OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, I found some time to work on it today and made some improvements:

Better memory protection emulation
- Moved the DTCM from 0x10000000 to 0x04F00000
- Changed the PU configuration; I was able to free a region, yay!
- The full 0x00000000-0x01000000 region is now protected against both
reading and writing, making it possible to emulate the undefined values
correctly

Polarium Advance and The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap now both work! There might be more games that work now :) gba games tend to be buggy and read from all over the place xD

D

Deleted User

I have tested these Games with the merged Version from 2017/01/08:

Daredevil (E):
I completed the First Level. The Game has much Slowdown. The Audio has some Noise and stuttering. Many Gfx Glitches on Screen. Playable.

Disney Princess - Royal Adventure (E): I walked around the Castle. The Game has much Slowdown. The Audio has much Noise and stuttering. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Disney Princess (UE): I tested all Characters. Many Gfx Glitches during the Introcutscene. The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. Playable.

Disney Sports - Basketball (E): I played a Match in Exhibition Mode. Almost Fullspeed with some Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Disney Sports - Football (E): The FMV Cutscenes are missing. I played a Match in Exhibition Mode. The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Many Gfx Glitches on Screen. Playable.

Disney Sports - Motocross (E): The Game freezes after pressing Start on the Titlescreen. Unplayable.

Disney Sports - Skateboarding (E): I played the Free Skate Mode with Micky. Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Disney Sports - Snowboarding (E): I played with Mickey. The Entire Snowpiste is Invisible. Maybe because it is streamed like a FMV. Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Unplayable.

Dogz (E): The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Dogz 2 (E): The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Dogz - Fashion (E): Full Speed. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Drill Dozer (U): I completed the Introduction. Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Polarium Advance and The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap now both work! There might be more games that work now :) gba games tend to be buggy and read from all over the place xD

Good News! :grog: I will use the updated Master for testing.

sion_zaphod

Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc
Trophies
XP
Country
How can I build the latest GBARunner2? I have tried using devkitpro but it errors out when I run MAKE. I have tried installing an older version of devkitarm ver41 which completes and builds the nds but if I try to run it the console crashes. Can someone either explain how to build correctly or upload a prebuild.

D

Deleted User

I tested some Games with the updated Master from 2017/01/30:

Alien Hominid (U): I get an UNDF Error after the BIOS Screen. Unplayable.

Iridion 3D (UE): The Game hangs after the Licensed by Screen. Unplayable.

Iridion 2 (E): Infinite loop on the Licensed by Screen. Unplayable.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (E): The Game freezes before the First Battle in the Game. Unplayable.

Metroid Fusion (E) (U): The Game freezes during the Introduction. Unplayable.

Metroid Zero Mission (E): The Game freezes after either collecting the Morph Ball or leaving the Room. Unplayable.

Polarium (E): Sram patching required to boot the Game. Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2 (U): The Game freezes before the First Fight. Unplayable.

Super Mario Bros 3 - Super Mario Advance 4 (E): The Game freezes after the Titlescreen. Unplayable.

The Legend of Zelda - The Minish Cap (U): I reached the Minish Village. The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise and stuttering.The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfc Glitches. Playable.

Wario Land 4 (UE): The Game freezes after activating the Portal to leave the Stage. Unplayable.

I uploaded the new Master Version Gericom provided for us.:)

Attachments

• GBArunner2.zip
    16 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: DrkBeam

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe is too much for me to ask for, but how do you install this homebrew? I tried running the thing but it just showed me a bunch of scrambled letters and numbers, I put gbarunner2.nds on the root, as well the gba bios renamed and the game "runner.gba" yet it doesn't work for me very well, is there something else that I missed? I'm sorry if this question has been asked several times before, but I'm really confused about this (I also read the previous pages and nothing, still confusing for me)

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe is too much for me to ask for, but how do you install this homebrew? I tried running the thing but it just showed me a bunch of scrambled letters and numbers, I put gbarunner2.nds on the root, as well the gba bios renamed and the game "runner.gba" yet it doesn't work for me very well, is there something else that I missed? I'm sorry if this question has been asked several times before, but I'm really confused about this (I also read the previous pages and nothing, still confusing for me)
Which card do you use? Does it show you FIND and COPY on the bottom screen?

