GBAtemp Game of the Year Winner

Capture.PNG

With 19% of the final vote and just 3 votes ahead of second favourite, Splatoon - Undertale is the winner of the first ever Official GBAtemp Game of the Year vote.
Don't blame us, you decided!

:arrow:Undertale Review
:arrow:GBAtemp GotY Final Round

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"B-but it must be because of tumblr or nostalgiafags! There's no way a game I don't like and have never played can actually be good!!!"

That's what you all sound like. I voted for Splatoon but you're all acting like edgy children who despise something only because it's popular.
I'm pretty sure that's the reason why people didn't vote for TW3. Too popular and has received too much praise already. But it's k, because Undertale is really good too. It's just that it's a smaller indie title with a much smaller scope in terms of design.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If people liked the writing and not the gameplay then they should buy a book. The other games had excellent writing, excellent settings, excellent sound, excellent graphics and, most importantly, excellent gameplay. Video games are a multifaceted medium and a Game of the Year should tick all the boxes in all departments. Undertale is just another "pseudo-retro" game that's designed to tickle your retro sensibilities - I'm sick and tired of this style. I'll go on a little tangent here because I think I know why people like it - they like it because it's so "retro". Pixelated graphics do not make a video game good, I can't wait till we finally get over this hurdle as gamers, because guess what? Big studios noticed this trend and are now releasing their own pixelated garbage, not because it's a form of artistic expression, but because they know their audience is a bunch of suckers that will gobble this sort of thing up no questions asked. I genuinely fear that this trend will be detrimental to aesthetics in video games. Retro games were pixelated due to technical limitations, not because the artists wanted them to look that way. Praising this style is the equivalent of wearing a moth-ridden and raggedy outfit bought in Goodwill and thinking that it's stylish - it's not, you're just wearing clothes that belong in a different decade. They're not "yours", this "style" doesn't belong to you, you're just appropriating it like a hipster because you've convinced yourself that it means something when it doesn't. To put it bluntly, it's fake. The only thing I see is that your shirt has a hole or two and I suspect that you have moth eggs in your pockets, so I won't invite you to my house - I like my *actual* clothes too much to risk contamination. The same applies to other "pseudo-retro" ideas like the lack of or really simplistic animation, outdated control schemes, distinct lack of modern features etc. - artificially making your product outdated in any aspect does not make it "good", "nostalgic" or "a throwback", it makes it crippled by design, and that doesn't sit well with me.
I'd have to disagree with this. Indie developers use the the aesthetics that they do for various reasons, but number one is that they can't afford to spend all their time, effort, and money on making their games the prettiest available. It's the gameplay and the writing and the unique mechanics that draw people to indies. Just as an example, I absolutely love Nuclear Throne. It's a game that I couldn't have played on my SNES, so it's not retro, but it does a great job of combining everything I loved about SNES games and everything I love about modern games. Some indies have sloppy gameplay or controls, but that happens with AAA games as well. I'd say neither market is better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of finding the individual titles within them that execute their concepts as perfectly as possible.

Some indies even manage to do 3D graphics/aesthetics very well. Ziggurat being one such example. Even uses the 3D space much better than a lot of FPS games out there.

Last edited by Xzi,

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
It's a matter of perspective, not taste. Giving GOTY to Undertale is like giving an Oscar to a backyard film by a no-name director with his cringy family starring as "actors" - it may be well-constructed and fun, but it's not the same caliber.
Caitlyn Jenner certainly deserved woman of the year though.

No, I don't see how this indy game, if truly measured with the same standards as The Witcher 3, should come close. They're in different leagues

And now to disagree with everyone saying "at least it wasn't Splatoon." Isn't Splatoon, like The Witcher 3, objectively a better game than Undertale simply because of it having more content? I would have much preferred Splatoon to win over Undertale. That said, I voted for The Witcher 3.

Edit: Regarding this:
If people liked the writing and not the gameplay then they should buy a book. The other games had excellent writing, excellent settings, excellent sound, excellent graphics and, most importantly, excellent gameplay. Video games are a multifaceted medium and a Game of the Year should tick all the boxes in all departments. Undertale is just another "pseudo-retro" game that's designed to tickle your retro sensibilities - I'm sick and tired of this style. I'll go on a little tangent here because I think I know why people like it - they like it because it's so "retro". Pixelated graphics do not make a video game good, I can't wait till we finally get over this hurdle as gamers, because guess what? Big studios noticed this trend and are now releasing their own pixelated garbage, not because it's a form of artistic expression, but because they know their audience is a bunch of suckers that will gobble this sort of thing up no questions asked. I genuinely fear that this trend will be detrimental to aesthetics in video games. Retro games were pixelated due to technical limitations, not because the artists wanted them to look that way. Praising this style is the equivalent of wearing a moth-ridden and raggedy outfit bought in Goodwill and thinking that it's stylish - it's not, you're just wearing clothes that belong in a different decade. They're not "yours", this "style" doesn't belong to you, you're just appropriating it like a hipster because you've convinced yourself that it means something when it doesn't. To put it bluntly, it's fake. The only thing I see is that your shirt has a hole or two and I suspect that you have moth eggs in your pockets, so I won't invite you to my house - I like my *actual* clothes too much to risk contamination. The same applies to other "pseudo-retro" ideas like the lack of or really simplistic animation, outdated control schemes, distinct lack of modern features etc. - artificially making your product outdated in any aspect does not make it "good", "nostalgic" or "a throwback", it makes it crippled by design, and that doesn't sit well with me.
Like I said before, I agree this game shouldn't win. But I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. Even though I understand your points. The post above mine explains my point of view of it pretty well. Shovel Knight for example I thought was amazing, in part due to the graphics. Wouldn't call it game of the year either but if Shovel Knight was made with modern graphics it would take a lot out of the experience in my opinion. There are just certain styles that work better with pixelated graphics, primarily platformers.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Caitlyn Jenner certainly deserved woman of the year though.
I can't even hear the name mentioned now without thinking about the South Park Caitlyn Jenner and laughing uncontrollably. Horrible, but keeping it 100. xD

Edit: Regarding this:
Like I said before, I agree this game shouldn't win. But I wholeheartedly disagree with you here. Even though I understand your points. The post above mine explains my point of view of it pretty well. Shovel Knight for example I thought was amazing, in part due to the graphics. Wouldn't call it game of the year either but if Shovel Knight was made with modern graphics it would take a lot out of the experience in my opinion. There are just certain styles that work better with pixelated graphics, primarily platformers.
Yes, Shovel Knight is a fantastic example of its genre, and an enjoyable game all-around.

Hyperstar96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popularity has nothing to do with quality, otherwise all the Justin Biebers of the world would be considered all-time classics. Games like The Witcher 3 are truly deserving of awards - they're a pinnacle of years of work, a seamless fruit of the labour of artists and coders alike, they blur the lines between video games and art. In stark contrast, Undertale is a derrivative small-scale Gamemaker production. There is just no comparison here, Undertale is not a "Game of the Year", it's the "Indie of the Week" at best. I can appreciate an Indie production for what it is, but the other picks were just objectively better in every department. Why should we use a different measuring stick for Undertale, because it's an Indie game? No chance.
I never said quality and popularity were connected. Besides, how is what you're saying any better? You seem to think I'm saying an indie game should be measured by different standards (which I'm not), yet you're going on the opposite end of the spectrum by saying no indie game should ever be compared to a AAA title. I say games should be compared by their quality alone, not by who makes them or how much time/money went into them. Otherwise Duke Nukem Forever would be GOAT.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone's being a big Pissbaby about the situation.

We aint the Game Awards or anything crazy, we're the GBAtemp awards as voted by our community, a community we really shouldn't be shitting on for their choice in gaming.

I made a lot of quips at Splatoon as the polls went on but I acknowledge it being a wonderful multiplayer experience and deserving of being a close second.

Undertale was a game I thought had way too much hype and buzz behind it to warrant the praise, but I think based on its comedic yet emotional storytelling in the limited scope it was presented in, and the cultural impact it had on the internet, I don't see it being an issue that it is our communities game of the year if that's truly what they decided on.

The dickheads shaming the community for their choice really don't have much to complain about when it's a community driven poll entirely based on the opinion of the majority here and not gamers worldwide. You'll obviously see a different skew elsewhere so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Congratulations to Toby Fox and his work on Undertale, a game I initially wrote off only to find myself enjoying its characters, embracing its story and loving its impact on the internet.

And thanks to the community that made their choice for our Game of The Year. Don't ever let anyone tell you your choice was a mistake or didn't matter. You love what you love :yayone:

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
I voted Bloodborne the whole way and if you look at the GotY banner, the Hunter already won the gold medal for 1st place.
Subliminal message fail.
I haven't played Undertale and probably won't any time soon.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw. I'm happy Undertale won. I haven't played it (I hate RPGs) but I have a friend who loves it like crazy. I mean, TPP and Witcher 3 are great and all, and maybe they have broader demographics, but the fans of Undertale have their friggen hearts melted by that game, and it's been a while since a game has done that.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aw. I'm happy Undertale won. I haven't played it (I hate RPGs) but I have a friend who loves it like crazy. I mean, TPP and Witcher 3 are great and all, and maybe they have broader demographics, but the fans of Undertale have their friggen hearts melted by that game, and it's been a while since a game has done that.
I hate RPGs as well (especially JRPGs), but I still found Undertale enjoyable and surprising. It's definitely not the greatest game, but it was really surprising and fun. I'd still recommend it to people who hate JRPGs. Though don't go in expecting it to be great. The hype that seems to have built up on the internet is misleading and if you go into it expecting it to be great, you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, people are so butthurt here it is difficult to grasp.
I would've prefered MGS:V to win, and that is what I selected, but undertale is a good experience and I understand that it won.
If there were so many members voting it, they might have liked it.
Accept it already, don't be old closed-minded grumpy persons.

PS: And if you never played it how may you understand what the experience is about?

@Foxi4: I disagree, VN are games; e.g. Tsukihime is a good gaming experience, even if all its gameplay is a couple of "Choose your own adventure"-style decisions.
PS: In the same vein, "To the moon" is an even better gaming experience.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Find me a book that lets me change the outcome of the story and knows what I did the last time I read it.

Last edited by osm70,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Y'all don't have to be all weepy just because your choice was criticized - there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with shame, either - it builds character. Besides, it's mostly in jest anyways - this was a majority decision and the majority has chosen - I can respect that. The majority however has to respect the fact that I find their choice terribad and they should feel bad about it. You're telling *me* not to shame people? Do you even know who I am? Shaming others for having opinions inferior to mine is my signature move, lel. ;O;

Reactions: vayanui8

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Yikes, someone thinks graphics are all that matters. And that shinier is better. Eww. No, I think the more polished the graphics are, the more it tends to take away from the actual experience. Older Final Fantasy games are better than modern ones, because there was more mystery, more player-imagination. It's hard for me to put into words, but I feel like I can truly enjoy a game better when I'm not caught up in how it looks, and instead am able to enjoy how a game feels. Edit: Nevermind the fact that the less time that has to be put into each art asset, the more actual content can be made. Both are part of why I prefer sketches in art over finished pieces.

And 'retro' art aside, do you seriously not acknowledge the quality of the music and impact of the story in the game? It honestly sounds like you're just a very bitter person who is only interested in mainstream gaming, who is annoyed that something like Undertale is getting noticed by the mainstream folks and having them question what gaming truly is about. :P

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Yikes, someone thinks graphics are all that matters. And that shinier is better. Eww. No, I think the more polished the graphics are, the more it tends to take away from the actual experience. Older Final Fantasy games are better than modern ones, because there was more mystery, more player-imagination. It's hard for me to put into words, but I feel like I can truly enjoy a game better when I'm not caught up in how it looks, and instead am able to enjoy how a game feels.

And 'retro' art aside, do you seriously not acknowledge the quality of the music and impact of the story in the game? It honestly sounds like you're just a very bitter person who is only interested in mainstream gaming, who is annoyed that something like Undertale is getting noticed by the mainstream folks and having them question what gaming truly is about. :P
About graphics of any game: I don't care how it looks, I care how it plays.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Y'all don't have to be all weepy just because your choice was criticized - there's nothing wrong with that. Frankly, there's nothing wrong with shame, either - it builds character. Besides, it's mostly in jest anyways - this was a majority decision and the majority has chosen - I can respect that. The majority however has to respect the fact that I find their choice terribad and they should feel bad about it. You're telling *me* not to shame people? Do you even know who I am? Shaming others for having opinions inferior to mine is my signature move, lel. ;O;
It wasn't anywhere close to a majority. It merely won a plurality by a hair.

Edit: and considering there were multiple rounds of voting with different numbers of games, it's kind of arbitrary that this particular round's plurality is the winner when in, say, round 1, you had a different plurality winner (and a second one also higher than the plurality winner of this round).

Last edited by grossaffe,
Reactions: Foxi4

Mr. Prince

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Ok I actually participated in the Undertale voting brigade in gamefaqs since it was just for the lols. I thought GBAtemp was more classy... Unless of course the voters legit thought that Undertale is more GOTY worthy than Bloodborne and The Witcher III.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
b-but the if the majority believes that a certain game is good enough to be GOTY isn't that kind of a sign that this time YOUR opinion is inferior?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if it is barely it's still majority dude
also the first round was just to filter it to a smaller number of games to select from
No, by definition it is not a majority. A majority is greater than fifty percent. The game did not even reach twenty percent. With the margin of victory of approximately one percent, and a margin of error of approximately 5.7%, the results are far from conclusive.

Also factoring in that earlier rounds allowed you to vote in more than one game while the final round does not, it promotes the passing forward of games that will poach votes from each other once multiple voting is no longer allowed. A niche game suffers not from this affliction as those who would vote for it would vote for only it.
For example, I would conjecture that many who voted to pass through Splatoon also voted to pass through Super Mario Maker. However in the final round, that group of people was then separated into whether they preferred Splatoon to Mario Maker or vice versa. Had one of those games been eliminated earlier on, then the other would have had more votes in the ultimate round of voting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y