[VR] What do you think is a must do with a VR headset?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Noctosphere
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 1,708
  • Replies Replies 16

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2013
Messages
7,922
Reaction score
22,755
Trophies
6
Age
33
Location
Biblically accurate Hell
XP
27,511
Country
Canada
Hello fellow tempers,

Today, I decided to charge my Quest 3 headset to watch some movies. I hadn't use it for a couple of weeks now, and I was wondering.
What do you think is a must do with a VR Headset? And of course, we will talk about the elephant in the room.
I know, we all know. We all had that though when we first got our hand on a VR Headset. Yes, I did try it. I did try the Now So Famous & Wonderful mode that makes the world so much more beautiful.

Now, let's talk about other stuff, shall we? What do you guys consider a must do with a VR Headset?
Playing some videos on it and having a home cinema is probably one of the most basic thing we can do.
I did try a few time to play some PC games on it, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong, since I always had a terrible experience (wether it's to setup game specific mods, as well as the result I would get in the end). I'm also questionning if I'm correctly linking my headset to my PC.

But I woulod guess there are other stuff to do with a VR Headset than just gaming and watching movies/series, right? Considering that the native VR games library is quite small... What else would you suggest me to try?
 
:unsure: I'm with @emigre on this.

........................................
1761569747316.png

1762883294267.png
..............................
1762883261920.png
 
Last edited by AncientBoi,
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: lightwo and emigre
Hello fellow tempers,

Today, I decided to charge my Quest 3 headset to watch some movies. I hadn't use it for a couple of weeks now, and I was wondering.
What do you think is a must do with a VR Headset? And of course, we will talk about the elephant in the room.
I know, we all know. We all had that though when we first got our hand on a VR Headset. Yes, I did try it. I did try the Now So Famous & Wonderful mode that makes the world so much more beautiful.

Now, let's talk about other stuff, shall we? What do you guys consider a must do with a VR Headset?
Playing some videos on it and having a home cinema is probably one of the most basic thing we can do.
I did try a few time to play some PC games on it, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong, since I always had a terrible experience (wether it's to setup game specific mods, as well as the result I would get in the end). I'm also questionning if I'm correctly linking my headset to my PC.

But I woulod guess there are other stuff to do with a VR Headset than just gaming and watching movies/series, right? Considering that the native VR games library is quite small... What else would you suggest me to try?
Minecraft Java in VR is pretty cool with the Vivecraft mod.

In regards to game specific mods I assume you mean mods to enable VR in non-VR games? The experience isn't always the best because the games weren't designed for it. Though another game with an amazing VR mod (other than Minecraft) is Outer Wilds, it feels like a native VR game. Portal 2 has a decent VR mod, it didn't work quite right with the latest version and I had to downgrade some files, workaround is here: https://github.com/Gistix/portal2vr/issues/125#issuecomment-2697550005
With the workaround applied, it works quite well.
I have also heard Skyrim has some good VR mods nowadays that work much better than the pathetic official Skyrim VR.

Half Life Alyx is the obvious must play, if you haven't played it yet. I hear good things about Boneworks/Bonelab too. Also, Superhot VR, Tetris Effect, Phasmophobia are all worth checking out.

I recommend Virtual Desktop for PCVR though it's not free. It seems to work the best. Steam Link works decently (there is a Steam Link app on Quest) and is by far the easiest to set up since it just works out of the box with Steam without needing to install anything (other than SteamVR itself which you can do from within Steam, it might even prompt you to do it automatically when you connect with Steam Link), the only thing with Steam Link is that some games experience weird framerate issues at specific (and repeatable) points which cause the resolution to drop down to like 240p even though the PC has no issue running the game.
I don't like the built in Quest Link/AirLink. You need the PC app and it drops you into what I assume is the old Oculus Rift interface which is completely different from the Quest interface you're used to, and I personally found it very unintuitive. Then when you launch a SteamVR game you also have to deal with the SteamVR interface on top of that so you have 3 completely separate interfaces running on top of eachother that can all be activated with buttons. Virtual Desktop or Steam Link is preferrable since it drops you straight into the SteamVR interface (which is similar to Steam Big Picture Mode and works quite well) and you don't need the Horizon Link bloatware. Virtual Desktop has the most features out of the two and generally works the best.
Virtual Desktop also works well for PC desktop stuff. I find it kinda nice just using the Quest as a PC monitor sometimes for coding and whatnot, it's like having a giant monitor.

There is a YouTube app for Quest, it's a little basic but it's a comfy way to watch some videos while laying in bed or whatever.

