GBAtemp Game of the Year Winner

Capture.PNG

With 19% of the final vote and just 3 votes ahead of second favourite, Splatoon - Undertale is the winner of the first ever Official GBAtemp Game of the Year vote.
Don't blame us, you decided!

:arrow:Undertale Review
:arrow:GBAtemp GotY Final Round

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't care about your yellow name anymore.

You are a troll.
It's not trolling, just an accurate observation. ;O;
Yikes, someone thinks graphics are all that matters. And that shinier is better. Eww. No, I think the more polished the graphics are, the more it tends to take away from the actual experience. Older Final Fantasy games are better than modern ones, because there was more mystery, more player-imagination. It's hard for me to put into words, but I feel like I can truly enjoy a game better when I'm not caught up in how it looks, and instead am able to enjoy how a game feels. Edit: Nevermind the fact that the less time that has to be put into each art asset, the more actual content can be made. Both are part of why I prefer sketches in art over finished pieces.

And 'retro' art aside, do you seriously not acknowledge the quality of the music and impact of the story in the game? It honestly sounds like you're just a very bitter person who is only interested in mainstream gaming, who is annoyed that something like Undertale is getting noticed by the mainstream folks and having them question what gaming truly is about. :P
If you think graphics don't matter at all, why don't you play some good 'ol Atari? Preferably in monochrome, that's how true gamers play on the 2600. Top notch stuff, I'd know, I own one. I can enjoy that sort of thing on a retro machine because that's how it's meant to look - I don't have to accept it on a modern machine that can do a billion times better. Old school is endearing, I get it, but this is pretend-retro, there's no reason for it to look like a mess - it's shamelessly pandering to your retro sensibilities. I respect retro games because they achieved a certain level of graphical fidelity despite obstacles, I don't respect contemporary games that immitate this retro style to pander to the audience. Back in the day a good-looking game was a triumph of the skill of artists over the limitations of the machine, that's what made it impressive. A good game is an amalgamation of many disciplines, and those disciplines include aesthetics, whether you like it or not.
It wasn't anywhere close to a majority. It merely won a plurality by a hair.

Edit: and considering there were multiple rounds of voting with different numbers of games, it's kind of arbitrary that this particular round's plurality is the winner when in, say, round 1, you had a different plurality winner (and a second one also higher than the plurality winner of this round).
I misspoke, good point, you are correct - a majority is indeed over 50%.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
No, it's what simplicity equates to that doesn't look like total barf. If you want simplicity that isn't retro, you can enjoy a fine assortment of Flash games. Or maybe the Lego/Minecraft series are more your visual style. Some flash games are okay, but you can get much more out of pixel art. It has nothing to do with pandering or retro sensibilities, or anything like that. It feels like you've never taken an approach to this topic from an assets/development standpoint. It sounds like you just don't respect a game unless it's AAA and made by a big company. :( It sounds like you'd suddenly choose to hate Nintendo if they made a new Mario that wasn't UltraHD and instead was made with pixel art. Which, honestly, in my eyes, makes you a very bad reviewer. Far too biased to care about the opinion of. ^_^;

And to me, the shinier a game is, the easier it is to screw up the graphics, which most of them do. Even Xenoblade has graphical missteps (though I'd blame more of the issue with Xenoblade on UI and balancing)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, it's what simplicity equates to that doesn't look like total barf. If you want simplicity that isn't retro, you can enjoy a fine assortment of Flash games. Or maybe the Lego/Minecraft series are more your visual style. Some flash games are okay, but you can get much more out of pixel art. It has nothing to do with pandering or retro sensibilities, or anything like that. It feels like you've never taken an approach to this topic from an assets/development standpoint. It sounds like you just don't respect a game unless it's AAA and made by a big company. :( It sounds like you'd suddenly choose to hate Nintendo if they made a new Mario that wasn't UltraHD and instead was made with pixel art. Which, honestly, in my eyes, makes you a very bad reviewer. Far too biased to care about the opinion of. ^_^