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
@Gericom
Why is the runner.gba code so strict about the naming?
It would be great if we could set any gba file through an ini and have the ini be configured manually or throug twloader

bakawun

Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
twloader already provides the gui and i could add rom renaming but that would wear out the sdcard. i just need a non-destructive way to load a random .gba file.

I could look into adding this code to gbarunner but the file loading looks complicated compared to nds_bootstrap

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Gericom
Why is the runner.gba code so strict about the naming?
It would be great if we could set any gba file through an ini and have the ini be configured manually or throug twloader
The thing is that I wrote my own way of loading files from the fat filesystem. Currently the name is kinda hardcoded and it only searches the root directory for it. I would have to create functions to traverse the fat tree and stuff. I am going to do that, but it's not my number 1 priority right now. If someone would want to write such code for me, go ahead. The fat code is in c, so that's not the problem. Just make sure it fits in my current system.

D

Deleted User

I have tested Games with the updated Master from 2017/01/30:

Digimon - Battle Spirit (E):
I fought a Battle. Full Speed. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Digimon - Battle Spirit 2 (E): I fought a Battle. Full Speed. There is some Slowdown during the Battleload Screen. Very Good Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Digimon Racing (E): The Game freezes on the Griptonite Games Screen. Unplayable.

Dinotopia - The Timestone Pirates (UE): I get an PREF 20030056 Error on the Touchscreen after pressing start on the Titlescreen. Unplayable.

Donald Duck Advance (E): The FMV Intro is working. I completed the First Level. Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children - Messiah Riser (J): I fought the First Battle. Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children - Puzzle de Call! (J): Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Unfabulous (U): Full Speed. No Audio. Much Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Urban Yeti! (U): Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Urbz - Sims in the City (UE): Sram patching required to boot the Game. The Game has much Slowdown. No Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm sure it's already known, but the latest posted version here doesn't run with nds-bootstrap, just hangs at a red screen with "TEST" on the bottom. :(

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay, I switched to random cache replacement instead of lru. It seems to be either slightly faster or just as fast as lru. This is committed to master. I also committed a new experimental sound fifo emulation branch. It improves the sound of a couple of games (BIOS Intro, Mario Kart, Rayman Advance, Golden Sun 2 and maybe others, you might want to try which games sound better using this branch), but sounds worse for others. I hope I can improve it to work good for all games. Otherwise I'll have to make it a setting or something.

Reactions: AtlasFontaine
D

Deleted User

I have tested Games with the updated Master from 2017/01/30:

Sims - Bustin' Out (UE):
The Game has much Slowdown. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Sim City 2000 (E): I get a White Screen after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Sims 2 (UE): Sram patching required to boot the Game. Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Much Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Sims 2 - Pets (E): Sram patching required to boot the Game. Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Much Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Sitting Ducks (E): Full Speed. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Sky Dancers - They Magically Fly! (E): I played the First Level. The Game has much Slowdown. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Many Gfx Glitches. Unplayable.

Snood (E): I completed the First Stage. Full Speed. The Audio has much Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Snood 2 - Snoods on Vacation (E): The Game has too many Gfx Glitches on Screen during Gameplay. The Audio has much Noise. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Unplayable.

Soccer Kid (UE): I played the First Level. Full Speed. No Audio. Many Gfx Glitches on the Map Screen. Very Playable.

Sorry!, Aggravation, Scrabble Junior (U): Full Speed. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Sound of Thunder (E): The Game has much Slowdown. The Cutscenes are missing. No Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Space Invaders (UE): I get a Black Screen after the BIOS Intro. Unplayable.

Speedball 2 - Brutal Deluxe (E): I played a Quick Match. Full Speed. Very Good Audio. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Below is the new experimental Soundbranch Version Gericom talked about.

Attachments

• GBARunner2-sound_fifo_experiment.zip
    15.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

I tested some Games with the new experimental Soundbranch Version:

CT Special Forces (E):
Very Good Audio. Much Noise on the Pause Screen and during the Introduction. Small Improvement.

CT Special Forces 2 - Back to Hell (E): No Improvement.

CT Special Forces 3 - Bioterror (E): Very Good Audio. Some Noise and stuttering during the Licensed by Screen. Big Improvement.