Also some lesser known VR gems (IMO) that you may not have heard of: Shadow Point (Quest), The Room VR (PC/Quest), Pixel Ripped 1995 (PC/Quest), Killer Frequency (PC/Quest), Paper Beast (PC), Accounting+ (PC/Quest), Proton Pulse (PC, enable beta-oculus-support branch in Steam)
Paper Beast is currently 90% off on Steam, highly recommend. Make sure you buy the right version - Folded Edition is non-VR.
That game left me in awe with how beautiful the environment looks, and it has some neat and very unique puzzle solving mechanics.
Proton Pulse is a personal favorite for some quick fun and a game I come back to again and again. It's one of the first completed VR games ever released - it's been around since the original Oculus Rift devkits. But has gone under the radar and hardly has any reviews on Steam.
Shadow Point and The Room VR are both in the same vein, hidden object type puzzle games but taking full advantage of VR controls.
Pixel Ripped takes you back to the 90s with some unexpected twists, hard to explain but tons of fun.
Killer Frequency is a rather unique puzzle horror game where you have to save people from a murderer.
Accounting+ is just weird and surreal with a large dose of humor. A bit like Stanley Parable, so if you like that you'll like this.

There are also a number of emulators that support VR, 3dSen VR for NES games (it makes your NES games 3D!), and Dolphin also has a VR fork. I believe there's a VR Virtual Boy emulator. Plus others I'm probably missing. Some games work better than others, Paper Mario TTYD is pretty fucking cool in VR.

Also, have you checked out VRChat yet? (I would suggest to play it in PCVR as the Quest version is very limited)
It might not sound appealing at first, It sure didn't to me. But after a friend convinced me to check it out I got kinda into it and made tons of new friends. Also, it's one of the only ways (and probably the best way) you can watch movies and other videos in VR with friends which is always fun even if you're an introvert like me. And there are tons of multiplayer game worlds of every kind imaginable.
 
Minecraft Java in VR is pretty cool with the Vivecraft mod.

In regards to game specific mods I assume you mean mods to enable VR in non-VR games? The experience isn't always the best because the games weren't designed for it. Though another game with an amazing VR mod (other than Minecraft) is Outer Wilds, it feels like a native VR game. Portal 2 has a decent VR mod, it didn't work quite right with the latest version and I had to downgrade some files, workaround is here: https://github.com/Gistix/portal2vr/issues/125#issuecomment-2697550005
With the workaround applied, it works quite well.
I have also heard Skyrim has some good VR mods nowadays that work much better than the pathetic official Skyrim VR.

Half Life Alyx is the obvious must play, if you haven't played it yet. I hear good things about Boneworks/Bonelab too. Also, Superhot VR, Tetris Effect, Phasmophobia are all worth checking out.

I recommend Virtual Desktop for PCVR though it's not free. It seems to work the best. Steam Link works decently (there is a Steam Link app on Quest) and is by far the easiest to set up since it just works out of the box with Steam without needing to install anything (other than SteamVR itself which you can do from within Steam, it might even prompt you to do it automatically when you connect with Steam Link), the only thing with Steam Link is that some games experience weird framerate issues at specific (and repeatable) points which cause the resolution to drop down to like 240p even though the PC has no issue running the game.
I don't like the built in Quest Link/AirLink. You need the PC app and it drops you into what I assume is the old Oculus Rift interface which is completely different from the Quest interface you're used to, and I personally found it very unintuitive. Then when you launch a SteamVR game you also have to deal with the SteamVR interface on top of that so you have 3 completely separate interfaces running on top of eachother that can all be activated with buttons. Virtual Desktop or Steam Link is preferrable since it drops you straight into the SteamVR interface (which is similar to Steam Big Picture Mode and works quite well) and you don't need the Horizon Link bloatware. Virtual Desktop has the most features out of the two and generally works the best.
Virtual Desktop also works well for PC desktop stuff. I find it kinda nice just using the Quest as a PC monitor sometimes for coding and whatnot, it's like having a giant monitor.

There is a YouTube app for Quest, it's a little basic but it's a comfy way to watch some videos while laying in bed or whatever.

Also some lesser known VR gems (IMO) that you may not have heard of: Shadow Point (Quest), The Room VR (PC/Quest), Pixel Ripped 1995 (PC/Quest), Killer Frequency (PC/Quest), Paper Beast (PC), Accounting+ (PC/Quest), Proton Pulse (PC, enable beta-oculus-support branch in Steam)
Paper Beast is currently 90% off on Steam, highly recommend. Make sure you buy the right version - Folded Edition is non-VR.
That game left me in awe with how beautiful the environment looks, and it has some neat and very unique puzzle solving mechanics.
Proton Pulse is a personal favorite for some quick fun and a game I come back to again and again. It's one of the first completed VR games ever released - it's been around since the original Oculus Rift devkits. But has gone under the radar and hardly has any reviews on Steam.
Shadow Point and The Room VR are both in the same vein, hidden object type puzzle games but taking full advantage of VR controls.
Pixel Ripped takes you back to the 90s with some unexpected twists, hard to explain but tons of fun.
Killer Frequency is a rather unique puzzle horror game where you have to save people from a murderer.
Accounting+ is just weird and surreal with a large dose of humor. A bit like Stanley Parable, so if you like that you'll like this.

