspects", and the previous one is a popular, trivial and trendy title: and I have never understood all this interest in such a seemingly childish game.
It comes with the Lilith territory that I always shill for the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series and B/W/2, but I think I could add some less popular titles that I am still playing
Chibi-Robo Park Patrol
The Dementium series (I suggest the Dementium 1 EU version because they fixed a lot of bugs found in the US version)
Dragon Quest series, including Monsters Joker/2
Elebits
Etrian Odyssey series
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Lunar Dragon Song (honestly, kind of pants game but it has cat people in it, so I SUPER bias)
Monster Rancher DS (Also pants, but I am constantly going back to it)
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer
Izuna series

DannX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
* Magical Starsign (A really good game that's surprisingly not well known, a true hidden gem)
* Rune Factory 3 (My favorite and probably the best in the series)
* Metal Max 3 (Haven't played it, but it got a fan translation not long ago, and it seems pretty good. I like this series a lot.)
* Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (Still holds up pretty well despite having a enhanced remake on 3DS)
* Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light (FF is mainstream, but this is an spin-off that's not very known, as far as I know)

Last edited by DannX,

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It comes with the Lilith territory that I always shill for the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series and B/W/2, but I think I could add some less popular titles that I am still playing
Chibi-Robo Park Patrol
The Dementium series (I suggest the Dementium 1 EU version because they fixed a lot of bugs found in the US version)
Elebits
Etrian Odyssey series
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Lunar Dragon Song (honestly, kind of pants game but it has cat people in it, so I SUPER bias)
Izuna series
Aside from Pokémon, I see we have similar tastes; we both love rpgs and Japanese culture, it seems to me.
:blush:

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I also have a love for Roguelike and dungeon crawlers
By dungeon crawlers do you mean games like Etrian Odyssey? I like them too, and that I know of, there are very few on DS.
For a while I remember playing several of them on Neko Project 2 (PC98 emu), with beautiful, old fashioned, anime artwork, but that has nothing to do with the subject, and it's a whole other story.:rofl:

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played Pokemon White 2 for maybe an hour, I think I got past the first gym? I really couldn't stand it, especially when traversing the grassy areas where you're constantly bombarded with random battles. Quite a shame, I was hoping I could get into this well-loved franchise :cry:
as you progress into the game, you can buy repels and not have encounters anymore. And you get used to it eventually... or just quickly kill the mon and gain xp

Reactions: banjo2

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everybody.:)

I don't know if homebrews also count, but I take this opportunity to mention the now forgotten VNDS interpreter, the famous Visual Novel Reader later ported to Android, with which you can read:
1) about the action/horror genre, masterpieces such as Fate Stay Night, Tsukihime, Saya no Uta;
2) as regards the mystery/suspense/ romantic genre, the wonderful Infinity Series (Ever17, Never7), Cross Channel;
3) for the dramatic/moving genre, Narcissu1/2, Kanon, Planetarian, etc;
4) for the erotic (H) genre, almost the entire Sono Hanabira series.

Personally I consider FSN an absolute masterpiece and I recommend it to all lovers of frantic action, multiple choices and twists (and with a lot of free time to read it); instead Narcissu1/2, with a more linear plot, is for more delicate and sensitive palates, sometimes exaggeratedly moving, but full of moral teachings.
Kanon has a romantic, touching and engaging plot, even though it is everyday life, and the characters, as for the other Key novels, are chubby, sweet and cute.

Instead I recommend staying away from the Hanabira series; I tried to read the first 2 episodes without finishing them (and they are also short), and personally I consider them terrible, with a banal, ridiculous and boring plot, characters that seem underage and with disgusting and unbearable H scenes (for anyone with at least an iota of sanity).

It would be nice to see other titles ported to DS, but while converting foreground /background images, sounds, voices is quite simple, converting script files is more complex and time-consuming and requires precise technical knowledge.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

eyeliner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Contra 4 is way too hard. Holy crap! I'll pass it, because not that masochist.
This list as well my own suggestions
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series
GTA Chinatown wars
Ace Attorney series
Castlevania series
Pokémon B/W/2
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
OK, cool, Castlevanias are a given. For some reason, I never booted up Chinatown Wars, gotta do it fsat.
Chibi-Robo Park Patrol
Elebits
Etrian Odyssey series
Golden Sun Dark Dawn
Izuna series
Ah, Etrian and Shiren. I *think* that Shiren is quite a bit hardcore? Those are a couple of series I really need to explore further.
How Toryiama-ish is Dragon quest? I dislike his art style, because I feel I'm watching clones around, cosplaying.
* Magical Starsign (A really good game that's surprisingly not well known, a true hidden gem)
* Rune Factory 3 (My favorite and probably the best in the series)
* Metal Max 3 (Haven't played it, but it got a fan translation not long ago, and it seems pretty good. I like this series a lot.)
* Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey (Still holds up pretty well despite having a enhanced remake on 3DS)
* Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes of Light (FF is mainstream, but this is an spin-off that's not very known, as far as I know)
You are a person of good taste. Magical Starsign is where it's at. The only FF I tried on DS was FF 4 The After Years. Not a fan of the chibi aesthetic. I believe it was on the DS?

This turned out great! The DS has quite an impressive lineup of games. Well worth the 200gb backup. He.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4