And to me, the shinier a game is, the easier it is to screw up the graphics, which most of them do. Even Xenoblade has graphical missteps (though I'd blame more of the issue with Xenoblade on UI and balancing)
Please, don't give me the "assets" talk - there's no shortage of indie games that look servicable or even stunning. Let me make one thing clear - I don't hate pixel art - I hate pixel barf, and that's how Undertale looks like to me. Yes, the "shinier" a game is the easier it is to screw up, which goes against your initial point - making a visually stunning game clearly requires more attention to detail, skill and craft than making pixel barf, ergo by extension is more deserving of praise. I'm sick and tired of retro immitations - you can call it bias if you'd like, that doesn't change the way I feel about this negative trend. This hardly makes me a bad reviewer - to the contrary, it shows that I look at games from all the angles - deconstruct them and score individual elements like, y'know, an unbiased critic. There's plenty of 2D pixel art/sprite-based games that don't look awful, Undertale is just not one of them, instead, it's regressive on purpose. I won't talk about XC, my opinion on the game is already well-known.

Hint: Most of my posts are satirical in nature, take them with a pinch of salt and a good laugh. ;)

StriderVM

Trophies
XP
Country
OK. Who the heck rallied for Undertale!?!

Oh well. It's just a poll. No biggie. Undertale winning doesn't mean the other nominated games suck. YOU SHOULD PLAY THEM ALL!

The only game that I am kind of sad because it's been seeing very limited exposure is LISA : The Painful. It's like the dark and brooding brother to the happy and go lucky Undertale.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh well. It's just a poll. No biggie. Undertale winning doesn't mean the other nominated games suck. YOU SHOULD PLAY THEM ALL!

The only game that I am kind of sad because it's been seeing very limited exposure is LISA : The Painful. It's like the dark and brooding brother to the happy and go lucky Undertale.
I bought Lisa, but haven't played it yet due to various circumstances. Looks interesting, though. Can't wait to scoop my own eyeball out.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic

Undertale is happy? Did you ever heard of Genocide route?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted User

How did Undertale beat so many big name titles that actually had time and effort invested in them, that were both more fun to play and were actually competent games.

How to literally earn bank in 2016 with 3 easy steps:
1. Spend a week making sprites and dodgy art (don't worry if it looks bad just label it retro or cry indie)
2. Write a plot that is self aware and deep/edgy, get those hipsters frothing at the mouth
3. Slap it together in like game maker or rpg maker and watch the cash roll in

Reactions: vayanui8

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ah, I'll have to throw my input here. I've read quite a few remarks from members old and new regarding the vote and how it ended or should have ended. The vote is quite clear based on the rules that were set. Final round winner takes it all. Sure the end results between winner and second place was very close, but that's how it ended.

In any case, we've developed quite a nice discussion regarding what is actually considered a good game and how different aspects of a game can affect your perception of a good game. In many cases people have commented that focusing less on graphics and more on content will lead to a better experience. I have to disagree here, since the core content depends quite a bit from game to game. Take Call of Duty and imagine it's core feature. It is clearly a fast paced online multiplayer with a very clear goal in each match. If this is your most sought after feature, quite a few games in the list would be abysmal for you. If you look at games like The Witcher 3 and do the same evaluation, it's completely different: the vibrant world, the storytelling, the unlimited choices. These are all missing in Call of Duty.

Both of the examples are good indicators of some of the finest games in their genre this year. Regardless of you measure a game, telling a feature X is important while feature Y isn't is just plain asinine. You can't compare games directly, but you can always compare the experience as a whole. In this sense if Undertale has or hasn't made you have feelings as some have stated here, good for you. If it's the opposite for someone, don't shit on them. Shit on their comments, but not on the person. The holiday season should always bring the best in us, so lets aim for that too.

ps. The Witcher 3 Game of the Year. :toot:

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Ah, I'll have to throw my input here. I've read quite a few remarks from members old and new regarding the vote and how it ended or should have ended. The vote is quite clear based on the rules that were set. Final round winner takes it all. Sure the end results between winner and second place was very close, but that's how it ended.