There are also a number of emulators that support VR, 3dSen VR for NES games (it makes your NES games 3D!), and Dolphin also has a VR fork. I believe there's a VR Virtual Boy emulator. Plus others I'm probably missing. Some games work better than others, Paper Mario TTYD is pretty fucking cool in VR.

Also, have you checked out VRChat yet? (I would suggest to play it in PCVR as the Quest version is very limited)
It might not sound appealing at first, It sure didn't to me. But after a friend convinced me to check it out I got kinda into it and made tons of new friends. Also, it's one of the only ways (and probably the best way) you can watch movies and other videos in VR with friends which is always fun even if you're an introvert like me. And there are tons of multiplayer game worlds of every kind imaginable.

1761575533885.png
And then some.
 
Minecraft Java in VR is pretty cool with the Vivecraft mod.

In regards to game specific mods I assume you mean mods to enable VR in non-VR games? The experience isn't always the best because the games weren't designed for it. Though another game with an amazing VR mod (other than Minecraft) is Outer Wilds, it feels like a native VR game. Portal 2 has a decent VR mod, it didn't work quite right with the latest version and I had to downgrade some files, workaround is here: https://github.com/Gistix/portal2vr/issues/125#issuecomment-2697550005
With the workaround applied, it works quite well.
I have also heard Skyrim has some good VR mods nowadays that work much better than the pathetic official Skyrim VR.

Half Life Alyx is the obvious must play, if you haven't played it yet. I hear good things about Boneworks/Bonelab too. Also, Superhot VR, Tetris Effect, Phasmophobia are all worth checking out.

I recommend Virtual Desktop for PCVR though it's not free. It seems to work the best. Steam Link works decently (there is a Steam Link app on Quest) and is by far the easiest to set up since it just works out of the box with Steam without needing to install anything (other than SteamVR itself which you can do from within Steam, it might even prompt you to do it automatically when you connect with Steam Link), the only thing with Steam Link is that some games experience weird framerate issues at specific (and repeatable) points which cause the resolution to drop down to like 240p even though the PC has no issue running the game.
I don't like the built in Quest Link/AirLink. You need the PC app and it drops you into what I assume is the old Oculus Rift interface which is completely different from the Quest interface you're used to, and I personally found it very unintuitive. Then when you launch a SteamVR game you also have to deal with the SteamVR interface on top of that so you have 3 completely separate interfaces running on top of eachother that can all be activated with buttons. Virtual Desktop or Steam Link is preferrable since it drops you straight into the SteamVR interface (which is similar to Steam Big Picture Mode and works quite well) and you don't need the Horizon Link bloatware. Virtual Desktop has the most features out of the two and generally works the best.
Virtual Desktop also works well for PC desktop stuff. I find it kinda nice just using the Quest as a PC monitor sometimes for coding and whatnot, it's like having a giant monitor.

There is a YouTube app for Quest, it's a little basic but it's a comfy way to watch some videos while laying in bed or whatever.

Also some lesser known VR gems (IMO) that you may not have heard of: Shadow Point (Quest), The Room VR (PC/Quest), Pixel Ripped 1995 (PC/Quest), Killer Frequency (PC/Quest), Paper Beast (PC), Accounting+ (PC/Quest), Proton Pulse (PC, enable beta-oculus-support branch in Steam)
Paper Beast is currently 90% off on Steam, highly recommend. Make sure you buy the right version - Folded Edition is non-VR.
That game left me in awe with how beautiful the environment looks, and it has some neat and very unique puzzle solving mechanics.
Proton Pulse is a personal favorite for some quick fun and a game I come back to again and again. It's one of the first completed VR games ever released - it's been around since the original Oculus Rift devkits. But has gone under the radar and hardly has any reviews on Steam.
Shadow Point and The Room VR are both in the same vein, hidden object type puzzle games but taking full advantage of VR controls.
Pixel Ripped takes you back to the 90s with some unexpected twists, hard to explain but tons of fun.
Killer Frequency is a rather unique puzzle horror game where you have to save people from a murderer.
Accounting+ is just weird and surreal with a large dose of humor. A bit like Stanley Parable, so if you like that you'll like this.

There are also a number of emulators that support VR, 3dSen VR for NES games (it makes your NES games 3D!), and Dolphin also has a VR fork. I believe there's a VR Virtual Boy emulator. Plus others I'm probably missing. Some games work better than others, Paper Mario TTYD is pretty fucking cool in VR.

