Gaming Golden Sun Dark Dawn: best way to play this game?

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

So I've been wanting to play golden sun dark dawn ever since it came out. Problem is, I want to play it with the full experience but also be able to do save states.

I've been reading around for the past year trying to find the best solution.

I have a DS and was going to buy the game normally, but then I can't use save-states

I played a bit of it on Desemume, but my fps is too slow (35-40).

I thought of getting a flashcart, but I was reading that save-states don't work with this game to make it work on flash carts.

I'm sort of stuck. I've been out of the loop for 6 months or so, so maybe someone has a solution by now? That would be awesome!!!

Thankssss

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Why would you need save states?
They kinda ruin the whole point of full gamming experience from my point of view...
I agree. Unless the game is extremely hard, such as if the game were I Wanna be the Guy or Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril, the full gaming experience should involve no cheating and no savestates.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Even if a game is hard, that's why it's fun... Using save states completely ruins the whole game, as in, if you use save states, you're pretty much cheatting since you can load at any time in the game. Although I don't consider Golden Sun a hard game so I don't see why you'd need to use them at all...

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well with the previous golden sun games if you wanted to do certain stuff (like craft with oricalcum or whatnot) to do it legitimately you had to restart the game over and over. Save-states just saved so much time!

But if that's not something there is much of in this game i'll just play it normally =).

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant confirm as my equipment is at home, but I thought the CycloDS could use save states with this game. I could be mistaken as I havent gotten to this game in my list yet.

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another side question (or maybe I should make a new thread). What flash cart is best for this game? would a cheap r4 ds do? Do i need a higher end r4? Or another flash cart perhaps.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The DSTwo would be my suggestion for both the Save states and using an original DS/DSi/3DS. The CycloDS Evo/iEvo could also do the things you mentioned and they work with GS: DD, but I wouldn't recommend the cart now until we get a new update for the cart.

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most flash carts don't do save states (otherwise known as RTS), this includes the R4s.
http://gbatemp.net/t...rt-should-i-get
The DSTwo is often the recommended one.
The DSTwo would be my suggestion for both the Save states and using an original DS/DSi/3DS. The CycloDS Evo/iEvo could also do the things you mentioned and they work with GS: DD, but I wouldn't recommend the cart now until we get a new update for the cart.

Thanks! Only thing is I remember reading (this is like 6 or so months ago) that the DSTwo only runs this game in the safe mode (the mode where you can't use save-states and other things), and that cyclods has trouble running this game?

elunesgrace

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^Awesome.

I took your collective advices and bought myself a ds lite and the game (only 19.99 at bestbuy.ca). Plays great!

Picked up a 3ds recently, so I'll go over to that section and see what's happening. I'm sure the DSTwo will work great on the 3ds. I keep hearing about this wood software for the R4 gold, what's that about?

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry it took so long to answer, but I forgot about this threat. I can confirm that the CycloDS on a DSLite does not support real time menu or real time save with this game. I also tested with my DSTWO and real time menu and real time save do work. Go with the DSTWO. It will also work with any version of DS and 3DS, minus 3DS games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu