Hacking gba tv tuner and nintendo ds

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have an answer, but keep in mind that if you're planning to use this for actual TV shows over the air, in the USA it will not work after February. I imagine the line-in feature will still let you use the GBA as a TV screen for other consoles though.

Electrically speaking, it should still work on a DS Phat. The only problem would be the physical form factor and whether it actually fits the hardware.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm not sure which one you are referring to, but the one I saw was designed so it would fit around a GBA.
So unless you take it apart it definitely will not work simply because you won't be able to insert it.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
GBA tv tuners are shaped to fit the original gba, I had one, it will not fit a ds (either fat, or lite), yes i tried, the edges that curve around the gba get in the way of the ds so the actual cart connector will not reach.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
I got one of the original tv tuner adaptors and they connected directly to the LCD via the ribbon cable.

From what I remember from converting laptop LCD screens to TVs and desktop monitors, the video controller ROM would be on the TV tuner unit and is made specifically for 1 type of screen. The DS screens are larger and would not be compatiple with the controller.

The only way around it would be to find a way to make a secondary TV controller chip to convert the output to work on the DS screen. That would mostly be beyond most of the people here.

I got some extra DS lite screens, I can see if a direct connect would work, I'll let you know if it works or not.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that, I think you might be a bit confused. I believe the OP is talking about a product called "GBA TV Tuner" which receives over-the-air TV broadcasts and displays them on the GBA screen. Not something like the GBA Transverber that outputs the GBA video to a TV.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I happen to have the older version. I did have to modify it's shell for it to work. But once you get it to physically fit in the DS, it will work just as well as on a real GBA/SP.

GBA/SP TV Tuner Modded:
modcs9.jpg

Tuner with my DS attached:
20874978pu8.jpg

What I did was take it apart, and carefully bent off the sides till they came off. It was pretty easy to do actually. Kind of ugly, but it works. I used tape to protect the exposed electronics. Afterwords it will fit the DS just fine. Don't have the DS Phat, but if I had one, I would of expected it to work fine on that too. I also have an original GBA and after modification it still fits that as well. Makes me kind of wander why they curved the dam thing anyway....

The curved shell was just a cosmetic thing to make it fit with the GBA shape. There isn't any electronics in the curved section, so the shell can easily be modified like this to fit the DS. Just keep in mind, even wiith the DS, you will still need to put a real GBA cart into the GBA slot of the TV Tuner for it to boot. Interestingly, if you don't, it will still how up in the DS menu as a "Option Pak".

Now if only someone made DS homebrew that can access this device.....

Also, there is in fact a proper digital TV tuner for the DS that goes in SLOT-1 and requires no batteries. Too bad it only works in Japan though....(It uses 1SEQ or something like that so it isn't compatible with North America's ATSC broadcast system
frown.gif
)

DanTheManMShow said:
_do_i_do_that, I think you might be a bit confused. I believe the OP is talking about a product called "GBA TV Tuner" which receives over-the-air TV broadcasts and displays them on the GBA screen. Not something like the GBA Transverber that outputs the GBA video to a TV.

If only they did have one for the DS. Playing the DS on a TV or being able to record stuff direct from the screen would make posting Youtube videos of DS games and homebrew a whole lot easier on the eyes.
tongue.gif

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more you guys talk about this, the more useful and awesome it looks.

But I shouldn't waste my good hard earned allowance on something that's not going to work after February 17th here in the States.

Meh.

Looks cool though.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Moved to more appropriate area..

Also I want to comment on Nintendos bad decision not bringing slot-1 TV tuner to America and Europe!!

I would love having possibility to watch TV on my NDS! I wonder how come there aren't any third party products?!

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Toni Plutonij said:
Also I want to comment on Nintendos bad decision not bringing slot-1 TV tuner to America and Europe!!

I would love having possibility to watch TV on my NDS! I wonder how come there aren't any third party products?!
You most likely know that already, but there's no original Nintendo product because necessary broadcasting standards aren't available outside Japan. Nintendo uses 1seg in Japan, its equivalents for Europe and USA would be DVB-H and ATSC-M/H, both haven't found any meaningful distribution over here. DVB-H died a quiet and painful death here in Germany after greedy broadcasters who wanted to charge for individual programmes and access deemed it to be not commercially attractive, since DVB-T can be used for free. I assume it's the same in the rest of the world, besides Japan.

DVB-T unfortunately is working very differently from services aimed at mobile usage, biggest differences are higher resolutions which need more decoding power and transmitters being "incompatible to each other", so you can't switch seamlessly from one transmitter to another while you're moving in e.g. a car. I assume that's why there are no third-party products, either. There currently are cheap DVB-T chips being produced, though, so I assume we will see such a product sooner or later.

Hope that was halfway understandable, currently I don't know how to explain these issues any better...

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah I understand what are you saying..
Shame that analog TV is dying, and digital is "impossible" to use on NDS!

I always wanted to have NDS TV adapter, but I guess it'll be hard to get something that works perfectly!
frown.gif

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Being that there yet no true DTV compatible portable TV. It would be a good idea marketing wise to have the TV tuner available in the US. Perhaps after the analog stations shutdown, Nintendo might decide to do it. Since as of yet, there is no portable TV that does DTV natively (at least none that I know of)

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Apache Thunder said:
Being that there yet no true DTV compatible portable TV. It would be a good idea marketing wise to have the TV tuner available in the US. Perhaps after the analog stations shutdown, Nintendo might decide to do it. Since as of yet, there is no portable TV that does DTV natively (at least none that I know of)
No idea how the situation in the USA is (especially since your DTV standard includes H.264/MPEG-4 AVC encoded video, AFAIK, which is harder to decode), but here in Europe there are several portable TVs and DVD players and even mobile phones available that support the (not-so-mobile) DVB-T standard, e.g. the LG HB620-T. That phone is quite cheap, too, at ~100 EUR without contract.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Too bad I don't live in Europe....lol

Looks like there is a portable ATSC TV for the US:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/16/best-bu...table-atsc-lcd/

Kind of expensive though. Would still make the possible TV tuner for DS users cheaper. (assuming they already own a DS, then it would probably cost more to buy both a DS and a TV tuner at the same time)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s