Also, have you checked out VRChat yet? (I would suggest to play it in PCVR as the Quest version is very limited)
It might not sound appealing at first, It sure didn't to me. But after a friend convinced me to check it out I got kinda into it and made tons of new friends. Also, it's one of the only ways (and probably the best way) you can watch movies and other videos in VR with friends which is always fun even if you're an introvert like me. And there are tons of multiplayer game worlds of every kind imaginable.
For the "game specific" mod part, I really wanted to play TOTK and Cyberpunk 2077 in VR. I heard there were VR mods and a lot of people had positive feedback on the experience they had in VR. However, no matter the tweak I did, I never managed to get an actually good experience (no where near to whatever they said they experienced)
 
I have also heard Skyrim has some good VR mods nowadays that work much better than the pathetic official Skyrim VR.
Yep, I can confirm. With a couple of mods, Skyrim VR is a great experience. It goes from "lol why is this game in VR now" all the way to "why didn't I try this earlier?!".

It's been a while since I last played, but I recall there were mods for making NPCs physical, holstering to quickly put weapons aside, making your character physical, etc., but honestly, my favourite VR feature already worked in the unmodded game: archery! I'm sure there was way more I forgot about in the meantime, but definitely make sure to get the game on a discount. It's great with mods!

I hear good things about Boneworks/Bonelab too.
Oh fuck yes. Boneworks is up there with HL:A. I'd say it's a better game in every way weren't it for the somewhat underwhelming story/campaign, but the first experience playing the game is outstanding. It's all about the experience!

Imagine Half-Life, but your body, weapons, ropes, ladders, just about anything you can imagine is fully physical. You won't get away with reloading with a button, you have to take a mag and reload with your hand. Also, you can dual-wield knives, or even stuff a barrel full of sharp things and throw it at someone! (Now that I think about it, it would be fun lobbing a grenade in it...)

Luckily, while Bonelab campaign is much less interesting (it was built as a foundation for mods first and foremost), folks out there made a full game port of Boneworks for Bonelab, and while last I tested it wasn't the most polished port out there (checkpoints broken, weapons don't save, etc.), it's Boneworks! It's even playable on standalone headsets that way.
 
Last edited by lightwo,
Watching porn of course.

WTF actually plays vr games?
I'm with @emigre .

........................................ View attachment 535658
View attachment 535657.............................. View attachment 535659
I'll put this here, just in case any other fellow want to say this again
I did try the Now So Famous & Wonderful mode that makes the world so much more beautiful.

As for the main subject of the thread, I didn't mean to talk about VR games that much. It's rather that I saw this video (not long before I made this thread) and it made me wonder about "What else could I do?"
 
  • Like
Reactions: AncientBoi
I'll put this here, just in case any other fellow want to say this again


As for the main subject of the thread, I didn't mean to talk about VR games that much. It's rather that I saw this video (not long before I made this thread) and it made me wonder about "What else could I do?"


Isn't that the incel who doesn't wash or drink water?
 
Yep, I can confirm. With a couple of mods, Skyrim VR is a great experience. It goes from "lol why is this game in VR now" all the way to "why didn't I try this earlier?!".

It's been a while since I last played, but I recall there were mods for making NPCs physical, holstering to quickly put weapons aside, making your character physical, etc., but honestly, my favourite VR feature already worked in the unmodded game: archery! I'm sure there was way more I forgot about in the meantime, but definitely make sure to get the game on a discount. It's great with mods!


Oh fuck yes. Boneworks is up there with HL:A. I'd say it's a better game in every way weren't it for the somewhat underwhelming story/campaign, but the first experience playing the game is outstanding. It's all about the experience!

Imagine Half-Life, but your body, weapons, ropes, ladders, just about anything you can imagine is fully physical. You won't get away with reloading with a button, you have to take a mag and reload with your hand. Also, you can dual-wield knives, or even stuff a barrel full of sharp things and throw it at someone! (Now that I think about it, it would be fun lobbing a grenade in it...)

Luckily, while Bonelab campaign is much less interesting (it was built as a foundation for mods first and foremost), folks out there made a full game port of Boneworks for Bonelab, and while last I tested it wasn't the most polished port out there (checkpoints broken, weapons don't save, etc.), it's Boneworks! It's even playable on standalone headsets that way.
Ah right, it was this video that really made me want to give Skyrim VR another chance. Funny as shit.

 
Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
YouTube used to have "3D Space Videos" where you'd be put on different points of space and have a full 360° view in all directions.
 
Boxing, if you dont get sick with movement.
BoxVR even though the main company got greedy and moved over to meta for the fitxr subscription


and/or Thrill of the Fight if you wanted to test yourself again some opponents in boxing :)
 
Playing pinball games, it's the best use of VR I know of. Adams Family, Attack from Mars, World Cup 94, Medieval Madness, etc. etc.
 

Site & Scene News