Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo DS Lite mini-Review

boxback.jpg

GBAtemp is happy to bring you a mini-review of the DS Lite. Hopfully it'll be helpful for those of you who are undecided as to whether to buy one. With the US release just a week away here's a look at the Australian DS Lite package.

Click HERE to read the review!

Also coming soon is an official guide full of helpful hints and explainations into installing Flashme on your new DS Lite.

TheRocK

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've read many reviews, but i really like to read even more of them, until i can get my hands on the DS Lite, which will hopefully be very soon.
Nice review, with many pictures, which is a good thing, since i don't like to read that much and just look at 1 picture.

gbtemp111

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
nice review. also, the lite screens are not only brighter than the psp's screen, but they perform much better outdoors. i myself don't like the glossy plastic finish so much, but it is quite comfortable to hold.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The improved appearance and longer battery life sounds appealing but, I thought the brightness of the original DS was OK. Weight wise, 57g lighter doesn't seem that much of a difference although, I'll have to try an actual DS Lite and see.

Right now, the DS Lite is like using an compact keyboard instead of a full-sized one to me
laugh.gif

Deletable_Man

Old Man
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the original DS had pretty good brightness too until I got a new pocketpc with some proper bitchin' backlighting going on. The lite seems to have that kinda sweet brightness going on as well. I'd totally get one if they were cheaper.

kelvinate

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The improved appearance and longer battery life sounds appealing but, I thought the brightness of the original DS was OK. Weight wise, 57g lighter doesn't seem that much of a difference although, I'll have to try an actual DS Lite and see.

Right now, the DS Lite is like using an compact keyboard instead of a full-sized one to me
laugh.gif

If you thought the original ds screen brightness is ok, then the ds lite brightness will hurt! I still cant get used to the highest brightness.

hey opium, couldnt you have stole the thumb strap from the original ds and transfer it to the ds lite? Thats what i did.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
hey opium, couldnt you have stole the thumb strap from the original ds and transfer it to the ds lite? Thats what i did.

I could have. But I'm selling my regular DS to a friend of mine
wink.gif
Plus the black chord doesn't look that great connected to the DS Lite.

Glad you guys enjoyed the review and even made a few people want to buy one now
grog.gif
I'm very happy with my purchase so I hope you will be too.

*edit* I've added an extra video to the review. But no voice over or anything that exciting, just if you guys want to see the DS Lite at some different angles and see the screens in action with a game.

Newbie1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good review. It makes me feel a little pissed that I just bought my DS before Christmas. Ah well, I love my DS, and I'll probably pick up a Lite if ever I need a replacement.

Daimos

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought one as my first DS (on launch), and I agree with most of that review. Dowsides:

-Start/Select Buttons very stiff and hard to push quickly.
-Screen seems to get superficially scratched easily (not sure if that is specific to this model).

Other that that I am very pleased with my purchase, and particualry recommend it to other people who never bought the original.

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you thought the original ds screen brightness is ok, then the ds lite brightness will hurt! I still cant get used to the highest brightness.

Put on some shades. It'll make you look cooler
wink.gif

For people who has an NDS Lite and think the brightness for the original was inadequate then, battery life isn't going to be much difference. Kind of like a laptop running on battery power; the brightness level makes quite a bit of difference.

I'm surprised they didn't do anything with the volume switch, though. Personally I find the slider difficult to make those tiny adjustments. If they changed it to the traditional little wheel it would have been a nice plus.

By the way, I noticed the power switch has been moved to the side... Is it easy to accidentally toggle the NDS Lite on or, does the lid have to be open before the switch will work?

With this new iteration, maybe those that thought the NDS looks like a Mattel toy will change their minds
tongue.gif

Anyway, I won't be getting one since I already have an NDS now. I'd rather spend the money to help pay for something else or even a PSP.
Cheaper? It's the same price as a regular DS.
wink2.gif
Really? The Lite version sells for £100 (US$188) including delivery cost here. The original only costs £70-80 (US$130-150) or cheaper.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
By the way, I noticed the power switch has been moved to the side... Is it easy to accidentally toggle the NDS Lite on or, does the lid have to be open before the switch will work?

No it's not easy to accidently hit the power trigger while playing. Don't expect it to happen. It requires a fair bit of force.

If you slide the power trigger up while the screens are still closed the DS will only boot up when you open the screens. So you wont have all your batteries drain away if for some unforseen reason the power trigger is activated while it's in your pocket/bag.

Gute

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well worth a couple of minutes of reading
smile.gif

With that review in mind i will have no problem on deciding on if i should by an original DS or a DS Lite.
Only waiting for the swedish release on june 22nd now
happy.gif

blurrysarah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice review.
I love my DS lite, after mooching off my boyfriend and using his DS for a few months, there is no way I'd ever play the DS phat again. The screen is approximately two billion times better, if a little oversaturated.

A few negatives:
- Start/Select buttons: Ridonkulously small, too stiff.
- D-pad: I find it too small, even with my little girly thumbs. Mine's also wobbly, and the sensitivity is really.....odd. Much prefer the DS phat D-pad.
- Power switch: Don't like the springy slider. Want to hear a satisfying click.
- Screen brightness: Not really a negative, I just can't use level 4. Retina-searingly bright.

chillyp

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can confirm what the review said about the thumb strap scratching screens, the one that came with my old DS scratched the hell out of my screen when I tried to use it with Metroid.

I have absolutely no idea how because it seems smooth all over, but I still managed it. There are two deep cuts and visible scratches where I used it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also