GBAtemp Game of the Year Winner

Capture.PNG

With 19% of the final vote and just 3 votes ahead of second favourite, Splatoon - Undertale is the winner of the first ever Official GBAtemp Game of the Year vote.
Don't blame us, you decided!

:arrow:Undertale Review
:arrow:GBAtemp GotY Final Round

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Undertale is a good game but the fact it won here is a joke. Every other game in the final list is better, again im not hating on undertale because its easily in the top 10 best games this year, arguably in the top 5 too but top 3? No. I truely question how many other people have actually played it as apposed to seing it on youtube and being all "hey i like Undertale, give me a hipster t-shirt"

At least the REAL game of the year awards gave Witcher 3 its rightful place.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its Shin Megami Tensei man. Although it could also be argued that the SMT is more about talking your enemy down than sparing them.
Yes, yes it is....;) Undertale IS different enough due to the setting - it's a good game (but never GOTY material)

I feel like this was a pretty shitty year for games - Splatoon notwithstanding, most of the big titles people were hoping for either turned out to be glitchy messes (Fallout 4),

....See, I've got the Xbox One version of this, apparently the worst of the bunch, and have sunk HOURS into the game, yet where is this glitchy mess everyone keeps talking about?? It's no worse than every other Bethesda game out there (in fact I reckon it's one of the better ones!) and there's certainly been nothing game breaking: couple of crashes, needed to reset for the odd hiccup: I just don't see the problem! (Also been at it on the PC version recently, ditto with the lack of glitches)

Last edited by mightymuffy,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxy plz, how can you mention glitchout 4 as a goty runner up?? the bugs and glitches undermine the good aspects of the game.
Splatoon was a better candidate. fresh concept(see what I did there?), good multiplayer and the redeeming game for the poor Wii U. but don't know if worthy for gottempy (game of the gbatemp year?) TBH.
Bloodborne definitively need more love, that game is a blast and I found better than Demon's Souls(my personal favorite of the souls saga) every time I play it.

I'll say it, Bloodborne is my goty 2015.
Whenever I hear stuff like this, I have to wonder whether the author even played the game. I've been playing Fallout 4 since it came out and I've only encountered a handful of glitches, much less than I expected, having played F3, F: NV or Skyrim. F4 plays just fine, at least in my case.

D

Deleted User

I honestly don't even really like UNDERTALE anymore. I thought it was pretty good when I started playing it but now I find it to be just kinda... Okay, I guess.
It's still the only game I could've voted for, though. I don't think I'd played any of the other games that people could vote for at the beginning.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
There was one. And Undertale won it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/bge20_vote

I don't think it's the best game ever, but it was certainly my personal GOTY, and I can see why people love it so much. I can understand that it's not for everyone, but I think it's the most unique and well-executed game this year. A lot of creativity went into it, and all the different aspects of the game were executed nearly flawlessly. Not many games manage that.

No doubt games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are great games too, but they aren't really unique, they are just new additions to the giant pile that is mainstream AAA games. They're all the same to me. Which, if you like that sort of thing, is probably a good thing. They don't stand out like Undertale does though.

For me "best game ever" would probably be OoT. And it nearly won, too.
Okay, now I played undertale...
This is a simple game in my opinion, and it does not stand out in my world of gaming.
Played mostly rpgs in my days, and undertale is just a 8bit 16 bit rpg wannabee from the first hour or so. And its made with GAMEMAKER? C'mon!
can I have my money back?

Last edited by Hielkenator,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read this and was about to call bullshit. But then I looked it up.

Dude... I don't know what to say really. It doesn't make sense for this to win. Were people trolling?
You also have to understand the history behind the company that made it, though. The company is entirely made up of the people who write the "Homestuck" webcomic, and at one point they raised a kickstarter or something to have an offical company make them an official Homestuck videogame. They raised it and passed it on to the company, but the company ran off with the money, so they had to learn to make a game themselves. Undertale is their first game that they've ever produced, and basically a test run to see if anyone is interested in playing games that people as inexperienced as they had produced. Obviously, it was recieved pretty well.

Reactions: Deleted User

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Witcher 3 is game of the year by such a large margin its not even funny, it just sets new standards in scale and production that no game I have played before or since has matched. At least Splatoon didn't win though, I would have literally cut my own throat while hammering the delete forum button in the admin CP with my last dying spasms.

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also have to understand the history behind the company that made it, though. The company is entirely made up of the people who write the "Homestuck" webcomic, and at one point they raised a kickstarter or something to have an offical company make them an official Homestuck videogame. They raised it and passed it on to the company, but the company ran off with the money, so they had to learn to make a game themselves. Undertale is their first game that they've ever produced, and basically a test run to see if anyone is interested in playing games that people as inexperienced as they had produced. Obviously, it was recieved pretty well.

That explains why I haven't played it.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Okay, now I played undertale...
This is a simple game in my opinion, and it does not stand out in my world of gaming.
Played mostly rpgs in my days, and undertale is just a 8bit 16 bit rpg wannabee from the first hour or so. And its made with GAMEMAKER? C'mon!
can I have my money back?
Simple game and does not stand out - Have you played until the end? The final parts are amazing. The rest is just OK.

Gamemaker - And? Why does it matter?

Undertale is good game. I never heard of Homestuck.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would like to express my disappointment with each and every member of this community. I can't believe this game won over killer titles like MGS V: TPP, Fallout 4, Bloodborne or The Witcher 3. Clearly there's still lots of work to do for a cynical asshole like myself - I'll refine your tastes even if I have to bleach your tastebuds, you'll see. Don't disappoint me next year! :angry:

Blame tumblr hipsters

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
homestuck is one of the biggest pieces of shit to ever exist, so that really makes me lose faith in undertale...

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homestuck is a shitty webcomic. I was into it at one point but now I think it's TOTAL ASS

Some really obnoxious guy ruined Homestuck for me. Never read or seen it til I met him. He is the reason I cant stand tumblr, so if this game is basically The Homestuck Game by Tumblr then I cant for the life of me get into it.

Not saying its a bad game at all, but if its a seed from a poison tree I dont trust eatin that fruit.

tarovisions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is so completely incorrect that I'm forced to convince myself you aren't serious.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so completely incorrect that I'm forced to convince myself you aren't serious.
Ok, I looked it up and I was only partially wrong. The developer had formerly worked on the Homestuck webcomic as a musician during the whole "Hiveswap" videogame debacle. Regardless, it doesn't change my point, it was a person with very little experience in actual game making who decided to learn to create a game because of said incident

Edit: I should mention I also know next to nothing about Homestuck, and what I do know I know from @starly. She'll probably set the record straight now that I've tagged her

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

tarovisions

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I looked it up and I was only partially wrong. The developer had formerly worked on the Homestuck webcomic as a musician during the whole "Hiveswap" videogame debacle. Regardless, it doesn't change my point, it was a person with very little experience in actual game making who decided to learn to create a game because of said incident

Toby Fox had no relation to Hiveswap minus composure. Hiveswap is irrelevant to Undertale's conception.

If anything he was a prominent user on the starmen forums, where the official Undertale forum is hosted now.

Last edited by tarovisions,
D

Deleted User

Toby Fox had no relation to hiveswap at all.

If anything he was a prominent user on the starmen forums, where the official Undertale forum is hosted now.
Sounds like Starmen.net is gonna become a major clusterfuck... Or maybe it already has.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.