Homebrew gbaemu4ds: GBA emulator for DS(i) (DSi Entry)

Is the graphic better if you use the sc Version and the upper screen on a 3DS

• I can't do that (have no 3DS) (have not tested that)

Votes: 110 40.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 48 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 89 32.6%

• Total voters

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What's the point of Virtual Boy emulators?
The ability to play games that aren't available on other systems without rare and expensive hardware.

Which isn't the case here, as DS flash carts are cheap and everywhere and with updated software they can all play DS games.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried Beta 1's nifi. I don't think it worked. using R4s on DS lites, the 2 units kept scrolling through channels 1 through 12. There were no visible signs of syncing.

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried Beta 1's nifi. I don't think it worked. using R4s on DS lites, the 2 units kept scrolling through channels 1 through 12. There were no visible signs of syncing.
Have you configured one as master?

yea on my dsi and dslite, they were able to connect however the screen was black the display output wouldn't update on my dsi&AK2i
what dose the dslite say? is the dslite master?

ipwndeveloper

Trophies
Website
gb4iphone.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
the DSi was the master(for some reason the DSlite refused/Wouldent proceed on the menu). And on both devices after drawing the first frame both stopped refreshing the screen. However using an actual GBA I was able to identify the sounds that the games produced and determine how to get to the multiplayer settings. I was unable to recieve any packets on my packetlogger as they recognized but failed to connect

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ichichfly, I'm having some trouble trying to understand the patcher tutorial.

Step 1:
Run the modified Version of VisualBoyAdvance.exe and run the game you want to patch. The modified VisualBoyAdvance.exe will now collect data while running the game.
How long should I run the game in the modified emulator? Just give enough time for it to reach the title screen?

Step 4:
Enable change Sp if there was no error while opening the gba file
You mean the emulator shows an error message when we load some games?

Step 6:
Check if the max PC is to high (the emulator can handle a max PC of about 8300000(hex Val) depending on some other settings in the rom)
And do we do what if it's too high?

Step 7:
click on all instructions that are executed 100 times or more
Step 7.1:
Check the entry in the left box if there are more than one entries you have to check which entry is more likely the correct one by using an emulator and compare the data at the addresses in the box with the the address of the place where the instruction that accessed the I/O or card is.
Step 7.3:
use the emulator and Disassemble the instruction to ensure that Used 1/2 don't overlap with a register the instruction use.

This part is totally unclear. Should we click on the instruction, then look at it in the emulator's disassembly view and find out the proper registers that were used then check the appropriate boxes in that window?

And what about
Check the entry in the left box if there are more than one entries you have to check which entry is more likely the correct one by using an emulator and compare the data at the addresses in the box with the the address of the place where the instruction that accessed the I/O or card is
No idea of what's that supposed to mean.

Can you show us an example of you adding a patch?

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ichichfly, I'm having some trouble trying to understand the patcher tutorial.

Step 1:
Run the modified Version of VisualBoyAdvance.exe and run the game you want to patch. The modified VisualBoyAdvance.exe will now collect data while running the game.
How long should I run the game in the modified emulator? Just give enough time for it to reach the title screen?

Step 4:
Enable change Sp if there was no error while opening the gba file
You mean the emulator shows an error message when we load some games?

Step 6:
Check if the max PC is to high (the emulator can handle a max PC of about 8300000(hex Val) depending on some other settings in the rom)
And do we do what if it's too high?

Step 7:
click on all instructions that are executed 100 times or more
Step 7.1:
Check the entry in the left box if there are more than one entries you have to check which entry is more likely the correct one by using an emulator and compare the data at the addresses in the box with the the address of the place where the instruction that accessed the I/O or card is.
Step 7.3:
use the emulator and Disassemble the instruction to ensure that Used 1/2 don't overlap with a register the instruction use.

This part is totally unclear. Should we click on the instruction, then look at it in the emulator's disassembly view and find out the proper registers that were used then check the appropriate boxes in that window?

And what about
Check the entry in the left box if there are more than one entries you have to check which entry is more likely the correct one by using an emulator and compare the data at the addresses in the box with the the address of the place where the instruction that accessed the I/O or card is
No idea of what's that supposed to mean.

