Go to CIA or continue with 3dz?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nadname, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Nadname
    OP

Nadname Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    Macau
    Hey everyone , i just go informed on the cia stuff and i would like to know if i should continue using the .3dz on the gateway or use the cia , because what's the point of turning it into a cia and would my savedata be corrupted if i made the transition . Thanks

2. Angely

Angely GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    For .cia games you don't need to worry about headers, if you're playing online games with a pirated copy. If you're using your own legal backup & you didn't share it, then there's no need to bother with converting it to .cia unless you want to play them on a CFW without gateway & if I'm correct you can convert your saves to .sav so they'll work just fine with a .cia version. The 3ds also has a save conversion app that lets you transfer the cartrigdes save file to the digital version of the game if that game has 1. For other games you'll need to use savedata filer I think. The cartrigde will be left empty though. I hope this answers your question.

3. usernametaken

usernametaken GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2015
    United States
    .3dz = Inject your private header into a .3ds
    .cia = Uses your 3DS' ID as a header

If you're going from .3dz > .cia (or the other way around) in a game you're already playing, you'll use SaveDataFiler (Need to google for it) & http://3dsdb.com/ (to lookup the last 5 number / letters of your game) backup the save, then inject the save to either CTR if you're going from cia to 3dz or to the SD if you're going from 3dz > cia.

4. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    If you're capable of running cia than go for it.

5. rufuszombot

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
    Can you do this with a cart? I'm trying to get my .cia save to my cart, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

6. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    You can try this:

From: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

7. Nadname
    OP

Nadname Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    Macau
    Thanks for all the responses , so i have 2 SD cards one with 8 gb and one with 4 , since the games will be stored on the SD card instead of the gateway , i will have to switch the cards or not even using the Gateway one only for Cia updates and such ? also i tried using savedatafiler but it says Broken on my game so i can use it .

8. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    If you're trying to go from a Retail Cart to 3dz / cia, you'll need to SD cards like quoted in the post above (Even then I don't know for sure if it'll work)

For broken CTR see: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

Edit: 'e-shop' is cia btw.

9. rufuszombot

rufuszombot Assassin

Apr 13, 2010
    United States
    The Moon
  10. usernametaken

May 13, 2015
    United States
    No problem, glad it worked out. :)

11. Nadname
    OP

Nadname Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2014
    Macau
    Man i don't know how to thank you for being so helpful it always blow my mind to be this nice , really thanks for answering all those questions from your time , have a good day man

usernametaken likes this.