Donkey Kong Country (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Especialy in the Water Level. Decrease.

Donkey Kong Country 2 (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Especialy in the Second and Water Level. Decrease.

Donkey Kong Country 3 (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Some Sound Effects like the Running Water in the Intro Level sound a bit clearer now. Decrease.

Doom (E): You can hear many randomly playing Sound Samples. Big Improvement.

Gekido Advance (E): Much Noise and stuttering. The Instruments sound a bit cleaner. Small Improvement.

Lego Bionicle Heroes (E): The Game is broken now. Both Screens turned black. Sram patching doesn´t help. No Improvement.

Metroid Fusion (U): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Metroid Zero Mission (E): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Tak - The Great Juju Challenge (E): The Audio is the same. No Improvement.

Tales of Phantasia (J): Very Good Audio Quality on the Titlescreen and Sound Menu. Only the Gameboy Sounds are missing now. Big Improvement.

Wario Ware Inc Mega Minigame Mania (E): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Wario Ware Twisted (U): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tested some Games with the new experimental Soundbranch Version:

CT Special Forces (E):
Very Good Audio. Much Noise on the Pause Screen and during the Introduction. Small Improvement.

CT Special Forces 2 - Back to Hell (E): No Improvement.

CT Special Forces 3 - Bioterror (E): Very Good Audio. Some Noise and stuttering during the Licensed by Screen. Big Improvement.

Donkey Kong Country (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Especialy in the Water Level. Decrease.

Donkey Kong Country 2 (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Especialy in the Second and Water Level. Decrease.

Donkey Kong Country 3 (E): The Audio has much more Noise and stuttering in this Version. Some Sound Effects like the Running Water in the Intro Level sound a bit clearer now. Decrease.

Doom (E): You can hear many randomly playing Sound Samples. Big Improvement.

Gekido Advance (E): Much Noise and stuttering. The Instruments sound a bit cleaner. Small Improvement.

Lego Bionicle Heroes (E): The Game is broken now. Both Screens turned black. Sram patching doesn´t help. No Improvement.

Metroid Fusion (U): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Metroid Zero Mission (E): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Tak - The Great Juju Challenge (E): The Audio is the same. No Improvement.

Tales of Phantasia (J): Very Good Audio Quality on the Titlescreen and Sound Menu. Only the Gameboy Sounds are missing now. Big Improvement.

Wario Ware Inc Mega Minigame Mania (E): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.

Wario Ware Twisted (U): You can hear a crackling Noise now. Small Improvement.
As you probably notice a bit, games that are heavier seem to work worse than games that are not as heavy. In the new branch the arm 7 invokes an interrupt on the arm 9 each time the fifo would have been filled on a gba. Only 16 of those requests can be queued at a moment currently. I am not sure if there are games which are not able to satisfy this requirement, but I guess this must be the case. Sadly interrupts are not the most reliable way to update such timing dependent stuff. I'm also very surprised that golden sun 2 works very well with a sample rate of 64kHz

Last edited by Gericom,
D

Deleted User

I have tested these Games with the updated Master from 2017/01/30:

Salt Lake 2002 (E): Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Samurai Deeper Kyo (U): I defeated the First Boss. Full Speed. No Audio. The Gameboy Sounds are missing. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Samurai Jack - The Amulet of Time (UE): I played the First Level. Full Speed. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Very Playable.

Santa Claus Jr. Advance (E): I played the First Level. Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise.The Audio loops on the Pause Menu. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Santa Claus Saves the Earth (E): I played the First Level. Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Santa Clause 3 - The Escape Clause (U): I completed the First Level. Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. Very Good Audio with a little Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Shanghai Advance (J): I played a Game. Almost Full Speed with some Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Very Playable.

Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder (UE): I played the Career Mode. The Game has much Slowdown. Good Audio with some Noise. Some Gfx Glitches. Playable.

Sheep (E): Full Speed. Good Audio with some Noise. Many Gfx Glitches on Screen. Playable.

Last edited by ,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Dodain47 You can put 2 versions of gbarunner2 on your ds if you want, if you want to test with the master and the sound fifo branch. Could be handy I think

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: \*teleports behind you\* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"