Hardware Getting a new Computer

• Thread starter Deleted-379826
  • Start date
  • Views 2,939
  • Replies 41
D

Deleted-379826

OP
Hi I was wondering if you guys could help me with getting a new gaming computer :P .
So basically I don't want to spend any more than 1200 Cad (I converted it into 939 USD but not sure if conversion was a good idea/accurate for this) so the price range would be between 1000 to 1200 Cad preferably closer to 1000 or by the conversion 739 to 939 USD. So now let's get started im probably gonna try and get sales and things but I was wondering if I can get a usual rough estimate in that price range. Yes I know it varies but I do not care how rough it is. Like in matters of will I be able to play Overwatch 2 (assuming there would be something like that) on like medium settings or if I can 60 fps emulate wii games. I'm also wondering what parts you guys would recommend in that price range. I know this is a bit messy and all but thanks if you actually understands and can help me out :D

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want:

An i5 or i7 CPU clocked at, at least 2.5GHz

8GB RAM, or 16GB if you feel like you'll need it. I'd go with the 16GB iiwy.

A decent graphics card. No, you dont have to spend $800+ to get a good one. Get one with at least 4GB of Video RAM. (GDDR and then some number)

And I suggest buying a good sized SSD (100-300GB) for gaming and a 1-2TB HDD for casual use. You COULD get a larger SSD but the larger ones are incredibly expensive.

Hope this helps.

D

Deleted-379826

OP
You want:

An i5 or i7 CPU clocked at, at least 2.5GHz

8GB RAM, or 16GB if you feel like you'll need it. I'd go with the 16GB iiwy.

A decent graphics card. No, you dont have to spend $800+ to get a good one. Get one with at least 4GB of Video RAM. (GDDR and then some number)

And I suggest buying a good sized SSD (100-300GB) for gaming and a 1-2TB HDD for casual use. You COULD get a larger SSD but the larger ones are incredibly expensive.

Hope this helps.
That helped a lot <3 Thanks!

Reactions: dpad_5678

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That helped a lot <3 Thanks!
Wait a little bit on the Graphics card, juts a heads up. 1080 just released at 600 usd msrp, 1070 just released at 350 usd and the RX480 is supposed to expected later this month at 200usd with apparently performance on par with 980s. The first two cards are in short supply but it would be best to wait since those are all best performance per price cards

Reactions: sup3rgh0st

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wait a little bit on the Graphics card, juts a heads up. 1080 just released at 600 usd msrp, 1070 just released at 350 usd and the RX480 is supposed to expected later this month at 200usd with apparently performance on par with 980s. The first two cards are in short supply but it would be best to wait since those are all best performance per price cards
It's not only that, but if he does decide to dump the rest of his cash into the graphics card, the prices for the rest of them will also drop due to the new releases.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Without knowing what 1000 -1200Cad actually gets you, it converts to around £500-£600 here.... that's not enough for a high end rig here in the UK, but still good enough to run what you want anyway.
To save money, I'd opt for an i5 over an i7 - you won't notice much of a difference, other than the rrp anyway, not for what you want to do..

Graphics card - well like the lads have just said above, try to wait that one out, prices will start to drop.. the 1070 is probably too much for you, but like has been said AMD are offering lower priced cards in the near future that look really good (nvidia may hopefully react to this with a good priced 1060!). 1070's release should drop the rrp of the 970 too, so keep an eye out there for any deals.

Ram is quite cheap anyway, just make sure you have the minimum of 8Gb and if you've got a few bucks left at the end of it, grab another 8... not a game breaker, but 16Gb would be more future proof.

dpad's bang on with storage, you should be able to manage a decent >250Gb and 2Tb hdd combo, which will do the job nicely.

