Getting iPhone 4G

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, we all know that the iPhone 4G has been leaked, and is coming out soon. I have a few questions. About how long does it take for a jailbreak to come out? I heard the iPad is now jailbreakable, and I don't want to buy an iPhone 4G, and find out I can't jailbreak it. Also, It is supposed to come with OS 4, will that possibly make it be harder to jailbreak?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It depends on whether the hackers could stockpile exploits. If they can, you'll get a launch-day release (as is being done with the 3.1.3/4.0 unlock). If not, you could wait a long while to surface. Geohot has an exploit under wraps, but he's occupied with other things at the moment.

D

Deleted User

It can't take that long.
smile.gif

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Just saying: That could be a 3GS that has the 0x24000 Segment Overflow/24kpwn (in other words, forever pwned via custom firmwares if the user's not stupid).

D

Deleted User

I don't really know what that "0x24000 Segment Overflow/24kpwn" is (only used blackra1n on my 3GS since I don't need it to be unlocked), but seeing as you seem to be familiar with that matter it's quite possible.

xshoyz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of the fact that you're asking us questions like this despite the fact that none of us are Fortune Tellers, I find it especially funny how I get the feeling that the reason you're asking these questions is because you're hoping for assurance due to the fact that you're going to buy this device the day it comes out and not one minute later, as opposed to simply waiting for a jailbreak to be released to warrant said purchase if it's such an issue for you to not have one.

And no, regardless of the fact that OS4 and iPhone 4 are both seemingly being released simultaneously, and the matching numbers, the iPhone4 will surely not come with OS4. iPhone 4 is going to be released with iPhone OS 2.6. Insider information, trust me.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Takeshi said:
I don't really know what that "0x24000 Segment Overflow/24kpwn" is (only used blackra1n on my 3GS since I don't need it to be unlocked), but seeing as you seem to be familiar with that matter it's quite possible.
That's the name given to the untethered jailbreak vulnerability for the "old bootrom" iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3GS. All of the major apps (blackra1n, redsn0w, PwnageTool, et al.) use it.

Basically, if an iPhone 3GS has this vulnerability (and a low-enough firmware version), the device could be jailbroken with a custom firmware (read: no exploit discovered, pointless for 4.0 OTB). Hope that clarified things up a bit.

D

Deleted User

Dialexio said:
Takeshi said:
That's the name given to the untethered jailbreak vulnerability for the "old bootrom" iPod touch 2G and iPhone 3GS. All of the major apps (blackra1n, redsn0w, PwnageTool, et al.) use it.

Basically, if an iPhone 3GS has this vulnerability (and a low-enough firmware version), the device could be jailbroken with a custom firmware (read: no exploit discovered, pointless for 4.0 OTB). Hope that clarified things up a bit.
It really did. Thanks!
smile.gif

luke_c

Big Boss
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
It's iPhone 4 damnit! iPhone 4

Although i'm pretty sure it will be jailbroken within the first week (Possibly day like the iPad) it may be worth waiting until then, as it normally isn't long, just to be on the safe side, and I would of thought that been as they was demoing the iPhone 4 with iOS 4 it would come with it.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm getting an iPhone 4 too! About the jailbreak, I believe it already has a jailbreak under the name LimeRain (maybe that's for the iPad?
unsure.gif
) but I certainly remember something about it.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quoted for emphasis.
xshoyz said:
Regardless of the fact that you're asking us questions like this despite the fact that none of us are Fortune Tellers, I find it especially funny how I get the feeling that the reason you're asking these questions is because you're hoping for assurance due to the fact that you're going to buy this device the day it comes out and not one minute later, as opposed to simply waiting for a jailbreak to be released to warrant said purchase if it's such an issue for you to not have one.

The device has not been released, and thus we do not know if it's jailbreak ready.

You should email Jobs and ask him.
rolleyes.gif

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer, tempers. I was only asking about the times and everything, because my family is planning to switch to AT&T or Verizon, and that when I get it, I know that I can jailbreak it, and my family can easily pick a family line option, instead of getting me a seperate line If I were to wait for mine later. Limited time only offers, yada-yada-yada, great deals, etc, and I will get the phone I want, during the right time, and with the right family deal. Sorry if this confuses you, it's pretty late where I am right now, and I'm tired.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock