Gbatemp Staff Meeting

  • Thread starter Thread starter KiVan
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 9,020
  • Replies Replies 67
gbatemp is going on a diet
wink.gif

good news hope these changes affect all the down time its been having as of late.
 
The 100x400 is always a suggestion, not a rule. We've got sigs like Ronin's, Kota's, and mine that are larger, and they don't break pages at ALL unless you're on *shudder* 640x480 resolution (if so... seek help).

Filesize is really all that matters. I could download a full-page 500KB image in exactly the same time as a 200x200, 500KB image, and it's the same bandwidth.

-Tempest out.-
 
well i wasn't really referring to the size of images as much as the additional content that some people feel the need to include

for example
one guy had a huge ass pic and like 6 lines of text underneath his pic for his sig

even Kyoji's 2 posts above is kinda annoying
it's just alot to filter through and annoying especailly if they post multiple times on the same page
 
well i wasn't really referring to the size of images as much as the additional content that some people feel the need to include

for example
one guy had a huge ass pic and like 6 lines of text underneath his pic for his sig

even Kyoji's 2 posts above is kinda annoying
it's just alot to filter through and annoying especailly if they post multiple times on the same page
agreed
 
well i wasn't really referring to the size of images as much as the additional content that some people feel the need to include

for example
one guy had a huge ass pic and like 6 lines of text underneath his pic for his sig

even Kyoji's 2 posts above is kinda annoying
it's just alot to filter through and annoying especailly if they post multiple times on the same page
your's is a little big. anything over that shouldn't be allowed. just plain annoying.
 
The rule I go by for the signature space is that when I post 1 line, that it doesn't exceed my information on the left of my post. That's just me though.
 
I just turn off signature viewing period. I've never seen a signature worth viewing multiple times in one thread. Speeds up browing for me, and filters out the crap. Same with avatars, turned 'em off.

That solves those problems.
smile.gif
 
well i wasn't really referring to the size of images as much as the additional content that some people feel the need to include

for example
one guy had a huge ass pic and like 6 lines of text underneath his pic for his sig

even Kyoji's 2 posts above is kinda annoying
it's just alot to filter through and annoying especailly if they post multiple times on the same page
Agreed, but it is fairly ironic considering you yourself have a sig image larger than the 400x100px "suggested" restriction...

p.s I promise not to go into that rule vs. suggestion thing again although when suggestion is placed before something like restriction it is effectively an oxymoron... not to mention KiVan said it was a rule anyway and asked people to make sure any large images were sorted out. Heh, nice to people like our very well respected TS setting a perfect example of course...
tongue.gif


p.p.s It's Width x Height, not the other way around! Ugh...*tries to imagine how screwed up the forum would be with everyones sigs being 100x400px...just trippled the amaount of scrolling I have to do*.

smile.gif
 
QUOTE said:
As requested by my staff , we are having new rules for signatures, starting from now 17 October 2003.

The max size allowed is now 400x100 Pixels

and the filesize should not be more than 50k.

Yup pretty much sounds like a rule to me, NOT a suggestion.
 
Yes dice, it was made to be a rule, but apparently some mods didn't want to change their sigs, so they claim it is a "suggestion". I wonder how many of those mods are considering a career in politics.
tongue.gif
 
I don't want to sound like the protest leader here but puck is really right here. I don't see why we should follow these rules when the staff members fail to do so. (God know why anyone would do so anyway) I know it really isn't such a big dreal especially with just one or two sigs here but it's the principle that counts here. Unless I see a note from one of the Admins stating that there's an "Exception to Staff members" I see a problem here.
 
Look guys, when the sig restriction rule was brought up (before it was made a rule) we had decided that 50kbs was the limit a sig could be, the 400 x 100 was a guideline for people to follow...

It doesn't matter if the image is 400 x 100 or 450 x 150 it will load up in the same time as long as it's under 50kbs...

So unless someone wants to push the rules to make a sig too big in size (breaking a page would be really pushing it, or one that is so long that it's annoying) or one that's over 50 kbs then there isn't a problem...
 
So unless someone wants to push the rules to make a sig too big in size (breaking a page would be really pushing it, or one that is so long that it's annoying) or one that's over 50 kbs then there isn't a problem...
The problem is, that people assume that everyone is able to view the site in a maximized browser. At work, I have to view this site in a minimized browser and there are sigs that break my pages. Tempest's comes really close, depending on the biggest username that has posted on that page, and Ahi's causes my page to break no matter what. Yes, I am running a resolution of 1280 x 1024, but that doesn't matter unless I am able to run my browser maximized, which I can't. If you don't want to call the 400 x 100 a rule, someone needs to change KiVan's post so that it specifies 50 kb as a rule and 400 x 100 as a guideline.
 
QUOTE said:
The max size allowed is now 400x100 Pixels
Hey Luse...I respect you...I hope you know that. But when you are posting rules and guidelines, you need to define the two more clearly. Obviously, the sig restriction is seen as a guideline as far as the actual pixel count goes. That's very obvious. However, it is clearly stated as a rule. In the future, it would be a lot better to state "50 kb is the maximum size allowed, and 400x100 is the recommended limit". Seems like the problem here was simply miscommunication that you have since cleared up. Probably could be easily avoided in the future, though.
 
Heh, Luse please re-read your second paragraph in your last post... then open PS, resize an image so it has a smaller document size, save with the same settings and then tell me again that there is no difference in filesize between the two...

Anyway I won't go into rambling on about stuff I already talked about in another topic to quite some depth...located here, so do yourself a favour and check that out as that has everything I want to say on the topic.

I don't think the issue really needs to be brought up again...though it really does annoy me how arrogant some people are trying to be in interpreting the restrictions as loosely as possible.

mad.gif
 

Site & Scene News