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not only that, but if he does decide to dump the rest of his cash into the graphics card, the prices for the rest of them will also drop due to the new releases.
That's true as well, though I'm treating the Pascal and Polaris cards as special cases when we're talking about price to performance. For example, the 350-400$ 1070 is beating the titans, and the 480 is supposedly matching the 980s, so if he's going for cheap and somewhat powerful, the 480 is going to be his best bet

Reactions: Deleted-379826
D

Deleted-379826

OP
Thanks for all the help guys although is there a useful website I could use or something like that to grab the graphics card when they get lower and is there one you guys can all agree on? (I'm fairly new to parts)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's true as well, though I'm treating the Pascal and Polaris cards as special cases when we're talking about price to performance. For example, the 350-400$ 1070 is beating the titans, and the 480 is supposedly matching the 980s, so if he's going for cheap and somewhat powerful, the 480 is going to be his best bet
Thanks so can you clear up a bit around the time range and how I can keep an eye on the 480

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help guys although is there a useful website I could use or something like that to grab the graphics card when they get lower and is there one you guys can all agree on? (I'm fairly new to parts)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks so can you clear up a bit around the time range and how I can keep an eye on the 480
The 480 is expected to release around the end of this month, just keep on the look out for reputable review people receiving reference cards to review. Don't expect to buy one within the same week they come out if they live up to the hype.
My vote is on the RX480, fallback on the 1070 if you can afford it, otherwise a price dropped 970 or 980 even will do you quite well(The 960 I have currently is running Overwatch on epic anywhere from 50-70fps).
NCIX , Newegg, and even Amazon are probably your best bet for watching out for the card.

D

Deleted-379826

OP
The 480 is expected to release around the end of this month, just keep on the look out for reputable review people receiving reference cards to review. Don't expect to buy one within the same week they come out if they live up to the hype.
My vote is on the RX480, fallback on the 1070 if you can afford it, otherwise a price dropped 970 or 980 even will do you quite well(The 960 I have currently is running Overwatch on epic anywhere from 50-70fps).
NCIX , Newegg, and even Amazon are probably your best bet for watching out for the card.
By don't expect to get one within the first week did you mean because itll sell out or itll go lower?
Alright and I'll probably get it from amazon when I can! Thanks

Last edited by ,

Docmudkipz

Novice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By don't expect to get one within the first week did you mean because itll sell out or itll go lower?
Alright and I'll probably get it from amazon when I can! Thanks
As in sold out within 5 minutes of having stock in. The 1080s and 70s have this problem at the moment.
I certainly hope MSI's 1080 drops since it's the only one that matches my new rig considering the only things seen are Corsair/MSI and my EVGA 960 is clashing a bit

D

Deleted-379826

OP
Last thing can you help me pick my processor or what I should get. I'll let you know of this helps I usually won't have any other thing than my main thing running. Unless SOMETIMES skype or discord. And what t should be clocked at, I also sometimes have vlc play some music but that shouldn't be big

And finally the price! Thanks for everything :)

D

Deleted-379826

OP
6600k = i5 quad core 3.5Ghz $220

6700k = i7 quad core 4.0Ghz $320

Both are Skylake 6th generation chips.
Do you need a good processor for many games or is it more along multi tasking. As I said above you think it'll be necessary for the i7?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really there is only a slight advantage in the 6700k. The i5 is a great chip too. Both have a smaller footprint, so air cooling is also viable. I personally have the 6700k OC'ed to 4.4Ghz air cooled and i have not seen it get above 75°C running games like Tomb Raider on max settings for an hour or two. I am also running a GTX970 with it.

D

Deleted-379826

OP
Really there is only a slight advantage in the 6700k. The i5 is a great chip too. Both have a smaller footprint, so air cooling is also viable. I personally have the 6700k OC'ed to 4.4Ghz air cooled and i have not seen it get above 75°C running games like Tomb Raider on max settings for an hour or two. I am also running a GTX970 with it.
yeah I think the i5 is for me I don't try to nuke my computer lmao I do one thing at a time

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note when building a PC, you need to consider every part when building on a budget. Consider the case, mobo, ram, CPU, GPU, power supply, hard drive, , optical drive, cooling, and possibly OS. If you have parts you can use from a recycled PC, use them. You can get away with used cases, optical drives, some HDD's ect to cut a few costs.

Last edited by hundshamer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.