In any case, we've developed quite a nice discussion regarding what is actually considered a good game and how different aspects of a game can affect your perception of a good game. In many cases people have commented that focusing less on graphics and more on content will lead to a better experience. I have to disagree here, since the core content depends quite a bit from game to game. Take Call of Duty and imagine it's core feature. It is clearly a fast paced online multiplayer with a very clear goal in each match. If this is your most sought after feature, quite a few games in the list would be abysmal for you. If you look at games like The Witcher 3 and do the same evaluation, it's completely different: the vibrant world, the storytelling, the unlimited choices. These are all missing in Call of Duty.

Both of the examples are good indicators of some of the finest games in their genre this year. Regardless of you measure a game, telling a feature X is important while feature Y isn't is just plain asinine. You can't compare games directly, but you can always compare the experience as a whole. In this sense if Undertale has or hasn't made you have feelings as some have stated here, good for you. If it's the opposite for someone, don't shit on them. Shit on their comments, but not on the person. The holiday season should always bring the best in us, so lets aim for that too.

ps. The Witcher 3 Game of the Year. :toot:
Really? This looks like flamewar to me.

Trolling

This Username is taken. Problem?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
How did Undertale beat so many big name titles that actually had time and effort invested in them, that were both more fun to play and were actually competent games.

How to literally earn bank in 2016 with 3 easy steps:
1. Spend a week making sprites and dodgy art (don't worry if it looks bad just label it retro or cry indie)
2. Write a plot that is self aware and deep/edgy, get those hipsters frothing at the mouth
3. Slap it together in like game maker or rpg maker and watch the cash roll in
No,no,no mate you forgot the most important step:
4. Add furry characters in your game so the furries can ship them on deviantart.
This will help the game to become popular ;)

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Personally I don't mind Undertale winning this. Do I think it's a good game? Heck yes. Do I think it deserves GOTY status? Not really but it's sitting up there right now so I'll take it. :P

If you have played the game and don't like it or aren't into it due to you not liking that genre, that's fine. It's not in your tastes and that's not a bad thing, but I don't see how people who haven't played the game make assumptions based on third party information. Fanbase? They represent people who are passionate for the game, not the game itself. As with anything of course there will be a few bad eggs or fans who you dislike, but everyone has their own way of expressing their passion; nobody said you had to like the way they express it. What's important is how you enjoy the game, if you do.

Critics? While it's a good rule of thumb to steer you one way or another on a game that's caught your eye, it's nothing compared to trying it out for yourself. It wasn't too long ago that we had just tv ads, maybe some magazines and the games themselves as the only thing to determine whether or not it was interesting enough checking out.

As for graphics, I wouldn't exactly call it a "dead" or "shameful" graphical style but an overshadowed one now that the gaming culture has evolved into 3D high res models and scenery. If anything there's nothing wrong with it at all; it's just that we're immersed in so much better looking visuals in games that it's become the standard for us and for most people, anything less in this day and age doing that style is sub-par. The graphics are complimentary to the game and it's theme anyway, as is any game out there.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Really? This looks like flamewar to me.
A difference of opinion is not a flame war - a flame war equals flinging curses and attacking individual members of the community. Everyone pretty much conceded the point that Undertale won fair and square, that doesn't mean that people can't express their dissatisfaction with the results of the poll. There's no hatchet to bury here, but nevertheless I think we should move on in this discussion.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I can understand where all the people saying "but you haven't played it" is coming from, but there is also something called taste and for example I don't like RTSs and thus I don't even try to touch these kind of games. Have anyone though that someone say that don't like Undertale because they simply put don't like these kind of game in general and let them be instead of trying to force them to touch something they don't like??
Foxi put a good example saying that he is tired of nostalgia retro games and no amount of pushing and whine is going to change that.

On the other hand, Undertale is bad. Period.

Reactions: dimmidice and Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1