GBAtemp's Nintendo DS Lite mini-Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Jun 4, 2006.

Jun 4, 2006
  1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Nintendo DS Lite mini-Review

[​IMG]

GBAtemp is happy to bring you a mini-review of the DS Lite. Hopfully it'll be helpful for those of you who are undecided as to whether to buy one. With the US release just a week away here's a look at the Australian DS Lite package.

Click HERE to read the review!

Also coming soon is an official guide full of helpful hints and explainations into installing Flashme on your new DS Lite.

2. TheRocK

Member TheRocK GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    I've read many reviews, but i really like to read even more of them, until i can get my hands on the DS Lite, which will hopefully be very soon.
    Nice review, with many pictures, which is a good thing, since i don't like to read that much and just look at 1 picture.

3. gbtemp111

Newcomer gbtemp111 Advanced Member

Azerbaijan
    nice review. also, the lite screens are not only brighter than the psp's screen, but they perform much better outdoors. i myself don't like the glossy plastic finish so much, but it is quite comfortable to hold.

4. DarkLink

Member DarkLink Advanced Member

United States
    Darn you! I want one more now [​IMG]

5. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    good review

6. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    The improved appearance and longer battery life sounds appealing but, I thought the brightness of the original DS was OK. Weight wise, 57g lighter doesn't seem that much of a difference although, I'll have to try an actual DS Lite and see.

Right now, the DS Lite is like using an compact keyboard instead of a full-sized one to me [​IMG]

7. Deletable_Man

Member Deletable_Man Old Man

United States
    I thought the original DS had pretty good brightness too until I got a new pocketpc with some proper bitchin' backlighting going on. The lite seems to have that kinda sweet brightness going on as well. I'd totally get one if they were cheaper.

8. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    Wow, that brightness is AWESOME! [​IMG]

I seriously am buying on now!

9. kelvinate

Member kelvinate GBAtemp Regular

Australia

If you thought the original ds screen brightness is ok, then the ds lite brightness will hurt! I still cant get used to the highest brightness.

hey opium, couldnt you have stole the thumb strap from the original ds and transfer it to the ds lite? Thats what i did.

10. RueGorE

Member RueGorE GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Cheaper? It's the same price as a regular DS. [​IMG]

11. Opium
    OP

Australia
    I could have. But I'm selling my regular DS to a friend of mine [​IMG] Plus the black chord doesn't look that great connected to the DS Lite.

Glad you guys enjoyed the review and even made a few people want to buy one now [​IMG] I'm very happy with my purchase so I hope you will be too.

*edit* I've added an extra video to the review. But no voice over or anything that exciting, just if you guys want to see the DS Lite at some different angles and see the screens in action with a game.

12. Newbie1234

Newcomer Newbie1234 Newbie

Good review. It makes me feel a little pissed that I just bought my DS before Christmas. Ah well, I love my DS, and I'll probably pick up a Lite if ever I need a replacement.

13. theOtherGuy

Newcomer theOtherGuy Member

United States
    So sexy...now all we need is a black one. [​IMG]

14. Daimos

Member Daimos Advanced Member

Australia
    I bought one as my first DS (on launch), and I agree with most of that review. Dowsides:

-Start/Select Buttons very stiff and hard to push quickly.
    -Screen seems to get superficially scratched easily (not sure if that is specific to this model).

Other that that I am very pleased with my purchase, and particualry recommend it to other people who never bought the original.

15. x_comp

Member x_comp GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    Really? The Lite version sells for £100 (US$188) including delivery cost here. The original only costs £70-80 (US$130-150) or cheaper.

16. Opium
    OP

Australia
    No it's not easy to accidently hit the power trigger while playing. Don't expect it to happen. It requires a fair bit of force.

If you slide the power trigger up while the screens are still closed the DS will only boot up when you open the screens. So you wont have all your batteries drain away if for some unforseen reason the power trigger is activated while it's in your pocket/bag.

17. erbsland

Newcomer erbsland Member

Slovenia
    I'm seriously considering buying an additional weekend DSL! playing glossy white over lunch at work, and pitch black stylish on the weekends!

18. Gute

Newcomer Gute Member

Sweden
    Well worth a couple of minutes of reading [​IMG]
    With that review in mind i will have no problem on deciding on if i should by an original DS or a DS Lite.
    Only waiting for the swedish release on june 22nd now [​IMG]

19. blurrysarah

Newcomer blurrysarah Advanced Member

Australia
    Nice review.
    I love my DS lite, after mooching off my boyfriend and using his DS for a few months, there is no way I'd ever play the DS phat again. The screen is approximately two billion times better, if a little oversaturated.

A few negatives:
    - Start/Select buttons: Ridonkulously small, too stiff.
    - D-pad: I find it too small, even with my little girly thumbs. Mine's also wobbly, and the sensitivity is really.....odd. Much prefer the DS phat D-pad.
    - Power switch: Don't like the springy slider. Want to hear a satisfying click.
    - Screen brightness: Not really a negative, I just can't use level 4. Retina-searingly bright.

20. chillyp

Newcomer chillyp Advanced Member

Australia
    I can confirm what the review said about the thumb strap scratching screens, the one that came with my old DS scratched the hell out of my screen when I tried to use it with Metroid.

I have absolutely no idea how because it seems smooth all over, but I still managed it. There are two deep cuts and visible scratches where I used it.