Can you show us an example of you adding a patch?
1. Depends on the game (But on most going to the title screen is OK on some you have to go to the place where the lag is)
4.error when you load the GBA file into the patcher
6.Well you could do some tweaking but well it needs some time 5 hour or so (most likely the game is patched or hacked)
7.You should go to the emulators disassembler view and most instructions use 2 or 3 register now there are two fields with Radio-Buttons. Check a register here that is not marked as don't use and is not used by the instruction

what about:
well you can skip that you most likely never need it and if you need it just skip the instruction. Or try if it works

here is an example of an patch http://www.mediafire.com/download/nxizu7yfa0kg1we/minish_cap.pat

add: I don't have much time for the emulator the in the next time

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see... so I only have to I just pick 2 registers not mentioned in the instruction... but what about that list on the left side? How do I know which offset to pick?
EDIT: Ah, I compare what's in those addresses to the instruction's bytes. Just open 2 memory viewer windows, jump to the instruction in one and jump to the offsets from the list in the other one then compare the windows...

And I check 'direct read offset' if that address is mentioned in the instruction?
Also what about that destructible register? When should we use it?

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I see... so I only have to I just pick 2 registers not mentioned in the instruction... but what about that list on the left side? How do I know which offset to pick?
EDIT: Ah, I compare what's in those addresses to the instruction's bytes. Just open 2 memory viewer windows, jump to the instruction in one and jump to the offsets from the list in the other one then compare the windows...

And I check 'direct read offset' if that address is mentioned in the instruction?
Also what about that destructible register? When should we use it?

1.yes
how many options are in the list?

Also what about that destructible register? No need to change them

I check 'direct read offset' if that address is mentioned in the instruction? Don't check that that is for tests

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is what I'm talking about:

pKfX3er.png

But I noticed that the first time we click any entry in 'dump Anzeiger' it doesn't get not marked. Only when we close the 'ADD' window and click the entry for a second time it gets marked.

For example, I have already saved a patch file and the program said 'sucessfully created 27 patches'. Then I click on another entry to add a new patch, set it up and hit 'Apply' (the checkbox won't be marked) and hit 'Close' then I go and save my patch again. It now says ''sucessfully created 29 patches'.

So it added an inactive patch? Do those checkbox have any purpose?

Also I'm using the patcher from github.

ichichfly

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is what I'm talking about:

pKfX3er.png

But I noticed that the first time we click any entry in 'dump Anzeiger' it doesn't get not marked. Only when we close the 'ADD' window and click the entry for a second time it gets marked.

For example, I have already saved a patch file and the program said 'sucessfully created 27 patches'. Then I click on another entry to add a new patch, set it up and hit 'Apply' (the checkbox won't be marked) and hit 'Close' then I go and save my patch again. It now says ''sucessfully created 29 patches'.

So it added an inactive patch? Do those checkbox have any purpose?

Also I'm using the patcher from github.

Do not click 2 times on an entry it will corrupt the patch (I have to fix that bug) (the checkboxes are currently not working)

jerbear64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that even supposed to be an argument? Historical preservation is VERY different from unneeded features.

Thanks for half backing me up. My point is one man's trash is another's treasure. The VB was hated by some as well as the Ace3DS. Yet homebrew came out for it. You may not like the Ace3DS but some love it, as it is their only flashcart but it does what they expected it to do. It may seem stupid to you but not to others. Not that I disagree, if you want to get it on the Ace figure it out.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The compatibility is really better at alpha 1 fix 1. Golden Sun - The Lost Age runs fine, only with awful sound and buggy battle graphics.
In alpha 2 and beta 1 it doesn't even boot...

And it seems the flash cart really makes a difference. You guys say Pokemon Fire Red works, but I tried (U and E) in all the 3 versions of the emulator and I always get a black screen after the name entry screen (music keeps playing though)

I'm running it on an R4iTT.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And it seems the flash cart really makes a difference. You guys say Pokemon Fire Red works, but I tried (U and E) in all the 3 versions of the emulator and I always get a black screen after the name entry screen (music keeps playing though)
No, that's one of the serious regressions in Beta 1 Test 1. None of my games work now. I'm surprised Golden Sun works, actually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F