Getting a PS3. Questions.

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by thekarter104, Mar 13, 2016.

1. thekarter104
    OP

thekarter104 GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Hello everyone.

I'm getting a PS3 FAT (non-working disc drive, no controllers) from a friend soon and I have questions about it.

First off, what I'd like to do on it is:

- Use a PSP as controller. (I think it's already possible on PS3 OFW with a CFW PSP LOL) I have to be sure, otherwise I can't even start.
    - Play Homebrew and Emulators.
    - Play backups.
    - Play online with backup Black Ops II and GTA V without being banned from PSN (I already own them on the Xbox 360 btw).
    - Play PS1 Classics.
    - Show PSP screen on TV
    - Play with a Wii controller (Wiimote, Classic Controller, Wii U Pro Controller) wirelessly.
    - Probably some other cool stuff I don't know about.

Secondly, I know almost nothing from PS3 lol. I already have a PSN because PSP.

So yeah, about the firmware, he doesn't know what firmware it is, he says he doesn't use it anymore so.
    I only know you can only hack a PS3 lower than 3.55, or a hardware flasher is needed.

Is it possible for what I have on my list once it's CFW? (Maybe OFW too with the controllers)
    Thanks in advance.

2. lexluth0r

lexluth0r GBAtemp Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Yes you can use psp as a controller kinda like the Wii u. And no you can't use the wiimotes

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can play whatever games you want once you have cfw but there is always a risk of being banned no matter what stealth programs you use

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Homebrew, emulators, and backs can only be played on CFW. For that the PS3 has to be on ofw 3.55 or lower. Playing those games online will result in an almost instant ban, so don't even try it. You'll be able to play ps1,2,&3 titles with multiman webman mod. The psp on tv this should still be supported, get yourself a PS3 controller, that psp won't be very useful for games. Heck, you'd have better luck using a ps vita as a PS3 contiller (if such a thing exists).

4. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Ok so, just got the PS3 now. It appears it's on 4.70.
    What can I do to hack it? I've heard about Kakaroto exploit and also downgrading.

The downgrading can only be done with hardware flasher, so, are there any known exploits? What is the Kakaroto exploit, what game do I need?

Thanks.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I'm not sure where you heard of the Kakaroto "exploit", but he never released it for 4.00 AFAIK, and it wouldn't let you downgrade anyways as it was mostly a homebrew thing. The only other thing he did was PS3xport, which won't let you downgrade either. And you will never find any exploit above 3.55 that will let you install CFW. It simply doesn't exist, and probably won't at this point. Anything you ever read about a software downgrade for above 3.55 is most likely false.

Your only choice to get CFW at this point is to downgrade with a hardware flasher. Check this site to find out whether your phatty has a NAND or a NOR flash: http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/SKU_Models

You can buy an E3 flasher, which will let you downgrade any NAND or NOR. If you don't feel confident in doing it yourself, you can head over to the PS3hax.net forums and contact one of their trusted downgraders, and have them do it.

6. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    It's 2016 and still no software downgrade or exploits even for the FAT PS3 LMAO.

But thanks, will check it out.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It makes 0 difference what model PS3 it is. Phat's, Slim's, Super Slim's all run on the same firmware, older PS3s aren't "easier" to hack because they're virtually the same as any newer PS3. Sony simply didn't fuck around with the security on their firmware after the initial fuck up and it's just too difficult to break through and I imagine people stopped trying at this point.

8. thekarter104
    OP

Mar 28, 2013
    United States
    Ah, alrighty. Thanks.