GBS-C vs OSSC vs HD Retrovision for Gamecube/WII and PS2..

L3gi0n0fh311

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a 1080p HDTV with component and HDMI inputs.

I also have a HD retrovision component cable for my PS2 and might buy one for my wii...

Should I stick with my component cables or Should I buy an upscaler ? If so, which upscaler should i get for gc/wii and ps2 ? OSSC or GBS-C ?

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I mean i want a OSSC, but is it worth the price. im not too sure. it really depends on your budget.

OSSC is £150, for that you could get a WIi U which has HDMI, which allows you to play wii and gamecube when modded.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
How many component inputs it has? Most only one, if any.

If you don't care about what an upscaler brings to the table and only care about having your systems connected... I guess you could stay with the components directly to the TV if you can have both at the same time.

If you only have one component input you'd have to think something else.

You could get a Wii2HDMI (apparently there are newer ones from Electron Shepherd that aren't horrible, they talk about them in reddit but I never tried those) and keep the ps2 on component.

If you do care about picture quality then you could start thinking about an upscaler.

But you also have to consider that neither the OSSC nor the GBS-1 can take two component inputs, only one. You'd need a component switch box but they aren' that common or cheap either. Or use different cables for each system.

Personally I have an OSSC and I have a PS2 connected through RGB and Wii through component. So very few PS2 games support 480p that barely matters, and my experience with forcing video modes is very mixed at best. On the other hand pretty much everything is 480p on Wii.

I'm quite happy with that for now.

If you want something on the cheap, maybe one of the simpler retrotink devices can get you fixed...

And by the way the Wii U is going to look worse than the Wii while doing Wii things, upscaled or not. Unless it was fixed and I don't know (which is perfectly possible) the overscan issues simply make the U a poorer Wii, specially now that the 480p fix was created by Extrems for older Wiis.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oops, I'm sorry that's a typo, I meant GBS-C.

The difference between the OSSC and the GBS-C are quite a few and those differences are kinda key depending on your uses.

The main thing going for the GBS-C is, from what I can read as I don't have one, that it can avoid the flicker from unfiltered interlaced video modes by using adaptive deinterlacing.

I don't know how knowledgeable are you about this stuff but I'll explain on simple terms: you have "three" general video modes when dealing with older stuff. Those are 240p, 480i and 480p.

Of those, only 480i is interlaced. Interlaced means that only half of the horizontal lines gets updated at a time. This causes the screen to feel "jumpy", specially with white or close to white colors". This is what the majority of the PS2 games have, because the games have very, very poor support for Progressive Scan (480p), and few games use a filter to masquerade the shifting picture with each refresh.

Generally speaking, modern TVs have a filter of their own if they find an Interlaced signal that blurs the picture, but at least protects your eyes from the flicker. But if the picture is passed through an upscaler that changes the image, that filter might not be used at all. Most systems (Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, Wii) did also apply a filter to hide the flickering as it can strain your eyes because, after all, you are looking at constantly shifting lines of bright light. But as mentioned, Sony for some insane reason thought providing a filter wasn't good.

The GBS-C has a feature that can provide both a sharper picture and avoid the flickering. As mentioned, this is good for most PS2 games, and some PS1 games that play at 480i. It can also help with games that change from 240p to 480i, mostly PS1 games although not many do it.

The OSSC still can do something called BoB Deinterlacing. it offers a cleaner picture but you can still see the flickering a bit. You can use scanline options to hide it pretty well, but it's not as good as the feature of the GBS-C. You can still just "pass through" the video signal and let the TV use its own filter, you get usually a cleaner image than directly plugging your system to the TV, but it's not as good as if you upscaled it of course.

On the other hand, the OSSC- is superior in most other areas, and it's better with 240p, which is most of the PS1 games and some PS2, and 480p, which is pretty much all the Wii and GC stuff (if you play with Progressive Scan forced), plus you could use the Wii's awesome 240p support for emulation and upscaling it over what a Wii U could offer.

Or, to summing it up, if you really want an upscaler, you have to either choose to give priority to the PS2 or the Wii.

I guess one option would be to get a GBS-C for your PS2 and connect the Wii to the TV through component directly. It'd be cheaper and the PS2 needs more help because of the Interlaced video mode.

Personally I give far more importance to the Wii as it offers me better picture quality for more systems to play (counting Wii, GC and all the emulation) while also giving more time to PS1 than PS2 games, so the OSSC fits better my needs. And I'm still fine with the PS2, with some scanline configuration often I don't even notice the interlaced flicker and I play on a desktop and close to the TV.

It can get pretty annoying to decide what to do because answers aren't simple, so I'm sorry I can't simply say "do this".

Reactions: jul16ares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, I dont have the other 3 wives